Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sonyeoshin
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 5:00a - 10:30p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old May 8, 2024, 7:11 am

Spent some two hours here mid-late afternoon on Apr11, waiting for my OS flight.
Was told that it would take 15-20 min to get a table, yet not even half the tables were occupied. Went to the bar and within 5 min got the txt that my table is ready.

The cheese dish was a joke, the other OK.
But both mains were good. I just wish they would stop serving cremated wedges and have proper fries instead.

The bar served good spirits (saw Talisker 10) and buffet options I felt were better than at ORD.

It got fuller during the afternoon but never to breaking point.
Old May 8, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by omxfl
buffet options I felt were better than at ORD.
Very surprising.
lessthanzero likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by omxfl
and buffet options I felt were better than at ORD.
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Very surprising.
Was thinking the same thing. I've always felt EWR buffet was the weakest of the PLs I visit regularly (IAD, ORD, EWR).

Though my last visit to ORD PL (couple weeks ago) seemed the buffet was a step down from previous visits.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:19 pm

Has anyone else noticed a very poor internet connection at this lounge? In the morning when the lounge is less full, the connection speed and latency is acceptable but not very good. In the afternoon, it becomes unbearably slow and unreliable. For example, I resorted to just using my cell phone to check my flight status because I couldn't get it to load on the wifi, and when I tried a video call the connection kept dropping.

I think I first noticed this issue starting some time this year. It's happened several times in the last few months. Last year, I had no trouble at all even during peak hours.
Old May 25, 2024, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Was thinking the same thing. I've always felt EWR buffet was the weakest of the PLs I visit regularly (IAD, ORD, EWR).

Though my last visit to ORD PL (couple weeks ago) seemed the buffet was a step down from previous visits.
My last visit through EWR PL (~2 wks ago) the buffet was half-decent for once. Asian Salmon and Mexican Chicken IIRC. Not as good as the LHR UC, though.
narvik likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by meijiem
Has anyone else noticed a very poor internet connection at this lounge?
Never had an issue. I use the time in the lounge to download movies before the flight, as the speed is faster than at home.
(Admittedly almost exclusively early morning visits)
meijiem likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by meijiem
Has anyone else noticed a very poor internet connection at this lounge? In the morning when the lounge is less full, the connection speed and latency is acceptable but not very good. In the afternoon, it becomes unbearably slow and unreliable. For example, I resorted to just using my cell phone to check my flight status because I couldn't get it to load on the wifi, and when I tried a video call the connection kept dropping.

I think I first noticed this issue starting some time this year. It's happened several times in the last few months. Last year, I had no trouble at all even during peak hours.
Just tested on my phone and got 46 mbits down/11 up, pretty packed for the red-eyes to Europe right now.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
My last visit through EWR PL (~2 wks ago) the buffet was half-decent for once. Asian Salmon and Mexican Chicken IIRC. Not as good as the LHR UC, though.
Mexican chicken was pretty good, definitely better than the burger in the restaurant, which feels like it's getting worse over time. Wife says the salmon is better than the chicken.
meijiem likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 26, 2024 at 8:21 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 29, 2024, 6:08 pm

Programs: Star alliance Gold, United 1K
I always eat in the restaurants and think the food at EWR is much better than at IAH and LAX. I had the avocado toast on the menu at LAX and I was served a plain piece of toast with some mashed avocado on it. I asked for some pico de gallo or salsa to add some flavor and they said they had none. (I complained to the chef.) IAH is often over crowded and the food is just not very good. The wait staff at IAH provide poor service. On the other hand, EWR has tasty food, seats are usually available right away and the wait staff is attentive.
physioprof likes this.
Old May 31, 2024, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've got a 6am flight. Assuming it departs from C, I can visit PL briefly as it opens at 5am. I assume the dining room wont be open nor will I have time. Will there be any food at the buffet?
Old Jun 5, 2024, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by eng3
I've got a 6am flight. Assuming it departs from C, I can visit PL briefly as it opens at 5am. I assume the dining room wont be open nor will I have time. Will there be any food at the buffet?
The answer is Yes but nothing hot. I was only there for 15-20 min after opening til I had to leave to catch my flight. Of course I'm at the gate now and they tell me it's delayed with no estimate
Old Jun 13, 2024, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Stopped by for the first time in a few months before EWR-ATH yesterday. The lounge at that time is not too crowded, which was nice. However, I feel like the in-lounge dining was downgraded a bit. The burger - which I am still a fan of, flavor-wise - appears to have shrunk considerably. The wedge fries are also ridiculously big - like they just sliced the potato from end to end and fried it…does it really save money vs. cutting it into slightly smaller pieces? The United Polaris Star cocktail was also materially worse versus the last time I had tried it…it was nearly room temperature, and the mix of ingredients was off.

The salad bar food was fine, but I was disappointed that the burger, which has been a staple on the menu and had been substantial in portion (along with being delicious) is facing budget pressures.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Stopped by for the first time in a few months before EWR-ATH yesterday. The lounge at that time is not too crowded, which was nice. However, I feel like the in-lounge dining was downgraded a bit. The burger - which I am still a fan of, flavor-wise - appears to have shrunk considerably. The wedge fries are also ridiculously big - like they just sliced the potato from end to end and fried itdoes it really save money vs. cutting it into slightly smaller pieces? The United Polaris Star cocktail was also materially worse versus the last time I had tried itit was nearly room temperature, and the mix of ingredients was off.

The salad bar food was fine, but I was disappointed that the burger, which has been a staple on the menu and had been substantial in portion (along with being delicious) is facing budget pressures.
Burger is inconsistent there now in my experience. Wife and I went 2 months ago and hers was much better than mine despite ordering at the same time. Agreed on the fries, felt too dry with the size.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Burger is inconsistent there now in my experience. Wife and I went 2 months ago and hers was much better than mine despite ordering at the same time. Agreed on the fries, felt too dry with the size.
#firstworldproblems but then I also agree. Currently at the PL lounge at EWR. Started with breakfast, and thanks to my connecting flight being early compared to the TATL, also got lunch. After we deplaned for a mechanical issue, I may be having dinner. 😁

Food is good here, and service is surprisingly good too, given the general forum hate for EWR. Although the dining room feels like a cafeteria, it has great views and the food has been good. And did I mention the service? People have jobs. We do to, and theres part that hates our jobs given how much time we spend with it, and not at home. No complaints with the at least 4 people I have interacted repeatedly so far. (Also, tipping helps.)

The flight crew on the other hand Would it be so horrible to offer a pre flight beverage? Not really. And when were spending almost 2 hours before being deplaned, not so hard At the same time, if it was me, I would probably not be too happy about my away hours being extended by 30-50%. (Of course, at this point, we probably have a fully new crew - if we ever take off, that is).
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 7:58 am

Where is there space for an EWR Polaris Lounge expansion?
Old Jun 24, 2024, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lessthanzero
Food is good here, and service is surprisingly good too, given the general forum hate for EWR. Although the dining room feels like a cafeteria, it has great views and the food has been good. And did I mention the service? People have jobs. We do to, and theres part that hates our jobs given how much time we spend with it, and not at home. No complaints with the at least 4 people I have interacted repeatedly so far. (Also, tipping helps.)
Yes, I find the service in the dining room to generally be friendly, I do think they are working for tips (not to get into that conversation ) as many people do leave something (but many don't). That said they don't control the kitchen although personally I haven't had a major problem with slow food service.
Service elsewhere in the lounge can be hit-or-miss. Sometimes there are staff members chit-chatting in the back while dishes and glasses are piled up all over the place. But they're usually friendly enough when they do come through (I mean, if you say "thank you" when they clear your area, they usually say "you're welcome" )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.