Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 17, 20, 10:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 4:30a - 10:45p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, .. (wiki)
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 20, 22, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
It was nearly empty on September 8 from about 7:00am-9:30am. The flip side is that I had to wait nearly 15 minutes for someone to appear to seat me, despite the dining room being empty (save for 2 people who left while I was waiting). I inquired with the bartender, who was clueless. This was at about 7:45am. After I showered At least the food arrived very quickly, and was worth the wait.
Old Sep 20, 22, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrived a little after 8pm on a recent Saturday night. Lounge was not overly crowded although they were taking names for dining despite empty tables due to staffing apparently. Was told 30 minutes but it was closer to 20. I just wanted to try the burger - it was a bit slow coming out but overall decent. Would be better with bacon.

My main complaint is that there were dirty dishes piled up EVERYWHERE. And a few staff members in the back by the coffee machines, who may or may not have been on break, gossiping and playing on their phones.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.9+ MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post

My main complaint is that there were dirty dishes piled up EVERYWHERE. And a few staff members in the back by the coffee machines, who may or may not have been on break, gossiping and playing on their phones.
Well, its EWR🤣. Enough said!
Old Sep 21, 22, 9:40 am

Programs: UA1K MM, Marriott Titanium
Skipped the PL when I saw the following last Monday around 4pm.
Old Sep 21, 22, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS 2.9+ MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Thats pathetic 👎
Old Sep 21, 22, 10:26 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM/Lifetime UC, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by gokeeper View Post
Skipped the PL when I saw the following last Monday around 4pm.
Make sure you send a complaint about that!
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I guess you have to arrive by 4 if you have a 6-7pm flight and want time for preflight dining!
SPN Lifer and benewr like this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Well I guess you have to arrive by 4 if you have a 6-7pm flight and want time for preflight dining!
Thats my strategy but it actually makes the crowding of the lounge worse!
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 4, 22, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
An employee at the lounge must have read these reviews and said... hold my beer.
Got in around 8:15PM and asked to be put on the list for dinner. Sat at the table in front of the attendant, as I was told it would only be a few minutes.
Noticed other people were getting seated, so after 15 min, went back up to the attendant. She said she had been paging me and since I didnt respond, I was taken off the list.
She seated me within a few minutes.
Waited for a while and my order was taken at 8:50PM. My food showed up at 9:35PM. I was told the kitchen staff "had forgotten about it".

Afterwards, I went over to the main entrance area and before leaving, turned around since I had forgotten something. The guy sitting behind the desk yelled at me and said he needed to check me in, "since he hadn't seen me before". I told him I was already checked in and needed to retrieve something I forgot. He demanded I checked in with him since that was protocol... I showed him my boarding pass, and then he claimed I was breaching protocol and he was going to deny me access, and call the police. I went to retrieve my item anyways as he was yelling at me, and then left...

I seriously don't understand what's up with this place, especially compared to the experience I have had at some of the other lounges.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Oct 4, 22, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dimramon View Post
An employee at the lounge must have read these reviews and said... hold my beer.
Got in around 8:15PM and asked to be put on the list for dinner. Sat at the table in front of the attendant, as I was told it would only be a few minutes.
Noticed other people were getting seated, so after 15 min, went back up to the attendant. She said she had been paging me and since I didnt respond, I was taken off the list.
Waited for a while and my order was taken at 8:50PM. My food showed up at 9:35PM. I was told the kitchen staff "had forgotten about it".

Afterwards, I went over to the main entrance area and before leaving, turned around since I had forgotten something. The guy sitting behind the desk yelled at me and said he needed to check me in, "since he hadn't seen me before". I told him I was already checked in and needed to retrieve something I forgot. He demanded I checked in with him since that was protocol... I showed him my boarding pass, and then he claimed I was breaching protocol and he was going to deny me access, and call the police. I went to retrieve my item anyways as he was yelling at me, and then left...

I seriously don't understand what's up with this place, especially compared to the experience I have had at some of the other lounges.
Jesus. What's going on over there? That's terrible...
Old Oct 4, 22, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by as219 View Post
Jesus. What's going on over there? That's terrible...
It is EWR, not another airport in the UA system.
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 4, 22, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Like others have pointed out, you and I might call this disgusting, terrible, or obnoxious....

At EWR it's simply called Monday.
Old Oct 4, 22, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

You need to write this in please - there is zero excuse, including "it's Newark".
zombietooth and tcdtcd like this.
Old Oct 4, 22, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Silver

I can maybe forgive the restaurant waiters because they are understaffed, and the restaurant host because people are probably demanding, horrified at having to wait, etc, but the EWR front staff really put the dragon in ____ ____.

My experiences:
- No warm or friendly greeting. They expect everyone, regardless of age or if they are a first-timer, to intuitively scan their own boarding pass, after which they delightedly snap "Passport!"
- I had one (decent) staff member come up to 3 of us queued up in the back for agent assistance with rebookings - she sent us to the front desk to speed things up where those staff, all three of them, looked perplexed and sent us back "we can't help you".
- I had a 3 hour flight delay and asked on the way out of the PL if they could help with the LH connection at the other end, which was met with a firm "no" (and nothing else).

I find at the EWR PL, you have to help yourself. Sit at the restaurant, order food, but then go get your own drink (or two) to speed things along, grab 2-3 waters from the self-serve fridge. Find a good bartender and stick with them; try to interact one or two staff at most, and get out.
Old Oct 4, 22, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be fair, the front desk agents are probably accustomed to people trying all sorts of tricks to get in. I was once sitting near the entrance desk of a Delta lounge (at JFK) and they were literally turning away half the people who tried to come in. Mostly domestic or short-haul first/business class tickets. The PL prob has to deal with that as well as UA club members, *Gold passengers, and domestic Polaris pax. So maybe that pushes them over the edge vs the DL agents who turned away every other pax without being jerks about it.
seanp7 likes this.

Search this Thread