Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 17, 20, 10:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 4:30a - 10:45p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, .. (wiki)
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 19, 22, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
A little lackluster. I was on a podcast with Maximilian Riedel, He stated that a champagne flute is not the perfect vessel to serve champagne. A wine glass is a good substitution. Riedel is making varietal specific glassware these days, they have a bulbous looking champagne flute which seems quite interesting to try. So if they ever run out a flutes just ask for a wine glass, I think youll be in much better shape than a martini glass.

However UA if youre listening this is really bad what happened to the EWR Polaris lounge. Im going to be there in a few weeks I think the new lounge at C123 may be a better option!
Old Sep 19, 22, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC; Avis PC
First time back in a Polaris lounge since April 2019no more cocktail / drinks list! I loved getting a Paper Plane in my past experiences here and was really looking forward to it again. Instead sipping on an unnamed glass of Napa Chardonnay. Massive thumbs down

ETA: also given a half-hour wait time for a seat in the dining room even though theres plenty of seating availablenever happened to me in the past. When there was an open seat, you were seated right away. Unsure what other Polaris experiences are like in other locations but this feels like a very nice United club, decor-wise, but a big step down from what it used to be.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Sep 19, 22 at 7:14 pm
Old Sep 19, 22, 7:54 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
First time back in a Polaris lounge since April 2019no more cocktail / drinks list! I loved getting a Paper Plane in my past experiences here and was really looking forward to it again. Instead sipping on an unnamed glass of Napa Chardonnay. Massive thumbs down

ETA: also given a half-hour wait time for a seat in the dining room even though theres plenty of seating availablenever happened to me in the past. When there was an open seat, you were seated right away. Unsure what other Polaris experiences are like in other locations but this feels like a very nice United club, decor-wise, but a big step down from what it used to be.
Dis you happen to ask for the cocktail? Im curious what their level of bartending skill is -
Old Sep 19, 22, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC; Avis PC
Originally Posted by United747 View Post
Dis you happen to ask for the cocktail? Im curious what their level of bartending skill is -
I asked if they made cocktails. Response was no, there is no menu. Saw him later making a G&T but thats not my jam / past experience with UC bartenders freestyling cocktails is notgreat, to put it kindly.
United747 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 22, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Dis you happen to ask for the cocktail? I’m curious what their level of bartending skill is -
WIth the operation being staffed/managed by an outside contractor, my expectations have been low since the opening of the Polaris Lounges. When they first opened, one could find a bartender who could make the menu cocktails (Cloud Cover was my favorite). Most of the bartenders have, at best, minimal skills - if they were better, they wouldn't have to work for a contractor at a PL. I was at SFO once and I asked for one of the menu cocktails and the 3 bartenders looked distressed because the one who knew how to make it by memory wasn't there. Pour beer and wine? No problem. Order something conveniently named like "rum and coke"? No problem - mainly because the name says what's in it. Anything else and it's like watching bartenders make drinks in the first 10 minutes of a Bar Rescue episode. There is a serious lack of knowledge and consistency. Keep your bar requests simple and you're likely to be less disapponted. I was on a Celebrity cruise last week - the knowledge and consistency was very noticeable. Celebrity's bartenders are hired and trained, PL bartenders are hired.
747FC likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 19, 22 at 8:53 pm
Old Sep 19, 22, 8:44 pm

I asked if they made cocktails. Response was no, there is no menu. Saw him later making a G&T but thats not my jam / past experience with UC bartenders freestyling cocktails is notgreat, to put it kindly.
Figured as much. Might as well make the beer and wine self-pour
Old Sep 19, 22, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
WIth the operation being staffed/managed by an outside contractor, my expectations have been low since the opening of the Polaris Lounges. When they first opened, one could find a bartender who could make the menu cocktails. Most of the bartenders have, at best, minimal skills - if they were better, they wouldn't have to work for a contractor at a PL. I was at SFO once and I asked for one of the menu cocktails and the 3 bartenders looked distressed because the one who knew how to make it by memory wasn't there. Pour beer and wine? No problem. Order something conveniently named rum and coke? No problem - mainly because the name says what's in it. Anything else and it's like watching bartenders make drinks in the first 10 minutes of a Bar Rescue episode. There is a serious lack of knowledge and consistency. Keep your bar requests simple and you're likely to be less disapponted. I was on a Celebrity cruise last week - the knowledge and consistency was very noticeable. Celebrity's bartenders are hired and trained, PL bartenders are hired.
I sent an email to the operator of the PL at EWR today. Hopefully Ill get a reply, I wanted to make them aware of us at Flyertalk and the concerns that we all have based on actual experience along with what we are posting/reading of late regarding the EWR PL lounge. If I get any traction Ill let you know
cesco.g likes this.
Old Sep 19, 22, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
I sent an email to the operator of the PL at EWR today. Hopefully Ill get a reply, I wanted to make them aware of us at Flyertalk and the concerns that we all have been experiencing and posting/reading of late at the EWR PL lounge. If I get any traction Ill let you know
IMO, as long as theyre meeting their metrics with UA, nothing will change

EDIT: Im not saying they are; in fact, I hope they are underperforming. My visits have been not good
Old Sep 19, 22, 8:48 pm

IMO, as long as theyre meeting their SLAs with UA, nothing will change
SLA? Who determines the service level agreement? Secret shoppers, united management, or the bartenders?
United747 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 22, 8:49 pm

SLA?
Sorry, service-level agreement - I updated my post above
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 19, 22, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by hirohito888 View Post
Another subpar experience at EWR Polaris lounge today, not surprised.

At least they didn't run out of champagne, it was Charles de Fere, not good at all.
As noted above, that isn't Champagne. It is an average mousseux wine. Like a prosecco.
Old Sep 19, 22, 11:07 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
I sent an email to the operator of the PL at EWR today. Hopefully Ill get a reply, I wanted to make them aware of us at Flyertalk and the concerns that we all have based on actual experience along with what we are posting/reading of late regarding the EWR PL lounge. If I get any traction Ill let you know
glad you did! Care to share your main concerns you voiced about the EWR PL and UC in your email?
Old Sep 20, 22, 5:58 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I think it's a staffing issue, either wait staff or kitchen. From sitting there, I could observe they were stretched, but that's no excuse to make passengers wait when there's empty tables.

Another tacky thing they did was that they primed the tip jar (the candle decoration) with $10 and $20 bills. And left it there so passengers would tip. I usually leave a few dollars.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hirohito888 View Post

Another tacky thing they did was that they primed the tip jar (the candle decoration) with $10 and $20 bills. .
Interesting. I hadn't noticed that.
Could be worse, I guess: $50 and $100 bills!
Old Sep 20, 22, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat
It was a zoo August 28 when I was there. Hard to find seats. There was no chardonnay left in the club. A friend arrived on an earlier flight and booked us a dinner reservation. Honored on time. Food was served quickly and was pretty tasty. We left after eating and went to the regular club for half an hour, as it was nearer to our gate. It was an oasis of calm compared to Polaris. I was glad to have the chance to check it out.
SS255 likes this.

Search this Thread