Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 4:30a - 10:45p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by eng3
Had breakfast and lunch due to a cancellation/delay:

"United" bowl and yogurt bowl. The first tasted horrible, I just picked out the fruit. Kind of did the same with the yogurt one too as the yogurt was pretty crappy. Tasted like that zero fat chobani wall paste.

Chicken was overcooked and lacked seasoning, I miss the cod
Well, it's obvious that our (my wife's and mine) poor experiences, trying ~6 items over two visits recently, were not outliers. My belief is that the quality is consistently bad at EWR, probably due to cost-cutting but also likely related to the inability to attract and keep competent and motivated staff.
Elola likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Well, it's obvious that our (my wife's and mine) poor experiences, trying ~6 items over two visits recently, were not outliers. My belief is that the quality is consistently bad at EWR, probably due to cost-cutting but also likely related to the inability to attract and keep competent and motivated staff.
The Cod from the old menu was good. The cookie skillet was good as well. So not everything is/was bad. I do agree, (without visiting LAX or IAH yet), EWR is probably the worst. I would have ordered more but I was in a hurry (30min til boarding) and it took them 40min from sitting down to getting my food and that was them "rushing" out my order with no other orders waiting in the dining room. I suspect them "rushing" is what caused my chicken to be over cooked (too high heat).

Other PL, I get my food in a normal timeframe (10-15min)
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Last time I was there 2 weeks ago they also no longer had the Prisoner. They had a substitue which I forgot the name and which was inferior in my opinion.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
So ... is it better to go to the Polaris Lounge or the Centurion Lounge for dinner before an evening flight to DUB? I am on transcon from SFO to EWR to connect to DUB?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
So ... is it better to go to the Polaris Lounge or the Centurion Lounge for dinner before an evening flight to DUB? I am on transcon from SFO to EWR to connect to DUB?
There's no Centurion Lounge in EWR (yet), so the answer is the Polaris Lounge for now.
SPN Lifer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by dkc192
There's no Centurion Lounge in EWR (yet), so the answer is the Polaris Lounge for now.

OP, if you were asking about originating at SFO, I would go to the Polaris lounge rather than the CL
Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Follow up to my sub-par experience at EWR Polaris lounge. Dining room experience.

6.25PM - add my name to waitlist
7.25PM - table finally ready
7.55PM - food came

Other quirks, since they didn't have champagne, I ordered an Aperol Spritz. Was told that they don't have any Aperol
There was also a table of 5 people, loud group, sizing each other up on their GS, 1K, Concierge Key status. Very loud conversation.

Salmon - didn't taste the yuzu, a bit salty in my opinion

Espresso panna cotta
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Follow up to my sub-par experience at EWR Polaris lounge. Dining room experience.

6.25PM - add my name to waitlist
7.25PM - table finally ready
7.55PM - food came

Other quirks, since they didn't have champagne, I ordered an Aperol Spritz. Was told that they don't have any Aperol
There was also a table of 5 people, loud group, sizing each other up on their GS, 1K, Concierge Key status. Very loud conversation.
There is nothing worse than a group of loudmouth poseurs when you're trying to relax and have a nice dinner.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:17 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I have to say, the food in EWR Polaris is miles better than SFO Polaris. SFO hasn't changed their menu in eons. It's still the Assam chicken & etc in the buffet.

The fish and chicken entrees in the restaurant are literally 2 bites each -- both extremely dry like they've been sitting out for a while. So that Salmon posted above actually looks pretty good to me.

I don't know why the bloggers continue to tout these Polaris lounges. They are profoundly inferior and are continually getting worse.
zombietooth, bmwe92fan and tr3k like this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 4:06 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Visited yesterday (Sunday) around 5:30 pm for about two hours

Lounge was absurdly busy the whole time - people struggling to find seats, 45 minute wait for the restaurant

Restaurant was clearly understaffed- tables sitting empty (and dirty) for my whole visit, plus a 25 minute wait for food

Asparagus starter was just ok, and burger was beyond well done (asked for medium rare). Burger patty is just too small to cook to the right temp

Wine list is underwhelming to me (I work in the industry and have “specific” taste, but understand they’re catering to the American market)

Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Maybe just a bad camera angle, but that burger looks pretty bad. Bun seems like it came from the cheapest-possible mass market bag-o-buns.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:10 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
Maybe just a bad camera angle, but that burger looks pretty bad. Bun seems like it came from the cheapest-possible mass market bag-o-buns.
I am horrible at taking pictures, but I tried to show how small the patty was.

it wasn’t the worst bun I’ve had, but certainly not the best. You’d think they could spring for something like Martin’s potato rolls or something (I think Shake Shack uses those)
Old Sep 10, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by benewr
Last time I was there 2 weeks ago they also no longer had the Prisoner. They had a substitue which I forgot the name and which was inferior in my opinion.
Was it Pessimist Red Blend? When I asked the bartender on my recent visit if they had The Prisoner, that is what they suggested instead. It was ok, but I prefer the Prisoner.
benewr likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by econ
Was it Pessimist Red Blend? When I asked the bartender on my recent visit if they had The Prisoner, that is what they suggested instead. It was ok, but I prefer the Prisoner.
Exactly ! Pessimist. And definitely not as good as Prisoner in my opinion.
Kmxu likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Another subpar experience at EWR Polaris lounge today, not surprised.

At least they didn't run out of champagne, it was Charles de Fere, not good at all. And ever classy United way, they ran out of champagne flutes and served it to me in a martini glass.

Dining room was less busy. Arrived at 3.40pm, got on the digital waitlist. Was told it was 30min wait, and got text message exactly after 30min that table was ready. Menu is same as my post above.
Appetizer - summer garden salad

Main - lemon chicken

Dessert - espresso panna cotta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.