Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 4:30a - 10:45p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nola1
Thank you folks. I have just contacted UA regarding EWR Polaris and FRA staff via separate messages via:
https://www.united.com/en/us/customercare

Comments from you are appreciated.
Nobody at United is paying attention to comments about closed Polaris lounges.

Write to them when/if they reopen.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:22 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
This lounge is open rn right? Any recent visits? Worth coming early or should I not even bother?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by WasKnown
This lounge is open rn right? Any recent visits? Worth coming early or should I not even bother?
All Polaris lounges are still closed.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Still closed. No re-opening date set. UA is "re-mobilizing" for when demand justifies re-opening. See the UC/PL closures/re-opening dedicated thread.
DrinkSlinger and WasKnown like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
This thread jumps to the front of the queue because of recent posts after more than one year of silence....

Perusing the pics from 2019 and early 2020: food looks amazingly good, wow!
I do miss the Polaris lounges!
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
This thread jumps to the front of the queue because of recent posts after more than one year of silence....
Perhaps because the discussion has been happening in
COVID19:ALL Polaris Lounges/most UCs Suspended Ops; 25 UCs reopened; more Summer 2021
With the EWR question answered, perhaps we should return to the master thread n PLs
Old Jul 23, 2021, 4:07 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Waste of electricity

Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I had a lovely breakfast in the Polaris lounge this morning before boarding my EWR-LHR flight. I did not look to see if the dining room was open but the buffet had eggs, hash browns, bacon, turkey sausage, veggie sausage, muffins, fruit, bagels, pumpkin pancakes, fresh squeezed juices and some more. Everything was fresh and tasty. There were about 10 people in the entire lounge and staff outnumbered these guests.

My only complaint was the champagne. I remember Polaris serving Veuve in the lounge before Covid. It has changed to $10 a bottle Charles de Fere champagne. I got a glass, took a sip, and that was the end of it.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I had a lovely breakfast in the Polaris lounge this morning before boarding my EWR-LHR flight. I did not look to see if the dining room was open but the buffet had eggs, hash browns, bacon, turkey sausage, veggie sausage, muffins, fruit, bagels, pumpkin pancakes, fresh squeezed juices and some more. Everything was fresh and tasty. There were about 10 people in the entire lounge and staff outnumbered these guests.

My only complaint was the champagne. I remember Polaris serving Veuve in the lounge before Covid. It has changed to $10 a bottle Charles de Fere champagne. I got a glass, took a sip, and that was the end of it.
A buddy of mine traveled a week ago and Champagne Lanson (which is nice and about $50 retail) was served at LAX and IAH.. Did you ask if they had any other Bubbles?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I was told that that was the only choice.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I was told that that was the only choice.
Hopefully that will change quickly
Old May 23, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
Visited on May 13, 2022 and was there 7-9.45pm (closing). 10pm EWR-LHR was awaiting a crew member and didn't leave until 1:15am, which was disappointing (having no lounge to wait in).
  • Overall, the service has improved since my last visit. I found a very good bartender who made a great Cosmopolitan. Well, four actually..
  • 30 min wait for Sit-down dining; given pager.
  • Buffet was a bit tired. Same Portuguese Chicken, Jersey Eggplant, etc but the cheese / cold wrap options weren't great.
  • Place was jammed at 7pm but could find seating and it did get quieter as the EU flights continued to depart.
  • There was only 1 UA agent trying to help delayed / canceled folks (a line 5-6 deep). At one point a station manager (?) swung by to say we can get help at the front desk, but multiple people said they tried and the front desk said go back to the agent at the desk. Surprise and delight...
  • Tried to get my LH connection rebooked by a front desk agent, which they delightfully said no. Everything is "no" at EWR; no one willing to help. (1 hour call with 1K voice solved it, but they didn't properly re-issue it either and I needed help at LHR, another 30 mins with LH/UA at the transfer desks).
  • Burger isn't as good as pre-COVID (as reported); they really need to spruce it up with something (an egg, relish, sundried tomato, or SOMETHING to make it an "EWR Polaris Burger" - like before).
  • The rocket salad with mozzarella was decent but, again, all they needed was a food accent, or something with a kick to just show the head chef is semi-interested in their job...
  • I connected in LHR and the wonderful LHR UC is, in many ways, better than the EWR PL. The bartenders, with full menu, interesting choices, loved their work and were true mixologists. I had a 'Grand Diablo' (3rd pic below) that was muddled chilis, tequila, grand marnier, lime - a masterpiece! I also thought the real cheese options, finger sandwiches, vegetarian options, chicken thighs and general self-serve fridges of soft drinks, juices, teas etc are just so much better than the EWR PL. It seemed staffed better (in terms of cleaning, etc) as well. Was so glad to pass through LHR for this UC again...
  • Back to EWR PL: Don't get me wrong, eating beforehand and avoiding the food onboard is appreciated (and I slept 5 hours), but it could be so much better and, from reading about LAX, there are other PL's that seem to get things right...

Belvedere Cosmopolitan

Burger & Salad

LHR "Grand Diablo"
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, st530 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by seanp7; May 23, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Old May 24, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by seanp7
...and general self-serve fridges of soft drinks, juices, teas etc....
Does the EWR Polaris lounge not have the self-serve coolers anymore? Or was the selection just better in LHR?
Old May 24, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by ikwia
Does the EWR Polaris lounge not have the self-serve coolers anymore? Or was the selection just better in LHR?
And On the topic of self-serve are the candy jars in the rear still available? Ive always snagged a few of the white little bags for my briefcase and to eat on the ensuing flight
Old May 24, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ikwia
Selection way better (Bitter Lemon, Tonic, Cordials, Schweppes, etc) - sorry for the confusion. Those EWR soft drink / water fridges are small and limited.

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
And On the topic of self-serve are the candy jars in the rear still available? Ive always snagged a few of the white little bags for my briefcase and to eat on the ensuing flight
I didn't go back that far, sorry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.