Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 4:30a - 10:45p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
Though it is annoying when people decide they just want to sit there well after eating and take up a spot while people are waiting.
This, combined with the staff blocking a few tables against the wall from use, created the "Dining Room Line" I observed on Tues evening.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
This, combined with the staff blocking a few tables against the wall from use, created the "Dining Room Line" I observed on Tues evening.
I suppose better to do that when under-staffed than to fill seats and degrade service even more. Kind of like highway entrance metering.

The under-staffing is inexcusable for management though.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by fumje
I suppose better to do that when under-staffed than to fill seats and degrade service even more. Kind of like highway entrance metering.

The under-staffing is inexcusable for management though.
This is where the microeconomics of the tipped wage comes in. Most employees have a potential greater earning opportunity with customers tipping, versus a standard hourly wage with no tips. In this case, Sodexco is competing with OTG for employees with similar talent and skillset within the same location. Granted, tipped wage is NJ is as low as $2.13/hour, but serving 8 people in an hour at an average of $35 spending per head, that's $42/hour with 15% gratuity, versus whatever Sodexco is paying (not $42/hour). In this case, it may not be purposeful understaffing, but rather the lack of people willing to work at a fixed rate instead of potentially earning more as food/drink runners at OTG (they are not really servers, since they don't even take orders).
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
This is where the microeconomics of the tipped wage comes in. Most employees have a potential greater earning opportunity with customers tipping, versus a standard hourly wage with no tips. In this case, Sodexco is competing with OTG for employees with similar talent and skillset within the same location. Granted, tipped wage is NJ is as low as $2.13/hour, but serving 8 people in an hour at an average of $35 spending per head, that's $42/hour with 15% gratuity, versus whatever Sodexco is paying (not $42/hour). In this case, it may not be purposeful understaffing, but rather the lack of people willing to work at a fixed rate instead of potentially earning more as food/drink runners at OTG (they are not really servers, since they don't even take orders).
So raise the wage (cue Kirby heart attack) until you can hire enough people to staff properly, or cut the a la carte dining. This isn't the only place where UA cheaps out and uses a poor half-measure, but it is a pretty glaring one.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
How much time would you experts guess I would have to check out the PL when connecting from a 12:30pm arrival inbound from MUC to a 2:30pm departure to DCA on UA Express (traveling on a Wednesday)? Trying to decide between YYY-MUC-IAD and YYY-MUC-EWR-DCA. Arrival times are basically the same once I account for clearing immigration in EWR rather than IAD.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by shutter41
How much time would you experts guess I would have to check out the PL when connecting from a 12:30pm arrival inbound from MUC to a 2:30pm departure to DCA on UA Express (traveling on a Wednesday)? Trying to decide between YYY-MUC-IAD and YYY-MUC-EWR-DCA. Arrival times are basically the same once I account for clearing immigration in EWR rather than IAD.
Very little time.
Even assuming Global Entry / PreCheck / no checked bags, you need to clear immigration / customs, get over to C and clear security, then most likely need to take the bus over to Terminal A for your UAX flight.
Regardless, not nearly enough time to consider adding on a leg and dealing with EWR in general. Save it to next time.

One other thought: If DCA is MUCH more convenient arrival for you over IAD, it may be worth it. If your UAX flight is delayed, you get some time in the PL.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Any photos/comments on the current menu items? I haven't been to the EWR lounge for a while. Wondering what the Chicken Tagine is like. Or the desserts
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:26 pm

Any photos/comments on the current menu items? I haven't been to the EWR lounge for a while. Wondering what the Chicken Tagine is like. Or the desserts
The Chicken Tagine is like a chilli with shredded chicken. It’s very good and comes with rice.

I thought that the strawberry shortcake with marshmallow fluff was a clever idea. Tasted pretty good.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Used this lounge last week before my departure to HKG. A few thoughts:

1. This lounge was a lot smaller than I expected.
2. The showers in this lounge were huge and the best in the network IMO.
3. The food was fine and the service was fast enough for me.
4. The shower room already had a loofah-type sponge (wrapped) ready to go.

I cannot understand how a Polaris lounge with showers doesn't have combs. If my bag is checked and my toiletries are in it (except deodorant because I refuse to use that throw away stuff), the lounge should be providing essentials like toothbrush/toothpaste/comb/etc. Both EWR and SFO had no combs.

-RM
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Meola10

The Chicken Tagine is like a chilli with shredded chicken. It’s very good and comes with rice.

I thought that the strawberry shortcake with marshmallow fluff was a clever idea. Tasted pretty good.
Hmm, maybe I'll try that, I usually just go for the burger.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I cannot understand how a Polaris lounge with showers doesn't have combs. If my bag is checked and my toiletries are in it (except deodorant because I refuse to use that throw away stuff), the lounge should be providing essentials like toothbrush/toothpaste/comb/etc. Both EWR and SFO had no combs.

-RM
I thought that you could request a comb (toothbrush, toothpaste, esc) from the shower attendant.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, maybe I'll try that, I usually just go for the burger.

I thought that you could request a comb (toothbrush, toothpaste, esc) from the shower attendant.
I did. In both EWR and SFO and both said "no".

-RM
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I did. In both EWR and SFO and both said "no".

-RM
So you're both right. One can request the comb and shaving kit in PL, and the staff can turn down that request. On the bright side, then there's no reason to tip!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
So you're both right. One can request the comb and shaving kit in PL, and the staff can turn down that request. On the bright side, then there's no reason to tip!
There's a difference between "turn down the request" and the Polaris lounges just don't have it. The EWR shower attendant was the most upfront and told me they never stock combs. She did offer a shave kit but I didn't need one. The SFO shower attendant apologized and said, "No combs." They just don't have them, period.

-RM
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Meola10

Just tried it. It was spicy but had absolutely no taste. It's like they forgot to add salt and put it all in the salad dressing. Maybe it was an off day. First time I've had a bad meal there, though I usually get the burger. Buffet was also subpar I'm terms of quality and selection relative to my last visit to ORD

Service was very quick to get me my appetizer and entree but too forever for the guy to come back to take my dessert order. It too 60 min for the whole ordeal. Had I remembered to order dessert with my meal, it probably would have been closer to 30. There was a decent line forming towards the in. Several parties of 4. You'd think they'd want to speed things up
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I tried out this lounge recently and thought it pretty good. It was crowded with a line to get to the dining room, at about 4:30pm. As I had a 5:30 flight I just had a beer and whiskey. I was surprised at the quality of the booze! The gave me a healthy glass of Whistling Pig Rye. That is a rather expensive drop. I think it is over $100 a bottle. I haven't seen United offer high quality alcohol since 9/11/2001. What gives?

Decent meal on the flight with OK wine meant I slept all the way til they started the descent to MUC. Great flight!

Last edited by stimpy; Aug 29, 2019 at 1:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.