Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 4:30a - 10:45p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Thanks!

Just to clarify. If I choose to go to the Polaris Lounge in Terminal C, will I need to go through security again to get to Terminal B for my flight?
In that direction there's a bus that leaves from Terminal C, near Gate C71 (or something like that) that gets you to Terminal B. So, you don't have to go through security again.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
In that direction there's a bus that leaves from Terminal C, near Gate C71 (or something like that) that gets you to Terminal B. So, you don't have to go through security again.
Excellent!
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Enjoyed the EWR Polaris Lounge the other day.

This is a really nice space and a jewel of a lounge at EWR. Miles ahead of any other UC I've been in.

Pros:
-People are nice. I believe it's outsourced employees, but they were nice.
-The shower suites were great, except the shower itself (more on that below.)
-Lots of great seating, panoramic views of the planes
-Unlimited food that was for the most part great

Cons:
-I wanted to store my luggage so I could explore the airport. They wouldn't do it and wouldn't say why. Competitor lounges will store your luggage and give you a claim ticket, no problem.
-The water pressure is very low in the shower suites and the placement of the shower heads and the shower wand don't make any sense. There isn't enough pressure for the overhead raining showerhead and the shower wand is awkwardly placed in front of the fold-down seat, which means you can't use it to store your showering items (since there is nowhere else to put them.) United should have visited competitor lounges to mimic their superior shower design. The Lufthansa Senator Lounge shower at JFK would be a good one. ANA at NRT too.

Other than that, Nice job and if you're flying J from the East Coast, stop into the Polaris lounge.

Last edited by AsiaTravel2019; Jul 27, 2019 at 7:17 am
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
-I wanted to store my luggage so I could explore the airport. They wouldn't do it and wouldn't say why. Competitor lounges will store your luggage and give you a claim ticket, no problem.
Generally not allowed in the USA airports. There is a separate EWR store luggage facility, Bag storage at EWR
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Yes, going airside (with appropriate BP), leaving, and then re-entering is fine.

Checking a bag mid-trip should be fine as well. Link: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...e-journey.html.
Perfect, thanks. I'll have a boarding pass for the onward flight. And thanks for the link about mid-journey baggage check (not sure I'll need it - depends on my peanut butter supply levels ).
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
This is obviously very subjective, but I find the buffet food much more interesting than during my last visit (in January 2019), but the sit-down menu is much less interesting. Last time, I sampled several items and even then I had to narrow down what I wanted...this time, I'm struggling to find something that truly interests me, other than the burger. The F&B staff is certainly very pleasant, but in some cases a bit unpolished. I'm not sure how common this is, but there was a manager walking around with canapes that were not available elsewhere in the lounge.

ETA: the kale caesar was surprisingly good, as the dressing was very unique (it's billed as a "roasted tomato caesar", and has nice big chunks of roasted tomato in it). The Mediterranean flatbread is also very good, if not "exciting" (extra yogurt sauce kicks it up quite a bit)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2019 at 10:02 pm Reason: split post
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally not allowed in the USA airports. There is a separate EWR store luggage facility, Bag storage at EWR
To be fair, I would not want to explore EWR if the Polaris lounge was where I ended up. Quit while you are ahead...
seanp7 and tstauck like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
Visited yesterday about 5pm. 3rd time.

The lounge was crowded. The buffet was very busy. I waited about 5 minutes to be seated in the dining room, and maybe about 20 minutes post ordering for the drink and Kale Salad to come (then the burger). The food and drinks were good but, again, they were understaffed - and it showed. At most time there was a line of 3 or 4 people for the dining room, with the waiters lucky to inform them they'd be seated soon. Those waiting got impatient, or started creeping in to grab a table themselves. One guy started yelling something to the effect of "What is the point of Polaris if we are here waiting? I should just go to the gate!". A manager had to calm him down. Some people asked to be seated on the wall tables but for some reason that was a no, it had to be the standalone tables.

The Dining Room staff looked miserable, were trying to hurry. No smiles. Any request was a problem. Are they just tired of carrying the same four dishes out all evening from the kitchen? No drink top-ups; the same staff are cleaning the tables which means service drops.

The bar had only 2 bartenders for the 45 mins I was there. One was flustered, didn't say a word when you ordered, and the other wouldn't serve the bar, only did the table orders from the Lounge Staff. I ordered two drinks knowing it would be while. I did tip.

The concept is good. I do like the cocktails, sit down dining, and decent champagne - this is great so that I can maximize sleep on flights to Europe. The execution is poor. Service needs to be quick in these lounges as some folks only have a short time (even if they planned longer due to mishaps). I'm not sure why they don't add more staff, it would solve a few problems - quicker service, less flustered employees.

(Side note: the flight itself was poor. Terrible crew, asked for a mattress pad, he forgot for 30 mins, then said they weren't loaded when I asked again. The other FA was angry the entire flight; asked for chardonnay: "we don't have any" lead to "well what do you have?" from me. They basically read off the labels. No pre-flight research at all. Other than direct to BCN and 787 Polaris, UA was miserable. Polaris has gone downhill, indeed. A spiderman amenity kit? ).

Last edited by seanp7; Aug 14, 2019 at 8:48 am
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
In a lot of ways, EWR PL feels like your generic UC

I have lost count on the amount of DYKWIAers, and disruptive kids in the quite area.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Current restaurant menu

I was last here a couple of months ago and it may be the same as it was (buffet looks unchanged).
narvik likes this.

Last edited by st530; Aug 14, 2019 at 12:53 pm Reason: add photo
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
THAT is ONE pretty nice generic UC!
I do not share that opinion at all. I recall UCs being dumps with no edible food whatsoever, and coffee machines being broken.
But the one UC at EWR Terminal A is nice, I'll give you that.

I have lost count on the amount of DYKWIAers, and disruptive kids in the quite area.
I must be there at odd times then, because again, I don't share that experience at all.

Weird.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Originally Posted by st530
I was last here a couple of months ago and it may be the same as it was (buffet looks unchanged).
Exactly the point.... same food in the lounge (in EWR) for months, not that good anyways, big fat warm white plates as well.

Just the same scenario as on board.. same food forever... with a little tweak. The service, the food is garbage. I'm trapped, and usually just pass out and sleep on a reasonable bed. And for what its worth, I typically crash out with just the two pillows and no mattress pad or blanket. h

If it wasn't for 30k plus a GPU for a trans Atlantic, i would be long gone.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Exactly the point.... same food in the lounge (in EWR) for months, not that good anyways, big fat warm white plates as well.

Just the same scenario as on board.. same food forever... with a little tweak. The service, the food is garbage. I'm trapped, and usually just pass out and sleep on a reasonable bed. And for what its worth, I typically crash out with just the two pillows and no mattress pad or blanket. h

If it wasn't for 30k plus a GPU for a trans Atlantic, i would be long gone.
Agreed. You summarized my long-winded post well.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by narvik

THAT is ONE pretty nice generic UC!
I do not share that opinion at all. I recall UCs being dumped with no edible food whatsoever, and coffee machines being broken.
Weird.
I think the comment was about the clientele (as noted in the post just before) than the facilities
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club

So far every time in every lounge, I've had to listen to people using face time on speaker and both sides yelling because no one can hear anything.
I still find the PL food significantly better, especially the dining room. Though it is annoying when people decide they just want to sit there well after eating and take up a spot while people are waiting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.