Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 4:30a - 10:45p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
Anyone know if the lounge is open on Christmas Day??
Of course it's open on Christmas Day.
benewr likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I experienced the EWR Polaris Lounge for the first time in November. I did not really enjoy it. I like to sit near the windows (I always do that in the ORD Polaris Lounge). In that area near the windows, there was constant noise of dishes clattering (reminded me of the noise when that location was a UC). The employees were very loud. There was a weird loud humming noise coming from the air conditioner (or the heating system). The food was not so good. I don't know who is the designer who chose the furniture for the area near the windows. The little tables are so low that that would produce a lot of dropped food. When my wife complained to me about it, I told her that higher tables would cost more....... The redeeming factor is that, on November 21st, the Lounge was empty when we arrived so my wife and I had our lunch in the cubicles. However, the seating in the cubicles is OK if you are relaxing but not so OK if you are trying to eat. Had to sit on the edge.......again not to drop food.....
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
EWR-LAX-SYD next week all in J on UA metal. But on separate tickets. Any issue just using the LAX-SYD boarding pass for EWR polaris lounge entry?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
EWR-LAX-SYD next week all in J on UA metal. But on separate tickets. Any issue just using the LAX-SYD boarding pass for EWR polaris lounge entry?
youll hafta tell us!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
I had no issue when doing CDG-ORD-EWR last summer - 2 separate tickets, but used my CDG-ORD ticket to get into the ORD Polaris lounge and had zero problems.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Just sharing my experience entering with an SQ21 (EWR-SIN 9:45am dep) boarding pass:

No issues on entry, and was told that there'd be a shuttle back to Terminal B where SQ departs. Had a nice breakfast with outstanding service. They even managed to get me something from the dessert menu. The shower attendant insisted on getting my booking confirmation number which was a first for me.

Unfortunately, when I got to the shuttle boarding point, I was told they "don't service Singapore", even after showing them my Terminal B boarding pass.

With only 50 mins before departure I had to run to the Airtrain and re-clear the painfully slow security at B.

Polaris lounge was a nice experience but with the VS Clubhouse being the alternative for SQ, I'm not sure it's worth the detour to C.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Just sharing my experience entering with an SQ21 (EWR-SIN 9:45am dep) boarding pass:

No issues on entry, and was told that there'd be a shuttle back to Terminal B where SQ departs. Had a nice breakfast with outstanding service. They even managed to get me something from the dessert menu. The shower attendant insisted on getting my booking confirmation number which was a first for me.

Unfortunately, when I got to the shuttle boarding point, I was told they "don't service Singapore", even after showing them my Terminal B boarding pass.

With only 50 mins before departure I had to run to the Airtrain and re-clear the painfully slow security at B.

Polaris lounge was a nice experience but with the VS Clubhouse being the alternative for SQ, I'm not sure it's worth the detour to C.
Agreed. For a flight boarding around 9am in Terminal B, it's not worth the detour to the PL. The only scenario it may make sense is on very early morning arrivals into Terminal C (since you are already there) with onward connection to SIN. If EWR is your origin point on the day of the flight, it is most practical to go straight to Terminal B.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SilverChris

No access to the B-shuttle is extremely short-sighted and should be changed! Please write into UA.
Glad you did make your flight!!!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I've been through the EWR PL a few times. This past Saturday, while doing IAH-EWR-DEL, I figured I could catch the Texans-Jets game during the layover. Alas, no TV anywhere in the PL! I guess I hadn't noticed before and just assumed there would be one or two above the bar, as there are in the ORD PL. (One of the agents said they nearly had riots during the World Cup, which is not a surprise.) I guess the theory is that people can mostly stream live sporting events these days (and indeed, I was eventually able to stream the Texans-Jets game on my iPhone), but it's still a bit odd to have inconsistency among the PL's in the system. Perhaps the (very) long lag between the opening of ORD and the other PL's convinced the gurus that TVs were no longer a needed amenity.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by st530; Dec 19, 2018 at 4:13 am Reason: grammar
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by st530
Alas, no TV anywhere in the PL!
Interesting. Hadn't noticed this either.
I applaud this move, however.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:26 pm

I'm arriving at EWR in Polaris business from MXP and connecting to an AC flight to YVR. I was interested in trying out the Polaris Lounge while I'm there, but I'm a little confused as to how it works and have a couple of questions.

1. Can I go to the PL before clearing customs and immigration or do I have to clear customs first then go through security before proceeding to the lounge?
2. My AC flight leaves from Terminal A (concourse A1). After visiting the Polaris lounge, can I take an airside bus to Terminal A, and does it go to concourse A1? If it doesn't stop at concourse A1, am I correct in thinking that I would then need to exit the concourse where the bus stops and then go through security again to get to A1?

Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by st530
I've been through the EWR PL a few times. This past Saturday, while doing IAH-EWR-DEL, I figured I could catch the Texans-Jets game during the layover. Alas, no TV anywhere in the PL! I guess I hadn't noticed before and just assumed there would be one or two above the bar, as there are in the ORD PL. (One of the agents said they nearly had riots during the World Cup, which is not a surprise.) I guess the theory is that people can mostly stream live sporting events these days (and indeed, I was eventually able to stream the Texans-Jets game on my iPhone), but it's still a bit odd to have inconsistency among the PL's in the system. Perhaps the (very) long lag between the opening of ORD and the other PL's convinced the gurus that TVs were no longer a needed amenity.
ORD has a few by the bar showing sports. I think it's necessary. You don't even notice them in other parts of the lounge.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by garryoak
I'm arriving at EWR in Polaris business from MXP and connecting to an AC flight to YVR. I was interested in trying out the Polaris Lounge while I'm there, but I'm a little confused as to how it works and have a couple of questions.

1. Can I go to the PL before clearing customs and immigration or do I have to clear customs first then go through security before proceeding to the lounge?
2. My AC flight leaves from Terminal A (concourse A1). After visiting the Polaris lounge, can I take an airside bus to Terminal A, and does it go to concourse A1? If it doesn't stop at concourse A1, am I correct in thinking that I would then need to exit the concourse where the bus stops and then go through security again to get to A1?

Thanks.
1. You would need to clear customs and reclear security.
2. AFAIK, I don't think the AC concourse is accessible with the airside bus. You'd need to take the monorail, and clear security again.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by JMBResona
2. AFAIK, I don't think the AC concourse is accessible with the airside bus. You'd need to take the monorail, and clear security again.
Thanks. That's kind of what I suspected. I have quite a long layover (4 hours) and I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth the hassle of going through security twice to use the Polaris Lounge. It sounds like it's much better than the AC lounge in Terminal A!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by JMBResona

UA uses terminal A for some of their flights. There is a bus at gate C71. You can go to the Polaris lounge in C and take the bus over, all behind security. I have done this for a connection to YYZ. "Alternatively, a shuttle service connects Terminal A with Terminal C. You can board it close to gate A28 at Terminal A and close to gate C71 at Terminal C."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.