Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
United Polaris Lounge at George Bush Intercontinental Airport
Facts & Highlights
  • 191 seats
  • 324 power outlets and 264 USB ports
  • 2 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 6 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • A private dining area with table service for up to 28 guests
  • 11 pieces of contemporary art
in Terminal E, this exclusive 12,528-square-foot lounge features an array of plush seating, Texas and South American-inspired cuisine, shower suites and stunning views of taxiing planes.
…. The lounge is open this summer from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-IAH-MSY

Hours - …. The lounge is open this summer from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Print Wikipost

IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Think the qualifying IAH departures & arrivals (let me know if I missed any) are as follows:
  • D - 1:00am BR / IAH > TPE
  • D - 1:00am CA / IAH > PEK
  • D - 10:40pm UA / IAH > SYD
  • D - 10:20pm UA / IAH > EZE
  • D - 10:15pm NZ / IAH > AKL
  • D - 10:00pm UA / IAH > SCL
  • D - 9:55pm UA / IAH > GIG
  • D - 9:45pm UA / IAH > GRU
  • D - 9:05pm TK / IAH > IST
  • D - 8:20pm UA / IAH > LHR
  • D - 7:10pm SQ / IAH > MAN > SIN
  • D - 6:10pm UA / IAH > FRA
  • D - 4:45pm LH / IAH > FRA
  • D - 4:30pm UA / IAH > LIM
  • D - 4:25pm UA / IAH > LHR
  • D - 3:50pm LH / IAH > FRA
  • D - 2:30pm UA / IAH > MUC
  • A - ~2pm-4pm UA / European + NRT Polaris Inbound > IAH > Connection
  • D - 11:30am NH / IAH > NRT
  • A - 10:30am UA / SYD Polaris Inbound > IAH > Connection
  • D - 10:25am UA / IAH > NRT
  • D*- 9:35am UA / IAH > SFO > *Polaris Asia Connection
  • D*- 9:02am UA / IAH > SFO > *Polaris Asia Connection
  • D*- 7:40am UA / IAH > SFO > *Polaris Asia Connection
  • A - 5:30am UA / South America Polaris Inbound > IAH > Connection
Also threw in the 3 early IAH > SFO flights as well as passengers connecting to Asia in Polaris through SFO would be eligible for access in IAH.

My takeaway is the heaviest usage will be in the mid to late afternoon when the NRT/LHR/MUC/AMS/FRA UA inbound connecting passengers AND outbound UA/LH/SQ European customers would be seeking access. Would also guess late-morning to mid-day would be the lightest usage as well.
I think you can remove the LIM flight. Does not qualify as Polaris.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
A few pictures I took, mostly of food. Most of the portions were on the small side, with the exception of the Polaris burger, which was delicious! The shrimp app, eh could take it or leave it. The 2nd dish I had here, the etouffee was pretty good, all 7 bites of it. The tres leches bites was ok but didn't really taste like tres leches. The bread pudding was delicious though!

As kirkwoodj mentioned, the servers seem rather inexperienced and the kitchen was just very out of sync. From meals taking forever to come out, like my dinner came out and I was done with it before the other main came out at all. Drink orders being forgotten about and left at the bar until prompting the server. Just stuff like that. I ordered dessert and it didn't appear for probably 15 mins, and once I mentioned to another server I was waiting for it, it showed up immediately. And all of this was with the restaurant 1/2-2/3 full at most. I can't imagine how flustered they might be with all 28 seats full. A couple friends at another table still didn't have their main meals after 30-45 mins when I left around 8:30.

The shrimp app:

The cajun sausage and chicken etouffee:

Tres leches bites:

The bread pudding:

kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:38 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Arrow

EWR764, goodeats21, UAL250 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
The wine and food offerings look significantly better than I am generally served in Polaris on board. Explain that.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
The wine and food offerings look significantly better than I am generally served in Polaris on board. Explain that.
to serve food and liquor onboard cost significantly more than serving the same thing on the ground. it is also a much more complex operation to get everything right. it is true from product cost, tax/fees, and labor cost perspective, and maybe others.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I actually wouldn't mind this paradigm shift. If I have the time, I would prefer a nicer meal on the ground, with lighter food and better booze on board. Especially from EWR, with lots of short redeyes to EU, in most cases I just want to board and get right to sleep.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
to serve food and liquor onboard cost significantly more than serving the same thing on the ground. it is also a much more complex operation to get everything right. it is true from product cost, tax/fees, and labor cost perspective, and maybe others.
and they have a full kitchen on the ground. They cannot technically make the same kind of food in the air as they can on the ground (yes TK does cook on board but none of the fan favorite airlines that I know of).

Also food and alcohol tastes different in the air than on the ground.

BBC - Future - Why does food taste different on planes?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I have a flight 7/3 I’ll check it out then. IAH-man on SQ in J
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Forgetting the food for a moment, I see several roughly $40/bottle wines on the lounge list. The wines served in Polaris in the air tend to be more in the $20/bottle and less range. This is the disparity I am trying to point out. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut lest someone from United finance notice that and kill the better wine in the lounge as well.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Forgetting the food for a moment, I see several roughly $40/bottle wines on the lounge list. The wines served in Polaris in the air tend to be more in the $20/bottle and less range. This is the disparity I am trying to point out. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut lest someone from United finance notice that and kill the better wine in the lounge as well.
im sure there is also a lot of waste for wine/liquor in the air. people can't track them, people steal them, stuff just disappear. It is probably far more cost effective to have something reasonable on the ground.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:05 pm

They already removed our Veuve Clicquot from the ORD PL. But you are right that some of the reds look tempting. Maybe I should switch to that.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
They already removed our Veuve Clicquot from the ORD PL.
Glad I consumed a bottle at ORD while it was still on offer... though the PH Brut is a perfectly decent pour. Wish they’d serve it onboard!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764

Glad I consumed a bottle at ORD while it was still on offer... though the PH Brut is a perfectly decent pour. Wish they’d serve it onboard!
They do serve the PH Brut on board when they don't serve Nicolas Feuillatte, Ayala or whatever is in that price range. At home, we do drink PH Brut or Nicholas Feuillatte when we feel like having a glass of Champagne when we don't have a special reason to celebrate.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Still having teething problems with the kitchen. Quesadilla was cool with unmelted cheese. I chose not to send it back, since heaven knows that the quesadillas I make at home aren't always melted all the way through. I do expect better at a restaurant, though.

I share the prior comments about the buffet food. Not terribly exciting or very flavorful.

Soft drink refrigerators not very cold, and no self-serve ice. Servers brought mini diet coke cans, with no glass of ice. I know they have ice in the club, because I had it in my caiprinha.

Servers still working on their pacing of walkthroughs sometimes it's every three minutes, then long stretches without anyone.

I've only been to the SFO Polaris lounge before this, but I would give the nod on food service to SFO (both on buffet and sit-down).

The one place where IAH gets the win is that they dealt with the bathroom occupancy issue the way that I thought SFO should have done (and it's more important in SFO because the hallway is much darker) with little red and green LED's at each door.

Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
“Stunning views of taxiing planes”.

Only in Houston....just means the Club has windows. Las Vegas has “stunning” views of taxiing planes. And of mountains. And the Strip. I think Houston’s biggest mountain is the Waste Management landfill off US 90 in NE Houston.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.