Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
United Polaris Lounge at George Bush Intercontinental Airport
Facts & Highlights
  • 191 seats
  • 324 power outlets and 264 USB ports
  • 2 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 6 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • A private dining area with table service for up to 28 guests
  • 11 pieces of contemporary art
in Terminal E, this exclusive 12,528-square-foot lounge features an array of plush seating, Texas and South American-inspired cuisine, shower suites and stunning views of taxiing planes.
…. The lounge is open this summer from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-IAH-MSY

Hours - …. The lounge is open this summer from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Print Wikipost

IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
First time in here since December. It's 3 pm and the most crowded I've seen it. I guess it's the early Europe bank including LH A388. I'm pleased to see there are finally some buffet changes. Argentine beef stew replaced with Colorado chili. Mac and cheese replaced with jambalaya. Chicken and pulled pork sliders replaced with Asian brisket sliders. A tasty orzo salad (similar to what they serve in the tiny ramekins in the ORD PL). Restaurant menu looks the same though.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
Is it just me, or do others find that the dining room service in the IAH Polaris Lounge is really bad? First time using it in IAH. Usually I go thru ORD or SFO and they do an excellent to reasonable job depending on staff.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:51 pm

Another thing that I noticed at IAH is that you can walk completely through the Dining Room to get from one side of the lounge to the other. Could be very distracting while having a meal. There’s only one way in and out of the Dining Rooms in SFO & LAX.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Is it just me, or do others find that the dining room service in the IAH Polaris Lounge is really bad? First time using it in IAH. Usually I go thru ORD or SFO and they do an excellent to reasonable job depending on staff.
We were there in January, and it took a long time to get served, and no server seemed to be responsible for our table. The manager of the lounge did apologize at the end.

It didn't help that through most of our time there there was guy yelling into his cellphone on a long conversation at the next table.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
1st impressions - 10 Mar.

It was my 1st time in a Polaris lounge - I wasn't in J class at ORD & SFO wasn't opened yet when I passed thru' a few years ago
I read some reviews before my trip so I thought I knew what to expect ... LOL

Staff greeting
When I entered the lounge, the staff who scanned my BP greeted me with a smile, the other lady next to her was expression-less
When I went up to the lounge, 2 ladies (whom I assume were not waitresses but the staff who cleared the tables after the guests leave) greeted me with a cheery and big smile.
That was nice.

Bartenders
I went up to the bar & asked for a glass of champagne, I was poured a glass and I think she gave me a weak smile.
Rough day perhaps.
An hour later, the other bartender was much nicer & he served everyone with a smile and even made small talk with the guests

Food selection - buffet vs dining room
Some pics of the buffet & the menu - I personally liked the buffet better - actually just the beef chili
Didn't eat the rest of it.
I ordered a caprese salad with shrimp & a glass of sparkling water at the dining room - I wasn't planning on dining there as the menu didn't really appeal to me but I thought I'd give it a try.
The shrimp was soaked in water or brine, so obviously frozen - and it was served cold. I wished it would have been warmed up & squeezed dry!
Salad greens were fresh - I think I'll pass the next time I visit, unless they change the menu items.
(Did not feel like eating a burger that day)

MENU

Tipping
I know many FT'ers have differing views on this, as I read the other threads.
I got an awesome waitress that day, she was super friendly, cheerful & engaged in chit chat with the people she was serving.
(I don't mean to be rude but I felt like I was dining at TGI Friday's )
I chatted with the couple seated (very closely) next to me & I asked if I should leave her a tip.
The guy replied that I didn't have to but ....
I left her a $5 tip for a very short dining experience - 10 mins. (see below for details)

Shower room
The shower rooms were huge, lots of space and even one of those bag stands to put your stuff on instead of the floor. And a stool by the sink for you to put on your shoes.
I wished all shower rooms in airport lounges were like this!

Customer Svc.
After I placed an order at the dining room, I popped by customer service to check what time SQ 51 was boarding. It was 6.50pm when I asked & the flight dep. 7.40pm
She wasn't the friendliest person in the lounge, and after click clacking on her computer, she said boarding started at 6.20pm & that I "should leave now"
Even after I told her my flight was scheduled to depart at 7.40pm, she just shrugged and repeated the same
So I took a few bites of my salad, apologized to my server and told her that I had to leave immediately.

When I got to the boarding gate, the passengers had just begun boarding & I spoke to one of the airline staff & told her what happened in the lounge
We concluded that it was because of ....

daylight savings time

I guess common sense didn't prevail at customer svc that day.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So fo very much like this lounge but had thought someone had commented the quiet suites had lie flat lounges. They do not. They are the same as the ones in SFO - a recliner seat which is bad for posture and sleeping.

However, much better positiopositioned in IAH vs SFO as the quiet suites are after the shower suites so very little noise.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
In today's episode of the "least substantive thing I can b**** about" I had an unfortunate experience with the pulled pork sliders on my brief visit to the IAH PL yesterday evening. They were serving the wrapped up sliders with the mini buns slathered in mayo. Utterly putrid, disgusting. Anyone who knows anything about BBQ knows mayo has no place on BBQ, let alone any kind of pulled pork. Not even if you're trying to make a beautifully simple snack like this sound gourmet by trying to call it an aioli instead of mayo. Its just wrong. This is a sin of which there can be no penance given. I only hope this was a mistake, not a new trend.

Also, to the gentleman with the blue shirt and gray beard that chose to park at my clearly occupied table and set up shop with your laptop in the three minutes I was gone to refresh my drink (despite there being many, many others that were unoccupied) I hope your onward flight was ridden with turbulence and you were delayed.

This was the first time I've been asked to present a passport for admittance in IAH as well- the several other times I haven't had to. It wasn't an inconvenience just something different I'd not seen there.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by gmt4
In today's episode of the "least substantive thing I can b**** about" I had an unfortunate experience with the pulled pork sliders on my brief visit to the IAH PL yesterday evening. They were serving the wrapped up sliders with the mini buns slathered in mayo. Utterly putrid, disgusting. Anyone who knows anything about BBQ knows mayo has no place on BBQ, let alone any kind of pulled pork. Not even if you're trying to make a beautifully simple snack like this sound gourmet by trying to call it an aioli instead of mayo. Its just wrong. This is a sin of which there can be no penance given. I only hope this was a mistake, not a new trend.
Let me guess - you're nt from Alabama, are you?! Recipe here ... (It's okay - I'm not a of mayo in/on BBQ fan either)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm not a fan of mayo in BBQ either but I would expect its purpose was to keep the juices and sauce of the pulled pork from saturating the buns, especially if they were premade and sitting on a counter tray.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Instead of pork juice it was slimy mayo that saturated the buns. I wiped the slime off the buns and did my best to decontaminate the meat because BBQ should never go to waste. The Empanadas were good as always though.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Some menu changes. Buffet overhauled as well.
mechteach and wantan like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems cheaper. The gazpacho and the chimichurri chicken (which really should have been steak, I think) were the best items previously. Maybe the ceviche will be good.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by st530
Some menu changes. Buffet overhauled as well.
If anyone orders the shrimp po-boy, please post a photo. I’m curious as to what this “outlier” looks like.
IAH2MEL likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
how is the crowd during weekdays 5pm onwards ? catching the 9pm Turkish Airlines to Istanbul in J and wondering if I should head up to the airport extra early ... also will one be allowed to lounge hop between the different United lounges ?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wantan
how is the crowd during weekdays 5pm onwards ? catching the 9pm Turkish Airlines to Istanbul in J and wondering if I should head up to the airport extra early ... also will one be allowed to lounge hop between the different United lounges ?
There is only 1 Polaris lounge at IAH (or any Polaris Lounge airport). Not sure why if at the PL one would want to go to a United Club, but yes you can.

The crowd will not be a problem at those times.
tstauck likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.