UA1881 05-28-18 status?

Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

UA1881 05-28-18 status?

Hi everyone,

I am a bit confused. I was told on May 28th UA 1881 to SFO would be cancelled due to technical problems. I changed my travel plans. But wherever I look, it appears to have left early and WITH passengers. Would the flight be displayed as cancelled if it was a ferry flight? Where can I get more information? I emailed United but haven't heard back yet. I was on standby and did not get the information from an "official source" so it is quite possible i was lied to. It all worked out, I just really want to know!
thank you 😇

Last edited by Sabrina Reil; Jun 2, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @Sabrina Reil.

Please follow the redirect as we send this to our UA forum.

Please note, this thread started in the flame free Information Desk.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sabrina Reil
Hi everyone,

I am a bit confused. I was told on May 28th UA 1881 to SFO would be cancelled due to technical problems. I changed my travel plans. But wherever I look, it appears to have left early and WITH passengers. Would the flight be displayed as cancelled if it was a ferry flight? Where can I get more information? I emailed United but haven't heard back yet. I was on standby and did not get the information from an "official source" so it is quite possible i was lied to. It all worked out, I just really want to know!
thank you 😇
Welcome to FT!

I see the same thing that you do; the flight appears to have pushed back from the gate a couple of minutes early and flown as scheduled to SFO.

If it were a ferry flight, the flight number would have changed, and the seat map would have shown the flight virtually empty. However, there's little reason to ferry a 737 from IAD to SFO anyway; UA's ground staff in IAD would have been fully equipped to fix any issues, and there's normally enough slack in the fleet that SFO would have had a spare plane available there if one were needed.

Your best bet for more information is your original, unofficial source. My guess is that person received some erroneous information and passed it along. Perhaps there was a "tail swap" -- that is, it's possible that the airplane originally scheduled to work your flight was taken out of service and a replacement was used instead.

You can view United's flight status page for that flight here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...SO=IAD&FSD=SFO . Additionally, there are paid services that allow you to view historic flight status information -- ExpertFlyer goes back a week, for example. I pulled up this flight, but EF had already purged its notes, if it had any.

Here's another source: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...048Z/KIAD/KSFO . This also shows a normal flight... not sure what to tell you.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you! That''s what I thought. Cant trust anyone. 😉

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.