Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA bag drop at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
One assumes they don't have cameras in the lavs if you needed to be in there for some time.....
Cameras are not the only means of surveillance. @:-) You are being continuously monitored in the trans-border wing of an airport.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

To be "less monitored" might want to turn off your cell phone (and any other devices with a radio transmitter). But that's beyond the current discussion topic IMO.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
Cameras are not the only means of surveillance. @:-) You are being continuously monitored in the trans-border wing of an airport.
I know YYZ like the back of my hand. While US Customs might or might not be monitoring activities inside the transborder gate wing, they are by no means monitoring anyone who has not yet entered the actual customs/immigration screening area - they lack the equipment, jurisdiction and legal basis (in Canada) to be monitoring the entire landside terminal regardless of who is checking in for what destination. I doubt they are monitoring the transborder gates visually unless the Canadian government is providing the video feed, and only Canadian authorities have the jurisdiction to act as law enforcement inside that area at the request of US customs/immigration.

So, for the OP, I would say your only risk is taking too long and coming back to the F concourse entrance and finding a very long line, and then missing your flight.

Last edited by bocastephen; Jun 3, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
So, for the OP, I would say your only risk is taking too long and coming back to the F concourse entrance and finding a very long line, and then missing your flight.
I hope that's the case - will check and post here, in case anyone else ever needs an answer

Hopefully, GE will help with any line. BTW, last time I was there, I did not bring the physical GE card, and they did not let me through expedited security. That's probably the only place where the physical card is needed.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
why would you drop the bags and then do anything else? its not like there's much to do at YYZ outside the gate areas, nor much in the surrounding area.

Unless you're coming thru at a peak time, 2 hours is sufficient.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Because I need to do something at another terminal and I would rather do that without having to take my large checked bag along.
What I plan to do is not relevant to this topic, but nothing of interest to anyone else tbh.

Originally Posted by entropy
why would you drop the bags and then do anything else? its not like there's much to do at YYZ outside the gate areas, nor much in the surrounding area.

Unless you're coming thru at a peak time, 2 hours is sufficient.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by br2k
I hope that's the case - will check and post here, in case anyone else ever needs an answer

Hopefully, GE will help with any line. BTW, last time I was there, I did not bring the physical GE card, and they did not let me through expedited security. That's probably the only place where the physical card is needed.
GE definitely helps at pre-clearance.

The reason you need the physical card for security to get in the trusted traveler line is in Canada, that’s how it works. There is no pre-check program or anything similar. There is no program where CATSA gets info from the airline to determine whether you can take part in the expedited security. It’s simply an extra benefit of Nexus. Everyone who has it can use that line, no one who has it will be randomly denied (as can happen with pre-check, though there are still random checks at the checkpoint like with pre-check). Also, not 100% sure, but I’m pretty sure the expedited trusted traveler security is technically only for Nexus members, and not necessarily GE. There’s definitely been reports of GE folks using their cards to get through - and perhaps there’s someone more enlightened on this then me (Im Nexus myself) - Id just caution there may be a chance they don’t accept it for security. Would be happy to be proven wrong.

By by the way, I’d guess you’ll be just fine checking and showing up for customs an hour (or whatever) later.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I have always been able to use the expedited security access at YYZ Transborder using GE. About 1/2 the time I need to show my physical GE card to enter. I have never needed to show or use my physical GE card anywhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.