Community
Wiki Posts
Search

**Want to be MM!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
The last thing on my mind was MM'er status when I switched my flying from US to CO in 2008, as a by-product of Doug Parker and Scott Kirby cheapening the flying experience on US. Now as I inch closer (938K+), I am glad that I have stuck it out. Ironically, if I hadn't credited so much of my UA flying to US, I'd be a MM'er already (just barely). I buy a lot of P fares to get 1K each year, so (unless I have some unexpected travel this year) I'm still about 9 months away. If you fly UA as much as possible when it makes sense, you'll get there eventually. But as others have stated, UA can change the program and benefits at any time. Unless you do a ton of flying, you're probably better off making your goal to qualify for UA Gold annually.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by paperwastage
*A Gold with Asiana gives you United lounge access when flying UA domestically

*A Gold with UA doesn't give you United lounge access when flying UA domestically, but you get E+ access on UA metal

pretty important distinction
Considering the (potentially added) cost of flying 1MM, it might be cheaper to just straight up buy a lounge subscription (or get the credit card, for slightly cheaper).
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA MM
I achieved MM due to many years of flying at what's now called Gold level. My travel was split between work and leisure. I had some years in the 80s when I'd do a couple of transpac trips but mostly transcons between BOS and SFO. Also UA flies to most of the places I like to vacation. It used to be much nicer flying with status and of course that kept me working for status, but I never did mileage runs, I just took what I had. MM itself wasn't really a goal as it didn't really give me anything over the status I had year over year anyway. Then with the birth of a kid I started cutting my work travel way back. Since I'd no longer hit status based on my yearly BIS miles, MM suddenly became rather more valuable to me.
So the main benefits I get from my MM = Gold status are: Getting E+ seats and options for exit rows on booking, Baggage up to 75 lbs (sometimes travel with a bunch of outdoors gear), and *Gold international lounge access. I think they reduced access to some award flights at some point, but I still see them, either because of my status or because I still have a UA-bonded credit card (I think both count so if I drop the card I'm still good?) Having my spouse be Gold as well helps when we don't travel together - she's happier when I choose to extend my vacation solo if she still gets a good seat on the way home.
In summary, I think MM is not worth going much out of your way for, but it always does help to concentrate your flying on one award program if you can.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
I have obtained MM over the past 30 years by first being a PMCO flyer based in EWR. I can't even begin to count the EWR-DCA-EWR trips that I have made, but each was worth 1000 miles. At 90 segments a year, they add up. But after 9/11, flying this route became impractical and I turned to Amtrak. But then my job moved to DC and began to involve a lot more international travel, so I fell into the lap of UA -- and then the merger occurred and my account values were combined. I count myself fortunate for lucking into accruing most of my flight miles on carriers that turned into one.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Gig103
No, that's Delta that uses MQM for million miler (boosted by CC bonuses, class of service, etc).
AA is still BIS.
AA counts partner flights while UA only counts BIS on UA/UAX operated flights. AA credit also seems to be based on the marketing carrier. Unless I misunderstood their rules, code shares with an AA flight number count as an AA operated flight although that may just be for Elite status as opposed to MM credit. No idea how they count an AA operated flight with another One World Airlines's flight number. They may all have changed as I don't follow AA's program very closely anymore. I remember being really annoyed that I couldn't get any credit on an BA flight because it competed with AA on the route. Hopefully, that has changed... Anyway, this is what their website says:
Miles earned toward Million Miler status are based on the distance of your flight for travel on American marketed flights or the base miles earned for travel on eligible partner marketed flights.
And up ~2011 or so, AA also counted all miles including those from the AA credit card. They have many MMs who never left the ground.

DL also used to count everything when it was the Delta Frequent Flyer Program, prior to changing over to the Skymiles Program in ~1995
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Go long hauls as much as possible. I got mine doing 6-10 transpacs and an occasional transatl or few per year for work.

Biggest benefit is companion status. Having the wife match my GS status really does help somewhat to offset the strains of being away from home.

Not sure if it would feel the same at gold. Someday I’ll find out as I ratchet down my travel.

Definitely a positive thing to shoot for, but only if it makes sense with you travel patterns or ambitions.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
I am getting close to 2MM on UAL - the service I receive keeps getting worse
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Leemo
My goal is to reach MM status, as I currently am only 135K lifetime miles with UA.
Hello and welcome to FT -

There are regulars on FT who have 900K lifetime miles with UA and have posted that they have switched carriers; supposedly abandoning this goal. UA gold has been greatly devalued over the last few years or so; at least 50% IMO.

The MM status+ is only worth achieving now if it is a natural part of your travel.

Kirby thinks that UA can be successful regardless of the FF program so I expect further devaluations

I think you are better off being a free agent if flying US domestic
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 3MM, Lifetime 1K, Lifetime UC, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, CMEL pilot
I'm slowly, very slowly, closing in on 4MM, but am doing nothing to aggregate my travel on UA. If I knew then what I know now ...I wouldn't be a 3MM UA flyer
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by ermintrude
Hello and UA gold has been greatly devalued over the last few years or so; at least 50% IMO.
Could you explain that one for me?

From my experience the only complaints I have are the low likelihood of getting a CPU and the lack of shower and other amenities at the red carpet club. Otherwise benefits seem to be about same (or even better if you consider Rewards plus) than say back in 2014.

Safe Travels,

James

Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Welcome to FT!
I became a MM as a PMCO business flier over 20 years of uneven travel. PMCO was significantly less generous to MMs with status (Silver) but had the companion benefit for spouses.
Do not make getting to MM your goal. Look at it as a by-product of travelling you want or need to do. Let it be a factor in your choice of airline, but not the sole driver.

A long time ago on an airline far in the past, PMUA MM's were entitled to Lifetime Premier Executive (Gold today), two regional upgrade certificates (RPUs today) per year, three 75 pound bags and two E+ seats. There were also some system-wide certs (GPUs) that you got at 1MM and there was no 75K status level to compete with for CPUs. It is my belief that this level of benefits was economically unsustainable in a business model where not going bankrupt every few years was a desirable goal.
The current level of benefits are much more economically rational and still above those of most comparable airlines. I have found the companion benefit makes up for many of the former perks as both of us can bring another traveler to E+ We can have up to 8 on our PNR's to give each two 75 pound bags. Four to six of us can also get into *A Lounges. So while our individual perks were trimmed, flying with a group was made better.
I am travelling much more with my wife on personal tourist trips and appreciate each of the perks more as I near retirement.

Good luck and happy trails!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Leemo
What did you all do to reach that MM status?
Up in the Air.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
UA has devalued MM post merger, but remains more generous than AA, the only other program I'm vaguely familiar with.
I believe AA was more generous than UA in the past.

Yes - 1MM can only land you a AA Gold. However, AA counted all RDM earnings for MM purpose, while UA insists on BIS.

This was how the Pudding Guy got the MM status.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by garykung

Yes - 1MM can only land you a AA Gold. However, AA counted all RDM earnings for MM purpose, while UA insists on BIS.
Well, my friend was a long time Exec Plat, and his benefits put my on and off 1K status to shame.

However, even as lowly AA Plat for life, apparently gets treated like a King on CX.

Haven't felt the love with anyone but LH, but they seem to do that for EVERYONE

OK, some pretty good experiences with TG, but again, for everyone on board .....

Originally Posted by garykung

However, AA counted all RDM earnings for MM purpose, while UA insists on BIS..
They do now @:-)

PMCO used partner flights and class bonus for lifetime status, and when merging, allowed PMUA fliers to do the same.

In my case, that was a flight on Copa, KLM and NW, along with a bunch of US flights that I credited to UA whose prices were simply uncompetitive.

Regardless, without a merger I'd be a Kettle still, but at 1.15 million .... OTOH, recall both PMUA and PMCO offering double EQMs on some flights, but don't recall if they counted toward MM status. Thanks to those made CO Plat and UA 1K in same year

Last edited by EmailKid; Jun 4, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PaulMCO
The benefits outweigh the hardships.
Disagree. Most of the benefits can be purchased ad hoc for less than the "pain" of going out of your way or spending extra to fly a particular airline in hopes of realizing some long-term benefit 5+ years from now in a program that will almost certainly look different 5+ years from now.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Based on current projects, I should be hitting 1MM sometime this year. Within spitting distance now. For me, working in consulting and doing frequent trips to Europe/Asia have really racked up the miles in the last 2-3 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.