FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Dogs on a plane (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1911877-dogs-plane.html)

sdix May 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Dogs on a plane

UA 892 today ICN-SFO a couple with 2 large labrador type dogs board in Polaris (sitting together) 1 had a service dog vest and the other didn't.

After take off the humans allow both dogs to lie on the fully reclined seat while they sit on the foot rest portion..

Even as a dog lover I was a little taken aback. Seems to me the dogs should be on the floor. I mentioned that to the purser and her response was they were a little big to both be on the floor next to each other and it was really cute to see them sleeping there.

I sure hope the next passengers aren't allergic to dogs as their slobber and hair are all over the seat now.......

zymm May 30, 2018 5:20 pm

I'm pretty sure a rental car company would charge a hefty cleaning fee in that situation!

Miggles May 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Reading behind the lines, I think the purser wanted the passenger who reported this to mind their own business.

zebranz May 30, 2018 5:46 pm

I hope they had a gel pillow- best part of Polaris.

MSPeconomist May 30, 2018 6:36 pm

Pampered pouches. They take the bed while owners sit on the footstools. I hope they otherwise behaved and didn't roam around the cabin or lunge at anyone (other than the owners).

StuckinITH May 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz (Post 29810992)
I hope they had a gel pillow- best part of Polaris.

That's all I need: a gel pillow that smells like dogs.....

mahasamatman May 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Miggles (Post 29810972)
Reading behind the lines, I think the purser wanted the passenger who reported this to mind their own business.

And I think the passenger should be rewarded and the purser should be fired.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29811138)
Pampered pouches.

These were dogs, not marsupials.

warrenw May 31, 2018 4:05 am

I didn't know that dogs were even allowed in Polaris.....

fumje May 31, 2018 7:42 am

Originally Posted by warrenw (Post 29812373)

My last flight on the UD of the 747 had a large shepherd dog there, with its own seat there as well.

One lucky dog!

restlessinRNO May 31, 2018 7:43 am

Originally Posted by warrenw (Post 29812373)

Apparently one of the dogs was a "service dog". :)

ContinentalFan May 31, 2018 9:02 am

Originally Posted by sdix (Post 29810909)
UA 892 today ICN-SFO a couple with 2 large labrador type dogs board in Polaris (sitting together) 1 had a service dog vest and the other didn't.

What could the flight attendants do? Labradors won’t fit into the overhead bin; there was no choice but to seat them.

StuckinITH May 31, 2018 10:46 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO (Post 29812899)
Apparently one of the dogs was a "service dog". :)

And the other one was the emotional support animal for the service dog. :)

timezone_trooper May 31, 2018 11:08 am

Is there an official UA policy for pets on seats? Totally understand service dogs laying at the feet of their owners, but what about on the seats (even with a ticket purchase)? Allergy/health concerns of passengers on subsequent flights would come into play I imagine; there are people who, with even slight exposure to animal dander, are prone to severe anaphylaxis.

notquiteaff May 31, 2018 11:13 am

Originally Posted by timezone_trooper (Post 29813722)
Is there an official UA policy for pets on seats? Totally understand service dogs laying at the feet of their owners, but what about on the seats (even with a ticket purchase)? Allergy/health concerns of passengers on subsequent flights would come into play I imagine; there are people who, with even slight exposure to animal dander, are prone to sever anaphylaxis.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../in-cabin.html

"An animal must sit at the customer's feet without protruding into the aisle or other area that must remain unobstructed to comply with safety regulations. "

OP should send a message to United reporting this.

caseminole May 31, 2018 11:45 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 29813741)
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../in-cabin.html

"An animal must sit at the customer's feet without protruding into the aisle or other area that must remain unobstructed to comply with safety regulations. "

OP should send a message to United reporting this.

a guy at MCO on Monday was walking with a very LARGE great dane to his plane.

Now I am officially confused.

I thought any dog that could not fit in a carrier had to be in stowage in the belly of the plane

Can you simply opt to purchase a seat for a dog in main cabin regardless of size?