Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dogs on a plane

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by caseminole
a guy at MCO on Monday was walking with a very LARGE great dane to his plane.

Now I am officially confused.

I thought any dog that could not fit in a carrier had to be in stowage in the belly of the plane

Can you simply opt to purchase a seat for a dog in main cabin regardless of size?
You need to distinguish between pets and service animals. In-cabin pets have to be in a closed (!) kennel under the seat in front of you at all times.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../in-cabin.html

Service animals don't have to be in a kennel, but they are supposed to be sitting in the passenger's foot space. How you would accomplish that with many large dogs without using part of the neighbor's space or the aisle I often wonder as I see large dogs in the airport.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Is it only American carriers who allow this? Wouldn't catch me sitting on a plane with a dog.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i was disappointed to see that his thread was not about a movie sequel starring samuel l. jackson in which he utters those immortal words: "I've had it with these mother loving dogs on this mother loving plane!"
jsloan and Dalewood like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
So when they got off the flight how do they send them to quarantine? Or are you able to get papers that you show the regular “human” CBP? I assumed you just couldn’t fly into the US with animals.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I want a picture of the two of them in their Polaris seats!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:45 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
I didn't know that dogs were even allowed in Polaris.....
Why wouldn't they be?

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
So when they got off the flight how do they send them to quarantine? Or are you able to get papers that you show the regular “human” CBP? I assumed you just couldn’t fly into the US with animals.
If the dog is chipped, with the right papers, in many countries, it can skip quarantine.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
These were dogs, not marsupials.
OOPS. I didn't notice that autocorrect had "fixed" my spelling. Thanks and sorry.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I want a picture of the two of them in their Polaris seats!
I’ve been saying for years that United’s premium seating product has gone to the dogs.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Ari
Why wouldn't they be?
“Pets are not permitted in our premium cabins on Boeing 757, 767, 777 or 787 aircraft due to limited storage space under the seat.”

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../in-cabin.html

the OP states one of the dogs had a service dog vest and the other one didn’t have one. Not sure if it is a requirement for service dogs to be “in uniform”, but if it was a pet, it should have been in a kennel and not in the Polaris cabin. I assume the GA would have enforced that.

(I have always found it “interesting” that a small purse in the foot space of the premium cabin or bulkhead seats is a hazard in case of an emergency, but a large dog is perfectly acceptable)
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
Is there an official UA policy for pets on seats? Totally understand service dogs laying at the feet of their owners, but what about on the seats (even with a ticket purchase)? Allergy/health concerns of passengers on subsequent flights would come into play I imagine; there are people who, with even slight exposure to animal dander, are prone to severe anaphylaxis.
It seems that the only people who count are the ones that claims right to what they are doing. The average Joe with a pet allergy is told to ‘suck it up’ when confronted with a service animal with an entitled handler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.