Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (nearly) dead last in J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (nearly) dead last in J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:24 pm

Want a real gut check on the reality of United service? Took a transcontinental Mint trip a couple weeks back on B6 for $499 - unbelievable seat & service for narrow body. Food pretty good. United's first class option was A320 and $2,078. Wish the B6 product was available out of DEN.

Last edited by aspena; Jun 5, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by aspena
Want a real gut check on the reality of United service? Took a transcontinental Mint trip a couple weeks back on B6 for $499 - unbelievable seat & service for narrow body. Food pretty good. United's first class option was A320 and $2,078. Wish the B6 product was available out of DEN.
Okay... but what happens when B6 cancels? Here's some reality: from experience as a Mosaic, and as someone who lives in a B6 hub, the IRROPS is absolutely atrocious. I've gotten burned way too many times with them; good luck getting back from most of the cities they fly to with their one a day service. Thanks, but no thanks. Yes, a one time cheap Mint flight is nice, but hardly representative of their ops.

I'll stick with AA/UA who may not offer branded snacks and Dunkin Donuts coffee (which I find to be terrible anyways), but they do generally get me to my destination on time and always get me there safely. Especially for meetings, but to a lesser extent for leisure (time is precious), sorry, the grass isn't greener or "Minty" on the other side with B6. YMMV...

As for JD Power, it's a name and shame game and quite possibly a pay to play. Too bad for JD, there is no shame in the c-suites at US airlines...
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Okay... but what happens when B6 cancels? Here's some reality: from experience as a Mosaic, and as someone who lives in a B6 hub, the IRROPS is absolutely atrocious. I've gotten burned way too many times with them; good luck getting back from most of the cities they fly to with their one a day service. Thanks, but no thanks. Yes, a one time cheap Mint flight is nice, but hardly representative of their ops.
In addition to their poor IRROPS performance, flying B6 means that if your meeting ends early, you're not catching an earlier flight home. Like you would be if you flew UA or AA.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I don't give a fig about surveys like this. But I have been splitting my paid F flying between UA and AA for the last month and a half (during which Kirby introduced the bonus lottery, F catering cuts and reprimanded FA's grooming standards...most of which were later reversed) and the difference in FA attitude is MASSIVE. And I mean massive. UA FAs are "mailing it in" based on the last 6 weeks of flying and comparing it to AA. Even on the ground, I sense less hostility towards customers and on two occasions where I needed help from AA (weather delay in one case and standing by in another) I was served promptly and got home when I needed to be. Something UA has been struggling with for me this year (last year was great incidentally).

As a result, I will be switching my flying to AA starting in August which will be plenty of time to make EXP still on top of 1K which I already earned this year.
UA sucks completely. I say now and have said for years that UA would be happier flying empty airplanes and not having to deal with those pesky paying customers.

My parents (in their 80s) got cancelled on two successive days flying AA last week. Second swing at the bat they taxied out, sat 3 hrs, taxied back, cancelled. Sad. Had to get there, so on the third swing, AA upgraded them (no ask, just did) got them there, and apologised profusely for the prior two days WEATHER delays. On UA? Never ever ever would that happen.

To say how poorly I have been treated by UA as an elite flier is an understatement regardless of any story I could relate. AA got my 326,000 EQM and $65k spend last year. Screw UAL. The sooner they, and their sorry airline go out of business, the better we will all be. My last UA flight (couldn't avoid it) was in paid First. Boarding scrum in Group 1, broken IFE, no seat power, no wi fi transcon, muffin on a plastic plate. Seriously. So below standard and what DL and AA offer it is a joke. Have I said the sooner UA and its sorry offering disappears the better the domestic airline industry will become? I guess I have. UAL sucks completely. Screw UAL.
demkr and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rowingman
Have I said the sooner UA and its sorry offering disappears the better the domestic airline industry will become?
Sure, that makes sense. The biggest problem in the airline industry is too much competition, so if only some of the competitors would implode...
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by rowingman
UA sucks completely. I say now and have said for years that UA would be happier flying empty airplanes and not having to deal with those pesky paying customers.

My parents (in their 80s) got cancelled on two successive days flying AA last week. Second swing at the bat they taxied out, sat 3 hrs, taxied back, cancelled. Sad. Had to get there, so on the third swing, AA upgraded them (no ask, just did) got them there, and apologised profusely for the prior two days WEATHER delays. On UA? Never ever ever would that happen.

To say how poorly I have been treated by UA as an elite flier is an understatement regardless of any story I could relate. AA got my 326,000 EQM and $65k spend last year. Screw UAL. The sooner they, and their sorry airline go out of business, the better we will all be. My last UA flight (couldn't avoid it) was in paid First. Boarding scrum in Group 1, broken IFE, no seat power, no wi fi transcon, muffin on a plastic plate. Seriously. So below standard and what DL and AA offer it is a joke. Have I said the sooner UA and its sorry offering disappears the better the domestic airline industry will become? I guess I have. UAL sucks completely. Screw UAL.
So three days worth of cancelled flights and a comp upgrade to F, which were probably the only seats left, and that’s something to offer kudos to AA on? This story could feature at the end of the AA safety video because AA is “going for great”... LOL
tuolumne and KDS777 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I've flown more often on UA the past 12 months than anticipated and it turned out better than I thought it would. That said, the experience does seem to be less consistent than I'd like and there are definitely things that can be improved (such as making Wi-Fi more reliable).
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I flew with a seat mate today who was an intl pax doing some traveling in the US, he mentioned that yesterday he flew from Tampa to SFO, 5hrs plus,
at boarding the GA asked passengers to use the bathroom before boarding as the two lavs in coach were busted , I imagine that ringing around an airport
doesn't do to much for your quality perceptions
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
... B6 had a good experience on board, but IRROPS handling was pretty bad - and LGB was packed with fog delaying a ton of flights 4+ hours. But there was mass confusion and not very good communication with pax. IME, UA isn't the best in this, but B6 was way worse in every way.
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Okay... but what happens when B6 cancels? Here's some reality: from experience as a Mosaic, and as someone who lives in a B6 hub, the IRROPS is absolutely atrocious. I've gotten burned way too many times with them; good luck getting back from most of the cities they fly to with their one a day service. Thanks, but no thanks. Yes, a one time cheap Mint flight is nice, but hardly representative of their ops....
Same here. I do most of my flying on B6 these days and love the hard and soft products MUCH MUCH MUCH better than UA. Only times I miss being on UA is irrops. UA was always fantastic in dealing with me, whether I was GS, 1K, or now PP, I always got the help I needed to get where I am going. B6? Not so much.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Exactly. I fly mostly AS and UA, have roughly equivalent status on both airlines, and pretty much choose between them based on price (factoring in mileage earnings) and convenience of schedule. There may be a slight difference in service quality, but as you say it isn’t markedly different in my personal experience.

Exactly. It's kind of a joke that AS continues to be this public opinion darling. I don't fly much AS or UA much anymore (AS because their fares suck, UA because they've largely pulled out of SEA). But i still fly them occasionally, and I just don't think there's much difference between AS and UA in terms of service (I fly only coach / economy plus). So far this year I've flown AS, DL, Jet Blue and UA domestically. My best flight thus far was actually UA. The bulkhead row on UA's 319 E+ is great, and I don't think you'll find a better seat on AS' premier class. So far this year I've only encountered major FA attitudes once, and that was DL's ATL-based crew. I find Mileage Plus to be much more versatile and usable than AS' MP.

I just think people like to dump on UA, and it's almost become fashionable. I hate these surveys. It's unfortunate that the public puts a lot of credence in them. My own industry is being dragged down by this culture of surveys, but the survey company is an increasingly powerful corporation that continually pushes to justify its existence and wield more influence. It's all kind of a joke.
notquiteaff and KDS777 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
SNIP...

Regardless, I'm not terribly unhappy with UA, but I will admit that I no longer speak highly of them as well. I used to be free advertising for UA, promoting them from a proud standpoint. Now I keep my mouth closed. So publicly nothing negative or positive will be heard from me.
This plus 1000%. The penny pinching tomato juice great heist, and the 10 across config finally did it for me with UA and I will not recommend them any longer. So-so is the best I can muster but I won't recommend them to anyone.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
WN is no cheaper than anyone else; in fact, they're often significantly more expensive than the competition, especially if you don't need checked luggage or get it via status. They have coasted for years on a reputation for low fares. The reputation hasn't matched reality in a long time.
Originally Posted by emcampbe

agreed - When I’ve looked, I’ve always seen WN as about the same price or higher than others - I might have seen them a few bucks cheaper a time or two (like $5-$10), but when I was living in the near north Chicago suburbs, definitely not nearly enough to get me to trek to MDW, even without my UA premier benefits.

This false low fare reputation, IMO, has festered because they don’t publish fares in the GDS and so you can’t find them on OTA sites, for example, next to UA, DL and AA fares. So people have to go to WNs site, can assume they are cheapest since they don’t see the competition’s fares there, and that’s that.

True. Just a couple things to add:

1. WN is always advertising its "low" fares and sales on TV. The other airlines never do. Or if the others are, they're doing a pretty lousy job in comparison.That helps WN's (undeserved) rep of having low fares.
2. WN doesn't have change fees, unlike the others. That is a big upside for some people.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:48 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by evergrn

Exactly. It's kind of a joke that AS continues to be this public opinion darling. I don't fly much AS or UA much anymore (AS because their fares suck, UA because they've largely pulled out of SEA). But i still fly them occasionally, and I just don't think there's much difference between AS and UA in terms of service (I fly only coach / economy plus). So far this year I've flown AS, DL, Jet Blue and UA domestically. My best flight thus far was actually UA. The bulkhead row on UA's 319 E+ is great, and I don't think you'll find a better seat on AS' premier class. So far this year I've only encountered major FA attitudes once, and that was DL's ATL-based crew. I find Mileage Plus to be much more versatile and usable than AS' MP.

I just think people like to dump on UA, and it's almost become fashionable. I hate these surveys. It's unfortunate that the public puts a lot of credence in them. My own industry is being dragged down by this culture of surveys, but the survey company is an increasingly powerful corporation that continually pushes to justify its existence and wield more influence. It's all kind of a joke.
I guess I have a really counter experience, every other week I do 3 segments on UA and one on AS. On UA always E+, use RPU/GPU to first on the domestic leg, get AS 50% time get upgraded to first.

GA more times than not AS give me positive experience, about 1/10 times UA is a negative experience and can't remember on positive GA experience, sad isn't it. On the plane I'd call it closer, more positive on AS, but recently two UA from PVG actually encountered an exceptional FA, balanced by some that were way below average. AS rarely a bad FA experience, YMMV

There is a reason AS has some good will, LOL

Every two weeks ~ 22 hours UA, 2 hours AS, UA got lots of time to impress me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.