Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experience with United's new EWR-KEF route?

Old May 30, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic

Has anyone flown the new United route from EWR to KEF and the return route? Wondering about the logistics of the route, arrival, check-in at KEF and boarding, and the product quality of the flight? I flew DL from JFK to KEF a few years back and the ground operation in KEF was a nightmare, as they were using contractors who had no idea what they were doing. I tried searching the forums but did not see any posts on this.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:05 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I'd assume its just like any other international United flight. Maybe a little less organized.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Haven’t been to kEF, on UA or other, but maybe ground handling issues are the norm there? Sister flew on AC (well, Rouge), and has issues there also. Arrived well before he check in cutoff, not sure exactly, but I think like 45-60 minutes prior to cutoff), and they were so slow she missed the cutoff and they tagged her bags but said it wouldn’t be on that flight. She was able to actually board the flight - she must have checked in online so they were able to give her a BP (and actually, I’ve had this happen at CVG so maybe it is just as much of an AC problem). Her bags didn’t show up in YYz for over a week.

Hopefully, UA is better than that.
ge44723 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
In KEF right now. I'll be flying the return in C-Class in a few days, but the outbound was pathetic in Y. EAT BEFORE YOU FLY! All we were served was a bag of Lay's potato chips, M&M's, a Fig Newton type bar, and a small, stale turkey sandwich on a roll. Oh, and a granola bar for breakfast. UA should be embarrassed!
MatthewLAX and ge44723 like this.

Last edited by UAPremierGuy; Mar 4, 2019 at 12:22 am
Old May 30, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
In KEF right now. I'll be flying the return in C-Class in a few days, but the outbound was pathetic in Y. EAT BEFORE YOU FLY! All we were served as a bag of Lay's potato chips, M&M's, a Fig Newton type bar, and a small, stale turkey sandwich on a roll. Oh, and a granola bar for breakfast. UA should be embarrassed!
Interesting that UA waters down the Y service... it's still coded as 'dinner'. I wonder if the return is catered at EWR? I am also curious to see if it gets a full Polaris service. EWR-KEF has generally been about 5h enroute takeoff-to-touchdown, and about 5.5h going west, so it compares favorably to most EWR transcons.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL Silver, SW, BA, AC 25k, Marriott Gold
In KEF right now. I'll be flying the return in C-Class in a few days, but the outbound was pathetic in Y. EAT BEFORE YOU FLY! All we were served as a bag of Lay's potato chips, M&M's, a Fig Newton type bar, and a small, stale turkey sandwich on a roll. Oh, and a granola bar for breakfast. UA should be embarrassed!
How many meals do you normally eat in 5 1/2 hours?
TA and Bensky13 like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Not excusing the lame meals, but with WOW/IcelandAir being the main competitors, I am surprised UA serves anything on this route. Delta and American both serve meals to HNL and United doesn't for example.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by brooks_87
How many meals do you normally eat in 5 1/2 hours?
It is not just the 5.5 hours! Many people, especially with UA's horrible MCT's, go from gate-to-gate, running, especially in the packed EWR that is horrible to connect in, without a meal before the flight. Again, NO REASON to fly with UA on this route unless they figure out that even with the late departure, Y customers still want a proper meal and not the 7-11 Lunchable meal that is currently offered.
FlyingNone, uanj and ge44723 like this.

Last edited by UAPremierGuy; Mar 4, 2019 at 12:24 am
Old May 30, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ge44723
Has anyone flown the new United route from EWR to KEF and the return route? Wondering about the logistics of the route, arrival, check-in at KEF and boarding, and the product quality of the flight? I flew DL from JFK to KEF a few years back and the ground operation in KEF was a nightmare, as they were using contractors who had no idea what they were doing. I tried searching the forums but did not see any posts on this.
I flew from KEF to EWR on Monday, May 28, 2018

Boarding process: F
Food: B+
Seat Comfort: B+ (E- was surprisingly good; lost E+ after I removed my UA info)
Flight Experience: A+

Overall: A-

Bonus: we went through immigration at EWR Terminal C (first time ever for me). Our gate (56) at Terminal B was occupied, so after running around the taxiway for 20-25 minutes, we parked at gate 137 at Terminal C. GE kiosk wasn't working (except it was!). First one to an empty baggage area and before I exited the terminal, an officer asked me why I didn't have any luggage

It is not just the 5.5 hours! Many people, especially with UA's horrible MCT's, go from gate-to-gate, running, especially in the packed EWR that is horrible to connect in, without a meal before the flight. Again, NO REASON to fly with UA on this route unless they figure out that even with the late departure, Y customers still want a proper meal and not the 7=11 Lunchable meal that is currently offered.
One of the first meals I enjoyed in Y ^
ge44723 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:27 pm

A buddy just flew back on UNITED and said it was like someone explained the UNITED procedures to management, but management never actually communicated UNITED's procedures to the people actually doing the work so it was chaotic.

He said that catering (at least in Business) was fine and he said actually a little better than other airports that he has flown from on UNITED.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kmersh
A buddy just flew back on UNITED and said it was like someone explained the UNITED procedures to management, but management never actually communicated UNITED's procedures to the people actually doing the work so it was chaotic.

He said that catering (at least in Business) was fine and he said actually a little better than other airports that he has flown from on UNITED.
I'm told the flight is double-catered in Newark.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I'm told the flight is double-catered in Newark.
So no Kæstur hákarl on the return?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl
Old May 30, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Also, it's a 1030pm flight out of EWR - way past dinner time anyway.

Return flight is a light lunch, which is appropriate, IMO.

For unknown reasons, I had a better experience in E- than all of the PS 752 flights in E+, same plane and all.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by ge44723
I flew the inaugural in row 7 in Y. It was a fun flight. Crew were excited, cocktails were comped for the whole flight. As somebody already mentioned, the food in Y is a total disgrace. And I got the exact same pitiful meal on the return, obviously catered in EWR.
The KEF airport was fine on all levels. Ground staff were clearly new, but there were numerous employees, probably from the USA, there monitoring everything.

There were only 22 people on my return which was almost creepy! Great FA's on the return though, but the food...….ugh. For an International flight, it was shameful. The prearrival "snack" on my return was a granola bar.

Great flight attendants, Iceland was fun - EXTREMELY expensive. Food and drink there is crazy expensive. At least $25 for a burger in a non-luxury restaurant. A well mixed drink is over $20 in a dive bar.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
There were only 22 people on my return which was almost creepy!
Full flight on Memorial Day back to the US, which I was surprised given it was the first week of launch.

I tried to use my drinks voucher but the FA told me it was free

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.