Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum latest time to cancel (cash) UA ticket for credit?

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 30, 19, 2:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
related thread -- Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

You can be marked as a non-show at T-15 minutes (domestic) and T-30 minutes (international) and earlier a handful of airports (T-60). This will certainty happen when the flight is "closed" which can be soon afterwards. Note this assumes you have checked in. Check-in deadline is 30-45 minutes domestic and 60 minutes international, again there are a few even earlier exceptions.
Print Wikipost

Old May 24, 18, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA premier gold

Oddly I cannot find the answer to this: I have a UA ticket tomorrow evening (economy K) I most likely need to cancel and I'd like to get the amount as a credit (minus the 200$) the agent said "a few hours" before departure when I called to ask. Anyone know a specific number of hours before?
thank you!
Old May 24, 18, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Any time prior to the coupon being voided when you are offloaded from the flight. I don't have a great opinion on how long you want as a safety margin to make sure the cancellation processes before departure, but it's a minimum of 15 minutes (domestic) or 30 minutes (international) if you have checked in.
Old May 24, 18, 10:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LosFeliz View Post
Oddly I cannot find the answer to this: I have a UA ticket tomorrow evening (economy K) I most likely need to cancel and I'd like to get the amount as a credit (minus the 200$) the agent said "a few hours" before departure when I called to ask. Anyone know a specific number of hours before?
thank you!
Strictly speaking, you are OK if you cancel prior to the GA closing the flight, which is 10-15 minutes prior to departure. But I wouldn't push that close -- not under 30 minutes, at least 60 minutes would be better.

Allow some time for a "problem" -- you have an issue log on to united.com or a delay getting a phone agent or ....
Old May 25, 18, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LosFeliz View Post
thank you!
You donít subtract the change fee from the credit. United requires you to pay a new $200 to use the credit from a prior nonrefundable ticket.
Bensky13 likes this.
Old May 25, 18, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Strictly speaking, you are OK if you cancel prior to the GA closing the flight, which is 10-15 minutes prior to departure. But I wouldn't push that close -- not under 30 minutes, at least 60 minutes would be better.

Allow some time for a "problem" -- you have an issue log on to united.com or a delay getting a phone agent or ....
i donít think many flights actually close 15 minutes prior to departure unless boarding is done really early. T-15 (30 for international) is when they can offload you from the flight. My understanding is the ticket gets canceled not simply when you are offloaded, but when the flight closes with you offloaded. The GA still has work to do to close the flight, so that would likely take a few minutes.

That said, I agree not to cut it until the last minute..things (like life) happens and can interrupt a perfectally good intention to cancel right before the bell (so to speak)

i actually did this once pretty late, a few years ago. Was supposed to go to YYZ, but found out a day or two before I wasnít going to go anymore. I was flying a connection to ORD, wife was on that same connection to ORD but was going out to California. Also noticed the ORD flight was booked Ďfullí. So I ended up using the BP to go to the gate so i could see the wife off, but was also hoping I could VDB. They never ended up needing a volunteer, and so while the flight was still boarding, I called res and canceled. As an aside and the irony of travel sometime, shortly after I canceled, my YYZ flight started significantly delaying, and in another hour or so, was outright canceled. So had I actually boarded the flight and gone out to ORD, I could have just claimed trip in vein. But such is life.
Old Feb 16, 19, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP
Latest cancellation time

i have a reservation tomorrow out of HNL. It is the return portion of a RT ticket. The ticket is non refundable. What is the latestt I can cancel and retain the funds (change fee of course will apply)

still hoping for outside chance of flight cancelled or delayed causing missed connection so that I can get a refund, but I know it is very unlikely.

Last edited by wvactions; Feb 16, 19 at 2:47 pm
Old Feb 16, 19, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by wvactions View Post
i have a reservation tomorrow out of HNL. It is the return portion of a RT ticket. The ticket is non refundable. What is the latestt I can cancel and retain the funds (change fee of course will apply). ...

Before the flight is closed -- 10 to 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure (domestic).

You can be marked as a no-show if not available to board at T-15 minutes (domestic)

However, I would not let it go that late, a hour or two is probably safe.
Old Feb 16, 19, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP
Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 19, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by wvactions View Post
Thanks!
Also don't miss the check-in deadline (usually 30m)
Old Nov 10, 19, 2:11 pm

How close to departure can I change my flight?

I have a business class flight departing at ~1400 on Tuesday from Pittsburgh, via Chicago, to Amsterdam. I'll find out by 8am that same day whether or not I need to delay my trip by a week.

Is there any deadline by which I can no longer change the flight?
Old Nov 10, 19, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Katamarino View Post
Is there any deadline by which I can no longer change the flight?
Yes -- the time at which you are declared a no-show for the flight -- between 15-60 minutes prior to departure, depending upon your route. 6 hours prior to departure is completely safe.
iluv2fly and Katamarino like this.
Old Nov 10, 19, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Yes -- the time at which you are declared a no-show for the flight -- between 15-60 minutes prior to departure, depending upon your route. 6 hours prior to departure is completely safe.
OP, assuming theyíve not cancelled by the check in cutoff, and have checked in by that time, has until the GA closes the flight with the pax offloaded. If checked in at T-60, they would most likely have until a few
minutes prior to departure of the first flight, or perhaps a few minutes after - depends on when the GA actually closes. This can be done, and often is, after the door is closed or flight has actually pushed back. Pax can be offloaded at T-15, but unless a fairly early boarding process, which I admit does happen occasionally, itís unlikely to be that early. can also be after scheduled departure, particularly if there is a delay.

that said, itís a risk to wait until too close. Technically, you could argue flat tire or something after the official cancelation, and get it reinstated for the value, seems like a lot of work, and itís better to cancel with some wiggle room. Web site spitting out an error, or IRROPS tying up phone lines (or a combination of both) do happen, and could be the difference between just getting it done and having to push for something.
Old Nov 11, 19, 4:19 pm

It's simple:

(1) Check in or cancel by the check-in deadline (T-60)

and

(2) Board or cancel by the boarding deadline (T-30 for int'l, T-15 for domestic)

Don't leave it to the last minute in case there's a technical issue.
Old Nov 30, 19, 10:09 am

Programs: Continental
Cancelling a ticket

I may need to cancel a ticket next week.
Is there a cut off time so I don't lose the value?
Old Nov 30, 19, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by hockey7711 View Post
I may need to cancel a ticket next week.
Is there a cut off time so I don't lose the value?
Do it before the flight closes. But better to do at least an hour or two before departure to allow time for any issues that raise than might prevent the cancellation.

If you don't check-in by the check-in time requirement, you will be offloaded but that is still not considered cancelled.

is this an award or paid ticket?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: