Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Seat/Seat Assignment on Codeshare flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM (ST E+), AA PM, UA GM

Hi All - First post, so apologies if this is in the wrong place, please be gentle! I booked a UA flight RSW-MUC for first week July and apparently, I can't do anything about seats or upgrades as this flight is "Operated By SunExpress dba Eurowings". Any suggestions as to how I could book a seat or upgrade this flight? I tried calling Eurowings but no one ever answers.

TIA!
Old May 24, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, TheStrongOne! If you used the United site to book this flight, a record locator for Eurowings (the six-character code for your reservation) should be available on the Reservations / View Reservations page. (This record locator is different from the United record locator.) You should be able to use the Eurowings record locator to go to the Eurowings website, then access your reservation through My Flight / View Booking.

Eurowings is not a member of the Star Alliance, so you will not be able to use United miles to upgrade.

I hope that helps! Please let us know what you find.
TheStrongOne likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Sometime it does not work with codeshare flights.

For example, I have an itinerary this weekend operated by 4 different *A members, all on a single PNR (016). One segment is a LX codeshare flight operated by AC, and I cannot select seat, not on UA, not on LX, and not on AC.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Eurowings is not a member of the Star Alliance, so you will not be able to use United miles to upgrade.
Furthermore, there’s no business class on the RSW-MUC route, and there’s no way to use United miles to upgrade to Premium Economy on any carrier.

OP: the operating carrier — Eurowings, in this case — is always responsible for handling seat assignments. This is true even though your ticket may have a United flight number. Not all Eurowings fares include the ability to select a seat for free, and their IT systems may not be able to handle charging for a seat assignment on a codeshare flight, so this may be difficult to do. You might want to check the Eurowings forum for other ideas about how to contact them, as there is nothing United will be able to do to help.

PS: In case you weren’t aware, this same information applies at the airport also. Do not try to check in with United. Instead, look for a counter labeled SunExpress or Eurowings.
TheStrongOne likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.