Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Private Suite @ LAX for UA

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I have never understood why USCBP and the TSA buy into this stuff.

Obviously there are VIP's who need to be screened separately for security reasons, but "you are rich so you get to buy your way out of standing in lines", with the money going to a private company (not the government), ...
Don't worry, the government is getting its cut.
greg99 and iluv2fly like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by milepig
This sounds pretty much like the service that is included at FRA/MUC with LH F tickets.
Except here you're paying for an upscale/exclusive ground experience for, let's say, an hour or two, only to step on to a very mediocre UA J experience for the next 5-12+ hours.
RichardInSF and AndyPatterson like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
If it's included in the LAX-EWR P fare I often buy... I'm in! (wishful thinking, eh?)
Living in LA, I know a few celebrities who will pay for this service... and I know a LOT more who wouldn't spend any extra $ on it.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
The UA description and what's on The Private Suites's website appear to offer slightly different experiences.

At first glance, it appears that UA is providing all of the same perks as using The Private Suite's terminal, but it reads to sound like the space may/will be shared with other UA pax.

However, The Private Suite's site boasts that each 'member' gets their own totally private suite with a daybed, shower, and whatnot. Although, for the much lower price that UA is charging, I can see that being the case.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Phil Level
If it's included in the LAX-EWR P fare I often buy... I'm in! (wishful thinking, eh?).....
For $1,250 more than what you pay today (Q surcharge)?
Old May 22, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by mellon
seems like a great deal for movie stars to avoid TMZ.
And a tacit admission by UA that a Polaris Lounge which otherwise might lend some privacy is a long ways off...
Old May 22, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Some airlines are using this terminal for crews due to the construction CF that will be going on at LAX landside for the next while.

Originally Posted by dilanesp
I have never understood why USCBP and the TSA buy into this stuff.

Obviously there are VIP's who need to be screened separately for security reasons, but "you are rich so you get to buy your way out of standing in lines", with the money going to a private company (not the government)
It's just another terminal, like any other the govt supports. All the pax pay their screening/CBP fees like everyone else. Landside access to screening is controlled by the airport, just like everywhere else (elite/premium lines, etc).

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
And a tacit admission by UA that a Polaris Lounge which otherwise might lend some privacy is a long ways off...
Utterly unrelated and for a completely different category of passenger.
Miggles likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For $1,250 more than what you pay today (Q surcharge)?
I would add (after rereading the above) that is for a "SINGLE VISIT". WOW! I'll stick with the Polaris Lounge for now and get my Global Entry set up pronto.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Since the upcharge is a Q surcharge, this would make the fee PQD-eligible?
Methinks those who buy this don't worry about PQDs
Kacee likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
File this under having "MMTIKWTDW" - "More Money Than I Know What To Do With"; or if one qualifies as "DYKWIA-RIAF" - Do You Know Who I Am - Really, I Am Famous

For the rest of the general populace, we'll just head to the Polaris Lounge... oh wait... I don't qualify for that either...
dkc715 and MrGood like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by greg99
It can be booked by agencies via the various GDS'es, and corporate discounts apply, so it starts to not be quite so crazy...
Where do you see the corporate discounts? Q does not apply to discounts normally.
I think this is stupidly expensive ... even the AF F lounge is a lot cheaper ....
Old May 22, 2018, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by cfischer
Where do you see the corporate discounts? Q does not apply to discounts normally.
It said so in the agency instructions:

If purchasing for a traveler on a United CSA contract, discounts apply per the contract on the base fare (provided the corporate contract has been coded)
Old May 22, 2018, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
Except here you're paying for an upscale/exclusive ground experience for, let's say, an hour or two, only to step on to a very mediocre UA J experience for the next 5-12+ hours.
Well,

the new true "Polaris" hard product is getting good reviews, and one would hope that flight purser would be alerted to keep the semi regular surly FA away from a VIP who uses this service @:-) Though to be honest, have not run into many of them lately
Old May 22, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
The UA description and what's on The Private Suites's website appear to offer slightly different experiences.

At first glance, it appears that UA is providing all of the same perks as using The Private Suite's terminal, but it reads to sound like the space may/will be shared with other UA pax.

However, The Private Suite's site boasts that each 'member' gets their own totally private suite with a daybed, shower, and whatnot. Although, for the much lower price that UA is charging, I can see that being the case.
Right - there is actually a "shared suite" offering that The Private Suite itself offers for ~$2,000 per person. It sounds like this offering is what United are building off of ...

I noticed the 120 minute International baggage cutoff advisory for this facility ... that's a full hour ahead of the main terminal! The new LAX GS experience is still among the best in the system ...
Old May 22, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Phil Level
... I know a few celebrities who will pay for this service... and I know a LOT more who wouldn't spend any extra $ on it.
And that’s the definition of “exclusive service.” The price point should be out of reach for most people. At least we all can use the service if we are willing to pay for it. In some of the more “egalitarian” countries, service like this also exists, but it doesn’t officially exist, so common people don’t even get the chance to know about it.
Phil Level and mozilla like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.