Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Heads-up: Waitlisting for Saver Economy X/XN awards disallowed since 31Jan2018 (YMMV)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads-up: Waitlisting for Saver Economy X/XN awards disallowed since 31Jan2018 (YMMV)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines

Spoke to an agent about waitlisting alternate flights on my WAS-Europe Saver Eco award, and she was adamant United does not allow waitlists on Saver Economy awards. I kindly asked for a supervisor, and I indeed got connected to a kind supervisor who informed me United issued a memo dated 1/31/2018 which mentions (I'm paraphrasing):

"Waitlisting is allowed for all premium cabin booking classes and Economy Y/YN booking classes as per fare rules, and disallowed for all Economy classes below Y/YN on all revenue and award tickets."

The supe was legacy CO, and I'm a legacy CO FFer, so she totally understood my frustration about the unannounced change, and offered to switch me to an alternate flight that opened up at no charge. If you're running into agents who are adamant that you cannot waitlist Saver Economy space, this is why.

One positive item, though. For the ballers who waitlist Saver Business, the same memo apparently spells out the process for getting confirmed in Coach while waitlisting for a higher cabin, so that process should be easier.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The published rules have long been missing any language allowing waitlisting for saver Y so this confirms that the omission is meaningful.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Unfortunate change, although I’ll be happy if the memo clarification means I won’t have to call twenty times to waitlist for I when in X/XN.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I did one recently, one segment on each direction. One of them has been cleared three weeks before the trip. How many segments did you try to waitlist?
Old May 20, 2018, 6:54 pm

I was able to waitlist Saver Economy last month. I had a confirmed flight and waitlisted for a different flight that day. No issues, unsurprisingly, this hasn't made its way though the ranks quite yet.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I did one recently, one segment on each direction. One of them has been cleared three weeks before the trip. How many segments did you try to waitlist?

Well, I was offered (and booked) WAS-SFO-ZRH-VIE-WAW-XXX by the mobile app. I sought to waitlist exactly two flights: 1) a WAS-SFO that would reduce the connection time from 5 hours to 2; and 2) IAD-ZRH nonstop. Both fairly reasonable requests, IMHO.

Originally Posted by afrozenfyre
I was able to waitlist Saver Economy last month. I had a confirmed flight and waitlisted for a different flight that day. No issues, unsurprisingly, this hasn't made its way though the ranks quite yet.
Yes, apparently some have gotten the memo, but others have not. It's total potluck at this point.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 21, 2018 at 12:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 21, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I also had no problem waitlisting for XN in March. I even got a call when it cleared, and they assigned the traveler to a blocked E+ bulkhead seat. I suspect this remains YMMV as the system will absolutely support it.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
I also had no problem waitlisting for XN in March. I even got a call when it cleared, and they assigned the traveler to a blocked E+ bulkhead seat. I suspect this remains YMMV as the system will absolutely support it.
Yes, the system absolutely allows waitlisting, but doing so for X/XN is now against policy, or so I've been told.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
I’m a bit confused… I am a 1k. Booked my wife on a Business Saver fare for a trip with an initial domestic US segment followed by a Transpac. The domestic US booked into coach on an XN fare. The transpac booked into Business on an I fare. I will be on the same flights with my wife.I called 1k line and asked about getting her waitlisted for XN for the domestic segment. Agent told me that this would not be possible, but I might be able to get her on the upgrade list as a companion.Is this a case of HUACA? Should I be more persistent with getting on the XN waitlist? Does the new policy impact any of this?
Old May 22, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm not quite sure what you want here - if your wife is confirmed on the same flights as you in Economy (XN), and you wish to waitlist for Business (I), then you need to ask to waitlist for I class. This is a HUCA situation and not affected by this policy.

This thread is about being confirmed in XN on one itinerary but waitlisting for XN on a different itinerary.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am confused. I thought they had disallowed WL on awards in the same class for a few years for X/XN (OK if WL for higher cabin)? No WL period - even some routing to reduce connection time. Thanks.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by username
I am confused. I thought they had disallowed WL on awards in the same class for a few years for X/XN (OK if WL for higher cabin)? No WL period - even some routing to reduce connection time. Thanks.
This has come up in the past but as the responses show many have been able to do recently. Just one of thsthing that occur dealing with UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.