United Customer Service

Old May 18, 18, 4:19 am
Original Poster

United Customer Service

So far after being away from UA since 2014 and reluctant to try them after the incidents that caused a ruckus here on FT and in the media I have had nothing but a positive experience with their 1800 Customer Service.
I feel its how you approach the agents. I work in Tourism and I know the long hours they work. I always ask how they are doing and explain my situation like I would to a friend or relative and work on a solution.

I have taken the FT advice of hanging up and calling again as each call center may have a slightly different way of handling situations. Remember when agents have a quota of calls they can sometimes forget how to apply different policies outside 'the box.

While no ne is perfect I mist say I am pleased with their IVR system recognizing my reservation and beung able to look it up using the flight number my last name and departure city.

A thank you always goes a long way! At the airport I do my best to have my documents and luggage ready. I feel as if you speak their language like spelling your name in the phonetic alphabet also helps.

A lot of the time passengers are disappointed because they dont do their homework They got a Basic Econ fare . I tell the booking agent to avoid it and I want a checked bag included with seat assignment.

I found an airfare r/t to TLV less than WOW Air or Norwegian with no 36 hour layovers which I add imy I.my calculations as well as a bag seat assignments hot meal beer and wine and AVOD. A lot of people miss the boat and complain.

Do I expect gourmet dining? No but a decent hot meal yes. Is it worth paying $8 for a Glenfichas Scotch yes because I saved $!$$. I set my expectations on a reasonable level. I always bring Costco Trail Mix to supplement or replace a bad meal and UA offers craft beer better than cheap wine.

All in all the customer is just as much as responsible going in as the company. I take the media stories with a grain of salt because I don' know all the facts and we dont know all the circumstances.

Traveling is an adventure and I use the plane as my transportation. Comfort and Safety is my top priority then comes the rest.
Old May 18, 18, 4:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
I am having a hard time discerning what your point is, re: United.

But welcome back to the "Friendly Skies", I guess?
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 18, 18, 9:35 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
I

Do I expect gourmet dining? No but a decent hot meal yes. Is it worth paying $8 for a Glenfichas Scotch yes because I saved $!$$. I set my expectations on a reasonable level. I always bring Costco Trail Mix to supplement or replace a bad meal and UA offers craft beer better than cheap wine.

Is Glenfichas Scotch the product of a seat-side blending of Glenfiddich and Glenfarclas? Now that would make United unique!
Old May 18, 18, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
Is Glenfichas Scotch the product of a seat-side blending of Glenfiddich and Glenfarclas? Now that would make United unique!
Count me as someone who appreciates a good blend more than a single malt!

To the OP - the truest statement you wrote is "I feel it's how you approach the agents". Even in the darkest years of UA after the merger, I never felt like I got bad customer service, and often found it to be very good. I believe (whether correct or not) that in most bad experiences, the customer is contributing to the problem.
danielonn likes this.
Old May 18, 18, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
I feel its how you approach the agents.
I have had mostly positive UA cs experiences the past few years, but 1 out of 10 UA phone agents is mean and unhelpful and it doesn't matter how you approach these.
Old May 18, 18, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I have had mostly positive UA cs experiences the past few years, but 1 out of 10 UA phone agents is mean and unhelpful and it doesn't matter how you approach these.
It matches my experience as well.

United CS got my back many times. I will always remember Stephanie from Utah. She got me out of a difficult situation in India after the local guys fumbled badly (cancelled flight and having me fly out FIVE DAYS later). I will also remember that lady that opened 4 reward seats for me when Air China changed our flights so the connection became illogical. And of course, in these cases, having an attitude of "let us talk like friends/colleagues", that works in your favor. It makes for a more pleasant experience for both parties and increases the chance that you may be helped the proper way.

But yes, unfortunately, you get from time to time people that shouldn't work in CS. They define their job more as gate keepers and less as people that - within rules, of course - should make your experience more pleasant.

And this is probably my biggest gripe against United. There are gems out there. There is also pretty good service, without being gems. But you never know. On the phone, in the air, you get sometimes the person that should be there, and these seem to be tolerated much more than at other companies, say the best in their class: the SQ, NH, LH...

Management in my view often compound the problem by lacking consistency. They announce a great change about Polaris but then slow down delivery to a crawl. Add meal options in Y International that actually mean you get 2 meals instead of 3. Dial back food in domestic F based on "customer input" after making a big fuzz about renewed food choices a few months earlier. So, somewhere, employees are left dancing between aspiring to be a great classy carrier or just one of the carriers for whom the bean counting is the top priority. That leavescustomers puzzled.

United lacks a purpose, an overriding mission in my view. It should be careful. Companies that are a bit of everything to everyone do not fare well in this economy (look at what happens at Sears).
transportprof and Kacee like this.