Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-Rev: Standby for first, what if only coach avail?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors

I am fortunate to be listed as a "friend" under a United employee's benefits account.

If I "book" a flight (which I understand is really standby/positive space available) for first class, and there is no first but there is coach, will I simply be put in coach? Or do I not go?

If the former, is there any downside (besides potential price) to just always "book standby" as first?

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
This is something your friend should be able to answer for you.
fezzington and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are you traveling with your "friend?"

Have you had a discussion with your sponsor on your standby priority?
Old May 17, 2018, 8:56 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
If only coach is available, as most domestic flights are now a day for non-revs, you would be cleared as a standby into coach then put on the upgrade list in priority order for first. If traveling with friend then you would both be listed as SA1P (assuming friend works for mainline and not express otherwise it would be SA5X). If not travelling with friend, your designation would be SA7P or X (again assuming mainline vs express carrier.) But do chrck with your buddy on how you are listed, and if standby, please try to be patiebt with the GA's as sometimes the non revs are a last minute deal towards the final 10 minutes, especially on flights that may seem oversold at the beginning.

Cheers and happy travels
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What’s with all the quotation marks?
Often1, JVPhoto and mr8 like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:04 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What’s with all the quotation marks?
I believe OP was looking at hypothetical situations when booking as a buddy/non-rev
Old May 17, 2018, 10:19 pm

Booking for the highest class possible means that you will be placed in that cabin, or any cabin below it, should the booking class not be available.

If you only list for coach, and there are no Y seats, but there are in First or Business, you won’t be cleared for the flight.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
Hard to believe an employee would give you a buddy pass and not explain how it works. As stated earlier, be patient and be prepared to spend some time in the airport as most flights I am on are 100% full.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gabdawg
Hard to believe an employee would give you a buddy pass and not explain how it works.
As someone who has given out many passes - I explain in this order: 1) Act appropriately - don't tell other passengers you are on a pass. 2) dress appropriately - business casual 3) take whatever seat given to you. 4) I'll tell you ahead of time if you have a shot or not bother - and if don't get on, head home.....

That's it.

What is more hard to believe they are asking here rather than who gave out the pass.......
Old May 18, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What is more hard to believe they are asking here rather than who gave out the pass.......
What’s with all the judgement of someone trying to best value a purchase they’re about to make? When you’re shopping for a car you’re not going to just trust the dealer of everything he says. Gotta do your research.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - You need to ask your "friend" the question. Is he a C-level or a part-time check-in agent for a UX carrier? Rather than worrying about the priority code, better to simply understand where you are in the pecking order and your "friend" can tell you that.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:06 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
What’s with all the judgement of someone trying to best value a purchase they’re about to make? When you’re shopping for a car you’re not going to just trust the dealer of everything he says. Gotta do your research.
It wouldn't be a just comparison to analogize use of an airline-sponsored travel pass benefit to a best value car purchase.

United non-rev. travel passes, like those of other major airlines, are surrounded by a host of rules available to the sponsor. Moreover, the consequences of a sponsored traveler acting outside of those rules, affects directly the sponsoring employee. Put simply, sponsoring employees are responsible for travelers they sponsor as to rule compliance. Airlines reserve the right to take action against both that could result in taking away pass privileges from the sponsor. Hence the community's "chorus" of "ask your sponsor for the answers to your questions."
Old May 18, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Because its not a purchase they are about to make (yes, there will be costs involved). If you want to parallel this with a car purchase, this is like getting a Ford board of directors employee complimentary car (vs a factory workers X or Z plan discount) going to a dealership and then asking questions of retail level customers.

And if you do research (or complain), or begin to bother employees or customers of the dealership..... at best your friend loses their vehicle and at worst you could get your executive friend fired.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by CleUnited
If only coach is available, as most domestic flights are now a day for non-revs, you would be cleared as a standby into coach then put on the upgrade list in priority order for first. If traveling with friend then you would both be listed as SA1P (assuming friend works for mainline and not express otherwise it would be SA5X). If not travelling with friend, your designation would be SA7P or X (again assuming mainline vs express carrier.) But do chrck with your buddy on how you are listed, and if standby, please try to be patiebt with the GA's as sometimes the non revs are a last minute deal towards the final 10 minutes, especially on flights that may seem oversold at the beginning.

Cheers and happy travels
This is pretty close to right, except for the order of clearing and the requirement of your friend traveling with you. It depends what type of pass you have and as was mentioned whom your sponsor works for.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
It wouldn't be a just comparison to analogize use of an airline-sponsored travel pass benefit to a best value car purchase.

United non-rev. travel passes, like those of other major airlines, are surrounded by a host of rules available to the sponsor. Moreover, the consequences of a sponsored traveler acting outside of those rules, affects directly the sponsoring employee. Put simply, sponsoring employees are responsible for travelers they sponsor as to rule compliance. Airlines reserve the right to take action against both that could result in taking away pass privileges from the sponsor. Hence the community's "chorus" of "ask your sponsor for the answers to your questions."
wow. Speaking of judgement. I was obviously joking. That said. The guys simple question didn’t mean he was doing outside of what’s allowed. Let’s say I was in his shoes and it was my mother in law offering me the ticket. Well, if she saw my questions as seeming ungrateful (Free Y isn’t good enough for me) them it would make for an awful thanksgiving with here since I could have ya know crowd sourced an answer from a somewhat anonymous forum of travel experts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.