All you EWR/London fliers (UA vs VS)

Old May 17, 18, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: '15 Global Services, 1.6m+ lifetime CO miles
All you EWR/London fliers (UA vs VS)

Need to try VS- I am a legacy UA two million miler who is chained to UA unfortunately but had the chance to fly on VS1 yesterday. What a breath of fresh air. - great product all the way around from start to finish. the UA people need to fly on VS to see how a real airline works and treats their customers. Cant wait to fly them again.
am1108 likes this.
Old May 17, 18, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Bronze
I'm also chained to UA and occasionally fly VS. My observation is that, almost without exception, the VS staff are friendlier and more professional. The VS lounges are massively better. However, if you fly in economy, you are better off in UA because of E+. Obviously PE is available on VS and not on UA. The Business Class seats are generally better on VS (with the exception of the new ones on UA which aren't yet on the EWR route) and the food and wine on VS is much better. But then VS miles are almost useless.
Old May 17, 18, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
The VS lounges are massively better.
In which way would you rate the VS lounges "massively" superior?

I happen to find the LHR departure & arrival lounges quite good.
Also, have no issues with the Polaris lounge at ORD (and soon EWR) .

Of course, comparing UA Clubs stateside changes the picture.
Old May 17, 18, 10:19 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I'm also chained to UA and occasionally fly VS. My observation is that, almost without exception, the VS staff are friendlier and more professional. The VS lounges are massively better. However, if you fly in economy, you are better off in UA because of E+. Obviously PE is available on VS and not on UA. The Business Class seats are generally better on VS (with the exception of the new ones on UA which aren't yet on the EWR route) and the food and wine on VS is much better. But then VS miles are almost useless.
i respectfully do not agree. I had the most *unprofessional* flight Iíve had in a long time when I was reaccomodated onto a VS direct LHR-SFO including the FAs completely forgetting my meal as they all hung out at the bar chatting with passengers. Plus the plane was filthy. I vastly prefer the GFL in London to the clubhouse. Maybe the clubhouse is slightly better than the regular UC club but it hasnít been updated in at least 10 years.
Old May 17, 18, 10:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
If you're in the NYC area and you're flying UA to LHR, it's because you prefer EWR, for whatever reason. If you're an EWR flyer, VS has a poor schedule (currently 1x). DL/VS have more or less conceded EWR-LHR in order to build up a competitive portfolio of JFK-LHR frequencies that can hold its own against the BA/AA behemoth.

With respect to in-flight service, VS is solid. I actually find them to be pretty inconsistent... you can score some great crews, and on other occasions, I've flown with crews that have totally mailed it in. I haven't experienced any surly VS FAs, though, for what it's worth. I don't like the A330 seat and the inflight bar is gimmicky. The LHR Clubhouse is still one of my favorite business class lounges.

But then VS miles are almost useless.
The key to your statement is "almost" useless... premium cabin awards on NH and NZ can be exceptionally good value.
Old May 17, 18, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: '15 Global Services, 1.6m+ lifetime CO miles
your comment on the FA 'mailing it " - i would say almost without exception that the UA FA's always mail it. Flew the EWR/LHR flight on UA and VS back three days later and the difference was so wide it is almost inconceivable that UA can charge what they do for that route.
The UA flight crew on the outbound were all complaining about just about everything about the flight/food/company/ etc.
The VS crew on this flight was amazing.
am1108 likes this.
Old May 17, 18, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA1K .6MM
The A330 J product is truly bad. Like, I'd rather be in a middle 777 IPTE seat bad.

Nice lights tho
Old May 17, 18, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I've tried VS's PE and can't say the overall experience was a "breath of fresh air" over UA. I've been wanting to try their Upper Class product but I am a little leery of how the seats are orientated. Not sure I want to be looking across the aircraft.