Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie going to EZE in Dec

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Newbie going to EZE in Dec

Hello,

My gf and I will be flying to EZE in Dec this year (right before Christmas). Currently, they have ECO Saver for 30K each way. While if I pay by cash for this ticket, it is listed at $2317
How do I know if I'm getting a good deal if I book this trip with my United miles? If I do my calculation base on 1.5 cents per mile, I'm getting a great deal.

I do have enough for Business Saver, but none is available at this time. Should I wait or should I just book this now while the ECO Saver still available?

FYI, i do not have any status, just the United Explorer card holder
Old May 15, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
If I were I your shoes, I’d book the saver fare now.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by lleung1980
I do have enough for Business Saver, but none is available at this time. Should I wait or should I just book this now while the ECO Saver still available?
Book the saver Y, waitlist for Business (I class), the old "plan B". They'll deduct the mileage for J, but if it doesn't clear, you'll get the miles back.
Kacee and vsevolod4 like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Alaska, etc.
Originally Posted by EWR764
Book the saver Y, waitlist for Business (I class), the old "plan B". They'll deduct the mileage for J, but if it doesn't clear, you'll get the miles back.
How can you waitlist for J on United?
Old May 15, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi
There's a board thread on it. OP should make the booking, then call as soon as it tickets and ask to "waitlist for a business class award." If the first person seems confused, or thinks it isn't possible, etc., thank them politely, hang up, and try again. Don't use the word "upgrade."

OP: The only truly important thing in valuing your miles is whether or not it's a good deal for you personally. It's possible that the cash price might come down, but considering that it's not only Christmas but also South American summer, it might not come down very far. Having said that, in your shoes, I would consider it a great use of miles.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
December/January is peak season for Buenos Aires, take the economy availability. Unless you are departing from NYC or Miami, it is unlikely the cash fare will ever drop below a $1000 roundtrip. Bring sun gear and lots of USD cash and enjoy!
Old May 15, 2018, 8:56 pm

for some reason UA's EZE prices are always high, you may get a better deal out of/or connecting in EWR than IAH. I have been searching for a good deal around Xmas since Feb, finally bought a P fare 12/24-1/8 for $2780. I could not find any IN or R space (which I needed for my kids), it's going to be impossible right before Xmas unless it's a few weeks prior and can't wait that long. If you're flexible, that P fare is really good, almost the same price as Y. BUT I had to book out of BWI - lucky for me, right after booking UA discontinued their BWI-EWR flights so I was switched to DCA which is much more convenient for me. not sure if the deal is still available since DCA/IAD flights are always more expensive. good luck!

Last edited by IAD1k; Jun 5, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Old May 15, 2018, 9:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi
Call and request it. Best if done at the time of booking.
If done more than 24 hours after booking you may be charged an award change fee.
Generally, the waitlisted class mileage is deducted and will be refunded if unsuccessful

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Old May 16, 2018, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

My flight is going thru Air Canada, I was told I cannot book the save and waitlist for Busines on non-United flight. Is that correct?
Old May 16, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
My flight is going thru Air Canada, I was told I cannot book the save and waitlist for Busines on non-United flight. Is that correct?
That nuance is covered in that other cited thread. Best to read that wiki for the full picture.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:55 pm

Do you mind me asking what awards you see for EZE. I can find a couple saver fares from SFO and LAX on the 23rd/24th, but all the returns (1st - 2nd / 3rd) are 70k standard awards. I'd love to find a 30k Saver award for the return. Even if I end up in Canada 'eh ?
Old May 16, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Correct. Waitlist is for UA metal segments only.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:29 pm

I assumed you were on United metal... that is correct, you can't waitlist at all on partner awards. The only way it works is if you have confirmed saver Y (X/XN) inventory on a UA-operated flight, and then list for saver business (I/IN) on the same flight.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

I assumed you were on United metal... that is correct, you can't waitlist at all on partner awards. The only way it works is if you have confirmed saver Y (X/XN) inventory on a UA-operated flight, and then list for saver business (I/IN) on the same flight.

I'm debating if I should switch to UA metal but the layover is like 7 plus hours at Newark

In general, what is the chance of getting move to business saver?

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Do you mind me asking what awards you see for EZE. I can find a couple saver fares from SFO and LAX on the 23rd/24th, but all the returns (1st - 2nd / 3rd) are 70k standard awards. I'd love to find a 30k Saver award for the return. Even if I end up in Canada 'eh ?
I'm leaving on Dec 7 and return on Dec 23.
For Dec 7, I can find a few flights that is on 30k saver. But not much luck on the return flight. Still 70k is not too bad consider the round trip price is at least $2k.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 16, 2018 at 8:39 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 16, 2018, 3:17 pm

In general, what is the chance of getting move to business saver?
It's impossible to say, but anecdotally I've had success with it. You're going to EZE during peak season, so availability will be tricky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.