Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR/IAD network changes announced 11 May 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Expands East Coast Schedule, Maximizing New York and Washington, D.C. Hubs]

Expands service between New York/Newark and 17 destinations and adds more mainline and larger regional jets
Announces new nonstop service between New York/Newark and Palm Springs and increases Key West service from seasonal to
year round
Adds three new destinations to Washington-Dulles hub and creates more connection opportunities

May 14, 2018

NEW YORK, May, 14, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (UAL) today announced it is expanding its schedule at its East Coast hubs in New York/Newark and Washington-Dulles. The network adjustments build on United's leading route network at New York/Newark where the airline serves more destinations than any other carrier from the New York City metro area. Additionally, the changes to its Washington-Dulles schedule will offer more customers easy access to the nation's capital and seamless connections to flights throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia and the Caribbean.

Beginning in October, United will maximize the unique strengths of each hub by adding new destinations, additional frequencies and larger two-cabin aircraft. The schedule adjustments are designed to offer more nonstop flights to destinations popular with New York area customers while reallocating largely connecting passenger flights on short-haul routes to United's hub at Washington-Dulles. United will transition service between New York/Newark and Chattanooga, Tennessee; Ithaca, New York, and Scranton, Pennsylvania to Washington-Dulles.

"We approached these schedule adjustments with our customers in mind, knowing that we wanted to create a schedule that offers customers beginning their travel in the New York City area convenient flights to many of the business and leisure destinations they frequent the most," said Ankit Gupta, United's Vice President of Domestic Network. "Since more of our customers begin their travel from New York/Newark than any other United hub city, we've created a more customer friendly schedule that removed connection times and provided convenient nonstop service to multiple U.S. destinations."

New York/Newark (EWR)

Offering customers more flights to more destinations than any other airline in the New York City region, United is increasing nonstop service between New York/Newark and 15 destinations, beginning October 4, 2018.

New service to Palm Springs and year round service to Key West

United will begin nonstop seasonal mainline service beginning December 19 through March 30, 2019, between New York/Newark and Palm Springs, California and increase regional jet service between New York/Newark and Key West, Florida from seasonal to year round effective October 4, 2018.

Washington-Dulles (IAD)

"As we set out to build this schedule for our customers, we considered Washington-Dulles' more optimal schedule offering for connecting flights and conducted an in-depth analysis of some of the short-haul flights scheduled from our Newark hub," said Gupta. "We determined that by shifting certain regional flights from Newark to Dulles, our customers will have more schedule flexibility and better options for connections on regional routes."

Print Wikipost

EWR/IAD network changes announced 11 May 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by riphamilton
what the heck no more EWR-BDL?! that’s a stunner for me (and throws a wrench into my flying). if anything, i would have expected PVD-EWR to go.
Was doing a quick look this morning - I don't see EWR-PVD loaded in for the later part of 2019. Did it get cut/moved to IAD without any announcement? Just curious as I do have a wedding to go to in RI later this year, and while the train may be a better option, I was definitely considering the flight.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Was doing a quick look this morning - I don't see EWR-PVD loaded in for the later part of 2019. Did it get cut/moved to IAD without any announcement? Just curious as I do have a wedding to go to in RI later this year, and while the train may be a better option, I was definitely considering the flight.
The train is a far superior way to get from NY to RI.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Try searching again. I found three flights per day going EWR-PVD on random dates this spring, summer, fall, and winter.

I fly this route once or twice a year. The train may be better, but I am much better versed at air travel!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:16 am

I see it on UA’s website now. For some reason, it wasn’t coming up when I searched on Google Flights.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beyondhere
It'd be interesting if Southwest took interest and added BWI-EWR again.
WN is resuming this route.

​​​​​​Personally, would love it if UA would reinstate a late night EWR-BWI and early morning BWI-EWR as those two flights would give BWI flyers more choices for getting out and back. Considering I can get from my front door to the gate at BWI in less than 30 minutes, including parking a car, having to go to IAD is terrible.

Last edited by thesun; Mar 19, 2019 at 5:03 am Reason: Make link to URL, and fixed a typo
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
EWR questions

How come there is no service from BAL and BDL to EWR. I believe they used to fly these routes.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
How come there is no service from BAL and BDL to EWR. I believe they used to fly these routes.
Becuase UA dropped service (May 2018)
There were better routes for their aircraft

BAL??? do you mean BWI?? BAL is inTurkey

see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29744098-post2.html
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
In searching for flights next week, noticed United has went to all E145s on the CVG-EWR route, at least on the days I am looking.
Used to be all 2 cabin UAX, then lately 2-cabin with a couple 50 seaters at off times.

UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
In searching for flights next week, noticed United has went to all E145s on the CVG-EWR route, at least on the days I am looking.
Used to be all 2 cabin UAX, then lately 2-cabin with a couple 50 seaters at off times.

It certainly does feel like UA is regressing back to the Smisek strategy of putting a bunch of routes on mostly via 50-seat RJs. Understandable for some markets, but hard to explain the prevalence on others.
UA_Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.