Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR/IAD network changes announced 11 May 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Expands East Coast Schedule, Maximizing New York and Washington, D.C. Hubs]

Expands service between New York/Newark and 17 destinations and adds more mainline and larger regional jets
Announces new nonstop service between New York/Newark and Palm Springs and increases Key West service from seasonal to
year round
Adds three new destinations to Washington-Dulles hub and creates more connection opportunities

May 14, 2018

NEW YORK, May, 14, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (UAL) today announced it is expanding its schedule at its East Coast hubs in New York/Newark and Washington-Dulles. The network adjustments build on United's leading route network at New York/Newark where the airline serves more destinations than any other carrier from the New York City metro area. Additionally, the changes to its Washington-Dulles schedule will offer more customers easy access to the nation's capital and seamless connections to flights throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia and the Caribbean.

Beginning in October, United will maximize the unique strengths of each hub by adding new destinations, additional frequencies and larger two-cabin aircraft. The schedule adjustments are designed to offer more nonstop flights to destinations popular with New York area customers while reallocating largely connecting passenger flights on short-haul routes to United's hub at Washington-Dulles. United will transition service between New York/Newark and Chattanooga, Tennessee; Ithaca, New York, and Scranton, Pennsylvania to Washington-Dulles.

"We approached these schedule adjustments with our customers in mind, knowing that we wanted to create a schedule that offers customers beginning their travel in the New York City area convenient flights to many of the business and leisure destinations they frequent the most," said Ankit Gupta, United's Vice President of Domestic Network. "Since more of our customers begin their travel from New York/Newark than any other United hub city, we've created a more customer friendly schedule that removed connection times and provided convenient nonstop service to multiple U.S. destinations."

New York/Newark (EWR)

Offering customers more flights to more destinations than any other airline in the New York City region, United is increasing nonstop service between New York/Newark and 15 destinations, beginning October 4, 2018.

New service to Palm Springs and year round service to Key West

United will begin nonstop seasonal mainline service beginning December 19 through March 30, 2019, between New York/Newark and Palm Springs, California and increase regional jet service between New York/Newark and Key West, Florida from seasonal to year round effective October 4, 2018.

Washington-Dulles (IAD)

"As we set out to build this schedule for our customers, we considered Washington-Dulles' more optimal schedule offering for connecting flights and conducted an in-depth analysis of some of the short-haul flights scheduled from our Newark hub," said Gupta. "We determined that by shifting certain regional flights from Newark to Dulles, our customers will have more schedule flexibility and better options for connections on regional routes."

Print Wikipost

EWR/IAD network changes announced 11 May 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
International means an airport has customs facilities, not necessarily regular commercial service to another country It's still unclear what these changes mean though...I don't see anything different loaded in the schedule yet.
It doesn't even mean that. It means that the airport owner decided to call it "international" in hopes of something, sometimes not something realistic at all. Examples abound.

LWV Lawrenceville-Vincennes International Airport in Lawrenceville, IL
ALI Alice International Airport in Alice, TX
BYH Arkansas International Airport in Blytheville AR
and many more that will hardly ever get international flights.

There are some that have "International" in name and conceivably could some day have international flights, but don't have any customs facilities at present even for general aviation, such as ACY, SRQ, MYR, and many others.

Then there is ROW, Roswell International Air Center, that allegedly does not have customs, but surely they do and it's a government coverup and they have plenty of flights from out of the country planet galaxy that the men in black don't want us to know about.

And to top the list of aspirational airport names, I submit 48U, the Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport, in Green River WI.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
IAD-EWR has more mainlines

It seems that more mainlines (4 out of 6) are used for IAD-EWR route than before (1-2 out of 6 daily). I guess that United assumes that BWI passengers will drive to IAD, instead of taking a train ride to EWR.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have the schedules corresponding to these changes been loaded yet? I notice some mainlines on EWR routes I'd never seen before, and those are before 4 October, but maybe that was not related to this.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by physioprof
There is the Cornell bus that runs from Midtown Manhattan to and from the campus in Ithaca three times per day.
Anyone with sense in their head would rather fly the route than take a godforsaken bus. I did a lot of Megabus riding when i was long-distance with my now-wife...just the worst. Especially through the depths of upstate NYS.
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I have BWI-EWR-China flights in late October. When will the new schedule come out? I will have to originate from IAD, instead, or another city near my home.
This is concerning for me. Why would they want to remove BWI-EWR? Does UA want to force people in Maryland to travel TATL through IAD only? I thought EWR has more TATL nonstop destinations. Moreover, why do they want to cut BWI-EWR in the first place?
Old May 13, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
There are some that have "International" in name and conceivably could some day have international flights, but don't have any customs facilities at present even for general aviation, such as ACY, SRQ, MYR, and many others.

SRQ has, maybe its seasonal, an AC flight.
Old May 13, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wavid
They already have them for some of the stations along the Northeast Corridor route within Hartford's catchment (New Haven - ZVE and Stamford - ZTF come to mind).
Yes, but one of the huge benefits of the ZFV airport code is that it almost always mirrors the PHL fares. IME, ZVE and ZTF price fairly arbitrarily.

It would be nice to see BWI and BDL get Amtrak codes that fit in with existing routing rules and fares from those two cities.
Old May 13, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
This is concerning for me. Why would they want to remove BWI-EWR? Does UA want to force people in Maryland to travel TATL through IAD only? I thought EWR has more TATL nonstop destinations. Moreover, why do they want to cut BWI-EWR in the first place?
In general at BWI, because they're running scared from WN. Specific to the BWI-EWR flights, maybe they think they can make more money putting Commutair planes elsewhere. That being said, UA's 4 daily flights between BWI-EWR are usually the highest priced amongst the 3 airports in WAS. But they keep forcing mostly E145s on us both at DCA and BWI to transfer at EWR. As well, UA seems to have given up trying to connect the west coast and BWI at reasonable times so that WN is eating their breakfast, lunch and dinner.

David
Old May 13, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
My guess is UA will still use Terminal A exclusively for UAX flights but move all or most of the UAX flights currently at Terminal C over to A. IIRC, all E170/175 flights are currently out of C.
I flew of out A on Friday on a E175. I was surprised, but very happy. Close to rental car return, avoid the OTG crap and easy access to the best UC at EWR.

Last edited by goodeats21; May 13, 2018 at 7:14 am
Old May 13, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dinoscool3

SRQ has, maybe its seasonal, an AC flight.
Yes, AC Rouge actually, but it preclears CBP at YYZ.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
In general at BWI, because they're running scared from WN,,,so that WN is eating their breakfast, lunch and dinner...
Sorry that WN has to eat UA's meals

I hate the inefficiencies of BWI with the bus to rental cars and Amtrak. One thing I do like about BWI is the UA staff there. They just seem a lot more seasoned and caring than many other stations.
Miggles, UA_Flyer and golfingboy like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:09 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by beyondhere
I agree, although I don't know why you included Harrisburg with Baltimore, as Harrisburg is served by MDT and an Amtrak line that goes to Philadelphia. I understand UA not serving MDT-EWR because of the Keystone Line, which is relatively fixed in pricing, currently $32 one-way from Harrisburg to Philadelphia, and then one can use ZFW from 30th Street, or continue up via Acela for New York, if it's the destination.
MDT is about the same drive to BWI as PHL. I have family who lives in York and they use BWI more often than MDT due to better connectivity and schedule options.

Your example of using the train to get from Harrisburg to EWR is a perfect example - its not simple. A lot of transferring and effort just to get to EWR.

Lets say someone based in Harrisburg wants to fly to TLV, flying BWI-EWR-TLV is most likely the most convenient way to travel to TLV. Now that option will no longer be available soon. Although there is still AC.

I understand why funneling domestic connections via EWR from BWI doesn’t make much sense (ORD covers that well except for northeast/Eastern Canada) but I am not sure why they didn’t simply reduce to 2x flights per day on E175s primarily intended for TPAC/TATL connections.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
People wouldn't have to go to IAD to connect through EWR. UA has quite a few DCA-EWR flights.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA has quite a few DCA-EWR flights.
Not the route I would want to hang my hat on if I had a tight connection...
UA_Flyer and golfingboy like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:50 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

People wouldn't have to go to IAD to connect through EWR. UA has quite a few DCA-EWR flights.
DCA is not convenient to get to from Maryland in general unless you live near a metro stop. For most in the Baltimore region IAD is a quicker drive as to get to DCA you have to drive through DC (295/695/395) and its a rough drive most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.