Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR/IAD network changes announced 11 May 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Expands East Coast Schedule, Maximizing New York and Washington, D.C. Hubs]

Expands service between New York/Newark and 17 destinations and adds more mainline and larger regional jets
Announces new nonstop service between New York/Newark and Palm Springs and increases Key West service from seasonal to
year round
Adds three new destinations to Washington-Dulles hub and creates more connection opportunities

May 14, 2018

NEW YORK, May, 14, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (UAL) today announced it is expanding its schedule at its East Coast hubs in New York/Newark and Washington-Dulles. The network adjustments build on United's leading route network at New York/Newark where the airline serves more destinations than any other carrier from the New York City metro area. Additionally, the changes to its Washington-Dulles schedule will offer more customers easy access to the nation's capital and seamless connections to flights throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia and the Caribbean.

Beginning in October, United will maximize the unique strengths of each hub by adding new destinations, additional frequencies and larger two-cabin aircraft. The schedule adjustments are designed to offer more nonstop flights to destinations popular with New York area customers while reallocating largely connecting passenger flights on short-haul routes to United's hub at Washington-Dulles. United will transition service between New York/Newark and Chattanooga, Tennessee; Ithaca, New York, and Scranton, Pennsylvania to Washington-Dulles.

"We approached these schedule adjustments with our customers in mind, knowing that we wanted to create a schedule that offers customers beginning their travel in the New York City area convenient flights to many of the business and leisure destinations they frequent the most," said Ankit Gupta, United's Vice President of Domestic Network. "Since more of our customers begin their travel from New York/Newark than any other United hub city, we've created a more customer friendly schedule that removed connection times and provided convenient nonstop service to multiple U.S. destinations."

New York/Newark (EWR)

Offering customers more flights to more destinations than any other airline in the New York City region, United is increasing nonstop service between New York/Newark and 15 destinations, beginning October 4, 2018.

New service to Palm Springs and year round service to Key West

United will begin nonstop seasonal mainline service beginning December 19 through March 30, 2019, between New York/Newark and Palm Springs, California and increase regional jet service between New York/Newark and Key West, Florida from seasonal to year round effective October 4, 2018.

Washington-Dulles (IAD)

"As we set out to build this schedule for our customers, we considered Washington-Dulles' more optimal schedule offering for connecting flights and conducted an in-depth analysis of some of the short-haul flights scheduled from our Newark hub," said Gupta. "We determined that by shifting certain regional flights from Newark to Dulles, our customers will have more schedule flexibility and better options for connections on regional routes."

Print Wikipost

EWR/IAD network changes announced 11 May 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Really upset over the loss of EWR-ITH. I fly that route all the time, and there is no alternative (except driving). At least EWR-SRQ is increasing, which I really like. EWR-PBI/MCO/FLL is nice, but I probably won't notice it because these routes already have multiple daily flights.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
(Selfishly) hoping that the long term adds to IAD will help add a 4th daily TPA flight to match MCO at some point in the future, given the increase in connections soon to be available. Right now it's 7 to EWR/3 to IAD.. I think 6 and 4 would be a mix. I've also always though it would be great if they had a ~5:30am departure to IAD to catch the morning bank and get customers into the northeast by ~9:30-10am ET (similar to flying AA via CLT or DL via MCO). Guessing the traffic isn't particularly high-yielding but I would definitely take advantage of it and I'd be able to shorten some work trips. One can hope...
Old May 11, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Soon it's Delta to LaGuardia, or a UA connection at ORD.
Nah, you can drive 90 mins to oma or 120 to mci for direct flight.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Does UA fly from ORD or IAD to BDL? TBH, if the answer is yes, then the folks flying EWR-BDL can take Amtrak and be okay...
That doesn't work very well--at least for my tastes--if I'm flying to Europe or Asia (or I suppose many other cities in the US) with a good connection through Newark. I don't want to schlep between trains and planes (with luggage) more than I have to. I also try to avoid Dulles whenever possible, which just leaves Chicago for most trips.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by adambrau
Seems like the use of mainly mainline aircraft into and out of EWR is a boost to those of us who live in the NYC area. Does this mean that UA will have less flights total?
That might reduce congestion but it would also be a gift to every other carrier operating at EWR - so, no, I don't think so. This is upgauging EWR - a sensible move given the size of the NYC market, the economics of larger aircraft, and hub network effects.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton
what the heck no more EWR-BDL?! that’s a stunner for me (and throws a wrench into my flying). if anything, i would have expected PVD-EWR to go.
The odd thing is EWR-BDL had mostly mainline, I would have thought downgrading to express would have a better solution. I was just looking at connecting to BDL for late October 2 days ago, but the connection was over 5 hours so didn't pull the trigger.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I think it is consensus that regional flying is the first to be affected when weather or ATC delays kick in to EWR.
Mostly because they impact the fewest passengers. After this change you'll see the narrowbodies as the first to be affected.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
I wonder if this will mean that OMA-EWR will be going mainline
Old May 11, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by taipeipeter
That doesn't work very well--at least for my tastes--if I'm flying to Europe or Asia (or I suppose many other cities in the US) with a good connection through Newark. I don't want to schlep between trains and planes (with luggage) more than I have to. I also try to avoid Dulles whenever possible, which just leaves Chicago for most trips.
agreed. CTDOT's "hartford line" train service starts this summer and increases frequencies to new haven, but i'd rather park at BDL for free ($4 uber from a commuter lot), clear security there and be airside at EWR within an hour. PVD is an option for me, but i believe they no longer have UA mainline service, so that's unappealing.

i don't hate the train, but the limited amount of amtrak trains that stop at EWR have made amtrak an afterthought for me. last i checked, there isn't a viable connection to CT for redeye arrivals. i don't expect the acela to stop at EWR, but if all northeast regional trains did (and were also UA codeshared at fares competitive to BDL), i would use the train more.

i prefer EWR to IAD/ORD/IAH because i fly mostly to LAX and HNL and enjoy sleeping (IAH service returns in the fall). BDL-SFO has ideal flight times for me, but it's only summer seasonal. disregarding seasonality, BDL and PHL will have identical UA destinations: SFO, IAH, ORD, DEN, IAD.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The short EWR flight cuts bring to mind UA (PMCO)'s longstanding but limited codeshare with Amtrak. I don't know about the behind the scenes arrangements, so I've always been curious why it's never expanded beyond Wilmington and New Haven after all these years. Certainly, Scranton and Ithaca aren't served by Amtrak, so that won't help, but ostensibly Baltimore, Hartford, and maybe Harrisburg as well as Albany/Schenectady/Utica/Syracuse could be codeshared to serve pax in those regions? Air-Rail connections might not be optimal or the most convenient, but at least they provide viable options for some people to consider.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Man this is amazing! I'm hoping this leads to more TATL options ex-IAD, as WAS-EWR-TATL never seems to be combinable or priced at a reasonable dollar amount. That, or maybe I can do LAX-IAD-TATL and stopover at home for a night ...

Semi-related: it always irked me that Google Flights would recommend "driving" to EWR when I set the origin airport to BWI (totally ignoring the BWI-EWR-TATL) ...
Old May 12, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
When weather or ATC forces them to cut number of flights, they cut regionals. It's the logical choice, as that affects the fewest passengers, some 50 pax per flight that is cut. By going to all mainline, when they are forced to cut, they will cut mainline, at 150+ per cut. Ouch. Can't wait to see the ripple effect.
The current situation is more ridiculous, IMHO. There is no reason UA should be flying so many RJ's through the A and C terminals when the airspace capabilities are challenged on a good day. If UA is able to identify regional flying where most of the traffic is connecting via EWR, then send it to IAD (or ORD). Every major cancels flights into all NYC airports when flow is reduced - nothing is going to solve that problem.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Wow, that tells you a lot about the dartboard UA revenue management people that say GSO, Greensboro, South Carolina, when GSO is Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem, NC.

How are they increasing service? bigger planes? more frequency? does it mean these stations lose IAD service?
lol

I think I have made this mistake myself but you're right they ought to know their airport codes!
You got there before I did. (Note my FT name) Can be annoying to North Carolinians. And glad you called the airport by its correct name "Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem Airport" and not "Piedmont Triad International(?) Airport."

I hope the UA team making changes to flights from Newark don't shift those flights to Newark, Delaware.
or Arkansas, California, Illinois, Maryland, Missouri, Ohio, Texas.....or, yes, even Newark, NY!
Old May 12, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by fezzington
If memory serves, IAD is a significantly more costly airport for landing fees than any other UAL hub. Not sure if/how that affects ticket prices, but I always thought that talks of growing it were odd.
In terms of cost per enplanement, from what I could find EWR (28.31) is a few dollars more than IAD ($23.61) on average in the data I could find (from 2015). Given United's presence at EWR though it's entirely possible their average is lower than what I could find published.

But my understanding of CPE costs is they were a combination of fixed costs regardless of the number of flights or passengers, as well as per passenger or aircraft fees. So increasing the number of passengers traveling through Dulles may ultimately reducing United's cost per enplanement there.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
AVP-IAD? Interesting, although not ideal for me.
Much preferred the AVP-EWR. Oh, well.

Have two upcoming trips that include a final segment EWR-BDL. This is still showing. Any idea when they're going to cancel this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.