United: Only 1 Route to Seoul?

Old May 12, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DA201
I have wanted a EWR-ICN flight for years. NY/NJ combined have over 250,000 Korean-Americans, and Sumsung Electronics US HQ is in Northern NJ. Always been shocked they only have one ICN flight given the huge O&D between the U.S. and Korea.
I might be widely off the mark, but apart from the Samsung personnel, how often will those Korean-Americans make trips to Korea? Even if they all went home several times a year during holidays and vacations, that doesn't necessarily justify a high-frequency year round service.

Although I'm probably making a massive generalization, if occasional Korean/Korean-American travelers are anything like the Japanese casual travelers I know, than they probably have a strong preference for Korean airlines over foreign ones--especially considering when considering the fact that home-based flag-carriers have a better reputation vs. US carriers. Even when I'm discussing plans with my family, they frequently say "why won't you just come home direct with ANA/JAL?" Thankfully, they've gotten used to my circuitous routings, but still...

In high school, most of my Korean friends/acquaintances shared Ubers/taxis to take the midnight KE flight out of JFK, and I'd bump into most of them at immigration at JFK when I fly back. Most of them were KE Morning Calm members, and (although this is an assumption based on their accounts) they all grabbed a couple of ramens at the KE lounge before flying out.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by DA201
I have wanted a EWR-ICN flight for years. NY/NJ combined have over 250,000 Korean-Americans, and Sumsung Electronics US HQ is in Northern NJ. Always been shocked they only have one ICN flight given the huge O&D between the U.S. and Korea.
There are 3 daily on JFK-ICN, 2x on KE and 1x on OZ and all on A380. That's almost 1,300 seats/day. (For comparison, NYC-TYO with 5 daily has similar seat count, but with more premium configurations).

Unless UA decides to deploy 789 out of EWR, I think DL would be first to start JFK-ICN (and even that's questionable given DL's JFK TPAC strategy).
Old May 12, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by audidudi
NO! Unless... 1) You don't have a boarding pass/copy of your next flight info to show the security personnel at the transit area, or 2) your bag(s) are not checked through to your next destination!
Thanks. It’s not too dissimilar to SIN. It sounds as if it would work for a mileage run, if you get the return boarding pass before you leave the US.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
If there is money to be made, I think UA will add frequency.

I can imagine similar questions on the AA and DL forum on SIN and HKG.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by audidudi
Incorrect! KE has been flying the B789 and B748i from ICN for a month now!
Thanks for the info I didn't know about the change! I'm going off of 3 month-ish old data. Interesting they brought the 748 back.

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
As an Airport ICN is huge with volume of close to 40M passengers movements a year. The recent expansion, opening a 2nd terminal, it's planned to grow to 60M passenger movements a year over the next decade. The Seoul area also has a population of well over 20M people and is very modern and dynamic by any measure. I've been flying into Seoul (and much of Asia) almost monthly since the early 1990's and in my opinion ICN is one of the best airports in Asia.
Actually ICN is already at 60 million. They are also going to be building a second satellite terminal, although that's 10+ years away. Also, folks who live down south like in Busan still take the train to ICN to fly out, so ICN really has a national reach.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't really disagree with any of your points, but just want to emphasize this one. The Korean carriers have basically flooded the market with capacity to ICN, and UA is electing not to compete with that. From their perspective, I'm pretty sure it's a rational decision.

I don't like the new terminal at all. I'd rather connect at NRT, HKG, TPE, or - especially - SIN. All four are better airports than ICN IMO. In fact, I find ICN (along with AMS) to be one of the most overrated airports in the world. Definitely would not make my "best" list.
You are correct they have flooded the market. However, I've flown OZ out of LAX twice (usually fly UA out of SFO) and both times the flight was packed, no empty seats. Actually every time I fly out of SFO the flight is fully booked, although I usually fly near the weekends and not midweek so I'm not sure what the load is during those times.

I don't like T2 either, it's obvious they took a lot of cost cutting measures. The other gripe I have with the airport in general is they have no priority security, although I blame national pressure due to the chaebols on that one though.

Originally Posted by JMBResona
I might be widely off the mark, but apart from the Samsung personnel, how often will those Korean-Americans make trips to Korea? Even if they all went home several times a year during holidays and vacations, that doesn't necessarily justify a high-frequency year round service.

Although I'm probably making a massive generalization, if occasional Korean/Korean-American travelers are anything like the Japanese casual travelers I know, than they probably have a strong preference for Korean airlines over foreign ones--especially considering when considering the fact that home-based flag-carriers have a better reputation vs. US carriers. Even when I'm discussing plans with my family, they frequently say "why won't you just come home direct with ANA/JAL?" Thankfully, they've gotten used to my circuitous routings, but still...
You're also forgetting that folks in Korea want to fly to places like NYC and LAX. They're very popular vacation destinations. And remember, ICN is drawing nationally so they have a draw of ~60 million people to use their airport.
Samsung has a contract with UA believe it or not for their execs.
And while Koreans may have a desire to fly national carriers, they are also looking for a good price which UA beats out both KE and OZ.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
If there is money to be made, I think UA will add frequency.

I can imagine similar questions on the AA and DL forum on SIN and HKG.
UA has the government contract/rate SFO-ICN - I wonder since they don't have it on other ICN routes that that's a main reason why they don't compete in other markets.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
If you think there's enough traffic to compete with the other airlines going to ICN, you can certainly set up your own airline and show UA how it's done ...
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by warrenw
UA has the government contract/rate SFO-ICN - I wonder since they don't have it on other ICN routes that that's a main reason why they don't compete in other markets.
Wouldn't be surprising...there's a reason why UA ended all their ME3 routes.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Wouldn't be surprising...there's a reason why UA ended all their ME3 routes.
There was and is always the "Fly American" component of these contract rates. And I don't mean AA, I just mean an American airline. The ME3 only indirectly has something to do with it. DXB was apparently whacked when JetBlue flew there, and oh yeah its a code share on Emirates. The rest of the UA destinations there have all been beat down by the code share. DOH/KWI/BAH/DXB all gone because it was easier to code share and bid the contract. The other spot check was that Delta flies to BAH - operated by KLM.

So while I think these flights are complemented by a Government rate, this code share madness to me says that it better be profitable or someone will work around it.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:18 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't like the new terminal at all. I'd rather connect at NRT, HKG, TPE, or - especially - SIN. All four are better airports than ICN IMO. In fact, I find ICN (along with AMS) to be one of the most overrated airports in the world. Definitely would not make my "best" list.
I don't disagree the new (2nd) terminal is not convenient if your transiting and need to move from one terminal to the other. The bus is not a good solution. The new Terminal, as a facility seems very nice, I've used it a couple of time even thought I fly mostly *A.

One suggestion to folks flying to/from Korea. Use the City Airport Terminal near the COEX in Seoul, it's called CALT. This allows you to use the check-in, take a non-stop bus to the airport and largely bypass the security line, you will use the Airline Crew security line, plus there is a dedicated CALT immigration line. I also have SeS (Safe Entry System) the Korean version of Global Entry. Korea has a partnership with the US so if you have Global Entry the enrollment in SeS is fairly easy. When I use both CALT and SeS, getting through ICN takes less than 10 minutes. The only thing to remember is you must check in 3 hours and 20 minutes before your departure. Given the bus ride is an hour it's reasonable.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
I don't disagree the new (2nd) terminal is not convenient if your transiting and need to move from one terminal to the other. The bus is not a good solution. The new Terminal, as a facility seems very nice, I've used it a couple of time even thought I fly mostly *A.

One suggestion to folks flying to/from Korea. Use the City Airport Terminal near the COEX in Seoul, it's called CALT. This allows you to use the check-in, take a non-stop bus to the airport and largely bypass the security line, you will use the Airline Crew security line, plus there is a dedicated CALT immigration line. I also have SeS (Safe Entry System) the Korean version of Global Entry. Korea has a partnership with the US so if you have Global Entry the enrollment in SeS is fairly easy. When I use both CALT and SeS, getting through ICN takes less than 10 minutes. The only thing to remember is you must check in 3 hours and 20 minutes before your departure. Given the bus ride is an hour it's reasonable.
+1

There are two city check-in areas, but the one for UA is near the COEX. The one near the airport train is for Asiana and KE only(?). Sadly, it's a bit out of the way for those coming from the south, and if one has carry-on luggage, I've not found a great place to drop it off to walk around the city.

Note APEC works well for this, too, and you don't even need to check in remotely. I've been gate->curbside and vice versa in under 20 minutes if I hit the shuttle train right with just APEC.. not sure that SeS gives you anything else.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by warrenw
Yeah but the connections suck. In order to make it flying ICN-US you have to have a 6 hour layover, and it's 5 on the way back. It's not fun. The price was much better back when UA had a flight on it's own metal NRT-ICN, but now a lot of times the flight is more expensive to fly through NRT...
That was the real killer - eliminating the NRT-ICN UA flight, which meant that none of the IAD/EWR/IAH/ORD/DEN flights had a UA metal connection, with the Asiana alternative not usually pricing attractively.

It's a tough route to serve from SFO, because the mid-morning SFO departure has to turn immediately in ICN in order to get pax to SFO in time to make midday flights to the east coast. If the SFO departure were later then it couldn't turn in time to connect passengers in SFO to flights to east coast.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:44 pm

Right you can use City Airport Terminal for UA, but you can also use Seoul Station for Asiana, Korean Air, Jeju Air, and like one or two others. It's worth it just to use the crew security line once at Incheon.....

Good advice for SeS, it's a huge time saver.

Originally Posted by drewguy
That was the real killer - eliminating the NRT-ICN UA flight, which meant that none of the IAD/EWR/IAH/ORD/DEN flights had a UA metal connection, with the Asiana alternative not usually pricing attractively.

It's a tough route to serve from SFO, because the mid-morning SFO departure has to turn immediately in ICN in order to get pax to SFO in time to make midday flights to the east coast. If the SFO departure were later then it couldn't turn in time to connect passengers in SFO to flights to east coast.
Yeah I definitely dislike that SFO-ICN is the first flight out of SFO (for the international UA departures) because it makes it a tight connection for a lot of connecting flights.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Once Asiana couldn't even figure out how to land a plane at SFO on a clear day sorta took out the enthusiasm for me to fly them.......
Agreed fully. I won't fly Asiana for this very reason.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Once Asiana couldn't even figure out how to land a plane at SFO on a clear day sorta took out the enthusiasm for me to fly them.......
They're no better once they land:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8351276.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.