United: Only 1 Route to Seoul?

Old May 12, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by hirohito888
AA only flies DFW-ICN 1 daily with 789. But in a capacity sense, since AA 789 has 285 seats, they have more capacity than UA.

I think the US-Korea market is pretty much locked up by OZ/KE+DL. Considering that neither NH or JL fly NRT-ICN, there's no effective way for UA/AA to connect US to Korea besides the 1 daily they have.
UA is perfectly happy to sell a ticket connecting in NRT and continuing on OZ metal, I've seen it offered loads of times and booked it a once or twice. So for the OP, if you can't connect in SFO because it's too early, then take the EWR or IAD flight to NRT and connect to OZ there. There are also loads of HND-GMP flights if you don't mind taking the train or bus across town in Tokyo.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by dvs7310
UA is perfectly happy to sell a ticket connecting in NRT and continuing on OZ metal, I've seen it offered loads of times and booked it a once or twice. So for the OP, if you can't connect in SFO because it's too early, then take the EWR or IAD flight to NRT and connect to OZ there. There are also loads of HND-GMP flights if you don't mind taking the train or bus across town in Tokyo.
Yeah but the connections suck. In order to make it flying ICN-US you have to have a 6 hour layover, and it's 5 on the way back. It's not fun. The price was much better back when UA had a flight on it's own metal NRT-ICN, but now a lot of times the flight is more expensive to fly through NRT.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
AA has only 1 route to ICN, from DFW and not ORD, so your question can also apply to AA.
Meanwhile, DL flies to ICN from SEA, DTW, and ATL. However, DL has only 1 route to HKG (from SEA), so your question can also be reworded to ask, how can DL justify having such low capacity to one of the top-10 airports in the world, while having 3 times as many flights to an airport that's only slightly bigger than Denver?
ICN handles a LOT of traffic and is the one major airport for a country of 60 million people. I would hardly say it's only slightly bigger than Denver.

Originally Posted by spin88
And much of demand from SFO is from those working for Korean companies, which have corporate accounts on - you guessed it OZ or KE.

There was a period 15+ years ago when KE and OZ both had very bad reputations, and UA or NW were the preferred carriers with better product and service. But both KE and OZ have substantially upped their game, and both provide much better product, particularly in Y, than does UA. UA can only compete on price at this point against both, and even ex-SFO is losing that war and as a result downgaging as KE and OZ add more capacity.
Samsung's corporate account is with UA. As such it's near impossible (and cost prohibitive) to fly on a flight that leaves Korea on Friday for example.

As far as KE and OZ upping their game to the west coast, yes I definitely agree. LAX alone has 5 direct flights a day (2 OZ, 2 KE, 1 SG) with 4 of those flights until 2 weeks ago being A380's. KE is now 2 frequencies a day at SFO. There is definitely a lot of demand there.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
demand.

I think you're leaving out the fact that Asiana and United are in the same alliance and Asiana has multiple flights to/from the United States.

It's similar (in my mind) to why United doesn't fly much to/from Toronto much. How can they justify this? Because Air Canada does.
Yes Asiana flies to the US but that's not a great excuse. What about Lufthansa or ANA? They both even have JV's with UA yet UA has a hub in NRT and it flies a ton to FRA and MUC from multiple US destinations. UA simply I guess doesn't see the need for multiple flights to ICN although I wish they did because I want more options...

United has no JV with Asiana (so not pushing much through traffic as with the flights to NRT) and Asiana offers much better service and much more comfortable hard product, from Multiple USA locations (JFK, LAX, SFO, SEA, ORD, HNL). KAL in turn flies to YVR, Toronto, ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, LAS, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD.

Unless one is hard wired into MP or on a corporate rate (in which case you can come to SFO for the one flight to ICN) there is simply no reason to fly UA. And I might add that UA has substantially downsized capacity to ICN. If was often a 744, now its often a 789. Meanwhile KAL has added a second daily departure, and is running service to SFO on a combo of A359s and B748s.
KE doesn't have any A350's and is running dual 77W's to SFO. But yes West coast flights have definitely increased in capacity that's for sure. Asiana's service is better but the seat is pretty hard IMO...

Originally Posted by hirohito888
AA only flies DFW-ICN 1 daily with 789. But in a capacity sense, since AA 789 has 285 seats, they have more capacity than UA.

I think the US-Korea market is pretty much locked up by OZ/KE+DL. Considering that neither NH or JL fly NRT-ICN, there's no effective way for UA/AA to connect US to Korea besides the 1 daily they have.
I wish NH would fly more to Korea. Instead all I have is GMP and that doesn't even fly to NRT...
Old May 12, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
United has no JV with Asiana (so not pushing much through traffic as with the flights to NRT) and Asiana offers much better service and much more comfortable hard product, from Multiple USA locations (JFK, LAX, SFO, SEA, ORD, HNL). KAL in turn flies to YVR, Toronto, ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, LAS, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD.
Not sure I agree on the hard product. The A380 (LAX-ICN) seat is of the modern area of seat design, with all the aisle access on the upper deck. It did not feel much different than UA 77W Polaris. But their 777 seat (not sure which version of 777 on the ICN-SEA route), I would take the UA 789 product in a heartbeat. It has no privacy and was like a board. As far as the service, it was as good as UA's, cold and indifferent, but tolerable I guess. I certainly do not long to fly OZ.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by katan
Not sure I agree on the hard product. The A380 (LAX-ICN) seat is of the modern area of seat design, with all the aisle access on the upper deck. It did not feel much different than UA 77W Polaris. But their 777 seat (not sure which version of 777 on the ICN-SEA route), I would take the UA 789 product in a heartbeat. It has no privacy and was like a board. As far as the service, it was as good as UA's, cold and indifferent, but tolerable I guess. I certainly do not long to fly OZ.
The OZ 772s all have the same product as the A380... (except in Y where the 772s have 34" pitch while the A380 is at 32–33" — and where OZ beats UA hands down for sure.)
Old May 12, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
You can also take *A to Korea via AC connections in YYZ and YVR. Prices a lot less than UA prices, too.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by warrenw
KE doesn't have any A350's and is running dual 77W's to SFO. But yes West coast flights have definitely increased in capacity that's for sure. Asiana's service is better but the seat is pretty hard IMO...
Incorrect! KE has been flying the B789 and B748i from ICN for a month now!
Old May 12, 2018, 10:40 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
AA has only 1 route to ICN, from DFW and not ORD, so your question can also apply to AA.
Meanwhile, DL flies to ICN from SEA, DTW, and ATL. However, DL has only 1 route to HKG (from SEA), so your question can also be reworded to ask, how can DL justify having such low capacity to one of the top-10 airports in the world, while having 3 times as many flights to an airport that's only slightly bigger than Denver?
As an Airport ICN is huge with volume of close to 40M passengers movements a year. The recent expansion, opening a 2nd terminal, it's planned to grow to 60M passenger movements a year over the next decade. The Seoul area also has a population of well over 20M people and is very modern and dynamic by any measure. I've been flying into Seoul (and much of Asia) almost monthly since the early 1990's and in my opinion ICN is one of the best airports in Asia.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
As an Airport ICN is huge with volume of close to 40M passengers movements a year. The recent expansion, opening a 2nd terminal, it's planned to grow to 60M passenger movements a year over the next decade. The Seoul area also has a population of well over 20M people and is very modern and dynamic by any measure. I've been flying into Seoul (and much of Asia) almost monthly since the early 1990's and in my opinion ICN is one of the best airports in Asia.
If you’re in transit in ICN, do you have to clear immigration/customs before connecting to your next flight?
Old May 12, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

If you’re in transit in ICN, do you have to clear immigration/customs before connecting to your next flight?
NO! Unless... 1) You don't have a boarding pass/copy of your next flight info to show the security personnel at the transit area, or 2) your bag(s) are not checked through to your next destination!
Old May 12, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I don't disagree that ICN is one of the major and best airports in Asia. I'm just making a point that it's not unusual for an airline to have a strong position in one city while having a very small presence in another. It's just the nature of airline networks.

My comment about "ICN is slightly bigger than DEN" is based on total passenger enplanements-deplanements in 2017. There are certainly other ways to compare cities. (Source: Airports Council Int'l):
#1 ATL 103.9 million
#8 HKG 72.7 million
#19 ICN 62.2 million
#20 DEN 61.4 million
Old May 12, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Been flying to (or from) Seoul 1 or 2x per year for 15 years and have never had a problem connecting from the early morning IAD- SFO flight. There is always a 6AM or 6:30AM flight to SFO to connect thru and I have never missed the connection. Definitely miss the upper deck on the 747 on this route. Would love to take the KE flight direct from IAD but Biz class is normally 50% higher than on UA and $10k is more than I want to pay so I have never done it. However I do think UA needs an additional direct flight from the East Coast to ICN. There is an enormous Korean population near IAD and I am surprised that it appears to date no one thinks it could support another flight.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As far as KE and OZ upping their game to the west coast, yes I definitely agree. LAX alone has 5 direct flights a day (2 OZ, 2 KE, 1 SG) with 4 of those flights until 2 weeks ago being A380's. KE is now 2 frequencies a day at SFO. There is definitely a lot of demand there.
Don't really disagree with any of your points, but just want to emphasize this one. The Korean carriers have basically flooded the market with capacity to ICN, and UA is electing not to compete with that. From their perspective, I'm pretty sure it's a rational decision.

As an Airport ICN is huge with volume of close to 40M passengers movements a year. The recent expansion, opening a 2nd terminal, it's planned to grow to 60M passenger movements a year over the next decade.
I don't like the new terminal at all. I'd rather connect at NRT, HKG, TPE, or - especially - SIN. All four are better airports than ICN IMO. In fact, I find ICN (along with AMS) to be one of the most overrated airports in the world. Definitely would not make my "best" list.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I have wanted a EWR-ICN flight for years. NY/NJ combined have over 250,000 Korean-Americans, and Sumsung Electronics US HQ is in Northern NJ. Always been shocked they only have one ICN flight given the huge O&D between the U.S. and Korea.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
You are right, I got confused. Asiana is running the A359. KE is running (this summer) a combo of 748s and 789 or 77W. UA is running a 789.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee

I don't like the new terminal at all. I'd rather connect at NRT, HKG, TPE, or - especially - SIN. All four are better airports than ICN IMO. In fact, I find ICN (along with AMS) to be one of the most overrated airports in the world. Definitely would not make my "best" list.
+1. Totally agree with your assessment on ICN (and AMS).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.