Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denied Seat on Award Flight (Partner Airline did not confirm booking)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Seat on Award Flight (Partner Airline did not confirm booking)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
LIke someone upthread, I’m a million miler, but it’s largely irrelevant.

I’d strongly suggest complaining vigorously to Chase to have them reverse your transaction. Lots of apologies here for United and their disclaimer about 24 hours to ticket, but in my experience they hide behind that for lots of other failings and defects in award bookings.

United won’t do anything, and the DOT won’t do anything, but enough complaints to Chase, as undoubtedly the largest single purchaser of Mileage Plus miles might eventually affect a change.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Scott Endress
.....So long story short, I got a call from a very nice United rep that seemed to be based in the US and was much more helpful than prior reps that I spoke with. Since the flight is nearly 5 months away, she suggested booking the direct United flight in economy for the lower point value, and waitlisting the upgrade to business. I think that is what others have suggested above? She said that I am likely to get a seat (if there are open ones on the flight, but won't find out until 3 days prior to departure) if I waitlist since the flight is 5+ months away, and since the order of priority for waitlist upgrades is based off of first come, first serve on the waitlist (unless you are a United Elite, which I think is a rare status to have?).....
Not to be a downer, but I would not have let UA off so easily.

The waitlisting for the business seat is iffy at best -- with no status, you will be at the bottom of the list. There are more UA elites than you might imagine -- about 2 million. Would not be surprised if 1/3 or more of the flight's passengers on a TATL might have status.

If it is so likely you will clear, then UA can open up a seat today.

While I agree with others that is unlikely, the spin the UA rep presented was very disingenuous.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
IMHO, unless it's Lufthansa, Air Canada or ANA, it takes a while for partner seats to get ticketed on 016 stock. It can take a while on some partner airlines for a flight to ticket when you're paying for it. With awards, it's dicier since every airline's award inventory shifts very rapidly. There may be 20 C seats open at one instance for one a flight, but only one seat is available for reward. If you're paying for the seat, a delay of 24 hours is not a concern. They're not going to sell 19 seats in that short period of time, be it 5 days or 5 months out. But, that one award seat, it could be easily snagged while the flight is being ticketed. Throwing in that the OP is looking for saver business, that is, again, even dicier, since there are a small number of those from a small pool of overall award seats.

I've had issues with award reservations never ticketing on TAP and TAM (8 years ago when they were Star Alliance). On the other hand, whether it's award seats or paid seats, on ANA, AC and LH, they ticket just as fast as on UA. A few minutes in most cases for me. A flight on Austrian (paid business) took about 8 hours once.

I think the plan of booking the non-stop MUC-ORD with a saver economy seat with a request to upgrade to saver business is the way to go.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by catocony
IMHO, unless it's Lufthansa, Air Canada or ANA, it takes a while for partner seats to get ticketed on 016 stock.
IME, it's the opposite. There are a handful of partners with consistent reports of ticketing issues. Recently, these would include LO, OS, ET, and EI. In years past, LX, TK, and SK have been problematic. Personally, I've had no problem ticketing TG, OZ, BR, LH, SQ, AV, CM, LH, and even CA.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Airlines
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

The waitlisting for the business seat is iffy at best -- with no status, you will be at the bottom of the list. There are more UA elites than you might imagine -- about 2 million. Would not be surprised if 1/3 or more of the flight's passengers on a TATL might have status.

While I agree with others that is unlikely, the spin the UA rep presented was very disingenuous.
i can still cancel the flight since i am within the 24 hour window. But I’m not sure how to get United to comp me. I’ve complained to them for nearly 3 hours on 3 separate calls and they aren’t willing to make any concessions for this glitch.

Do you have any specific suggestions as to what I should complain about that will actually get them to concede and put me in a ticketed business class seat for the lower saver fare amount?
Old May 11, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

i can still cancel the flight since i am within the 24 hour window. But I’m not sure how to get United to comp me. I’ve complained to them for nearly 3 hours on 3 separate calls and they aren’t willing to make any concessions for this glitch.

Do you have any specific suggestions as to what I should complain about that will actually get them to concede and put me in a ticketed business class seat for the lower saver fare amount?
It isn't a glitch and I don't see a scenario where they will open up a seat for you. The partner doesn't have a seat available - UA doesn't have a seat available. Your recourse is to keep looking to see if something opens up.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by elbejt2
maybe im off base but didnt united offer a reasonable alternative?
I had the same issue.

The only alternative they offered was other flights that had saver award availability.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Call up and bellyache all you want however it's not going to change anything. It's the nature of the game. Don't like it? Cancel your Chase card and accrue miles in another program.

I transferred 140k UR over to book two tickets in LOT Business about a week ago. Got the email saying it was processing, 12 hours later another email saying it hasn't ticketed (which ended up in my junk mail) and the ticket hung in a processing state for five days until UA canceled it. Called up UA and they said that LOT rejected the booking just a few minutes after I made the reservation. Nothing I can do except look for other saver award availability.

As a FYI I never saw the availability on Aeronplan, just UA. Aeroplan blocked LOT awards months back because they were showing phantom availability and reinstated once the issue has been fixed. It just seems that United is late to the fix. If you want to see what's "really" available do a search on Aeroplan.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 12, 2018 at 12:37 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 11, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Thanks for everyone's input.

So long story short, I got a call from a very nice United rep that seemed to be based in the US and was much more helpful than prior reps that I spoke with. Since the flight is nearly 5 months away, she suggested booking the direct United flight in economy for the lower point value, and waitlisting the upgrade to business. I think that is what others have suggested above? She said that I am likely to get a seat (if there are open ones on the flight, but won't find out until 3 days prior to departure) if I waitlist since the flight is 5+ months away, and since the order of priority for waitlist upgrades is based off of first come, first serve on the waitlist (unless you are a United Elite, which I think is a rare status to have?). THIS IS ONLY PARTLY TRUE. AS TO HOW LIKELY, NO ONE REALLY KNOWS, BUT I WOULD GUESS AT MORE THE A 50% CHANCE. THIS COULD CLEAR AT ANY TIME, BUT MORE LIKELY WITHIN 3 DAYS AND RIGHT UP TO DEPARTURE (MY WIFE RECENTLY CLEARED FROM PARIS TO NEWARK AFTER BOARDING). STATUS, WHICH IS NOT RARE AT ALL, COUNTS TO SOME DEGREE UNTIL 24 HOURS BEFORE THE FLIGHT WHEN IT SHOULD BE FIRST COME - FIRST SERVED.

I do not understand how this is the case, but she said with the current upgrade requirement, if I were to be granted a seat in business, that I would actually be refunded 10,000 points? I'm not sure how that is the case. Does anyone know if the upgrade point or cash requirement for waitlist upgrades can change? For example, what if, 2 days prior to the flight, I am notified that my upgrade request has been accepted but I need to pay 60,000 miles and I do not have that many miles? Right now, that is not the case.....but can it change? THAT'S SIMPLE...YOU ALREADY PAID 70,000 MILES WHICH IS THE FEE FOR TRANSATLANTIC PARTNER FLIGHTS. THE FEE FOR FLIGHTS ON UNITED METAL IS ONLY 60,000 MILES.

It seems that I have a good chance for my waitlist upgrade request to actually work-out, I looked and there are currently 22 open business class seats. My only concern is that, this is a direct flight from Munich to Chicago right at the tail end of Oktoberfest, so it will likely be a crowded flight.....but with it being on a Tuesday, that probably helps my cause. THE NUMBER OF OPEN BUSINESS SEATS NOW MEANS VERY LITTLE. THEY'RE OFTEN SOLD IN THE LAST WEEK AND DAYS BEFORE THE FLIGHT, OR GIVEN TO HIGHER STATUS FLYERS WHO ARE ON A MILEAGE UPGRADE LIST AFTER PAYING FOR A REVENUE ECONOMY SEAT (R VS I)
ALL IN ALL, WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS PROBABLY THE BEST STRATEGY UNLESS UP WANT TO TRY AND GET CHASE TO TRANSFER MILES BACK (UNLIKELY). AS I AND OTHERS HAVE INDICATED, YOU CAN READ ALL ABOUT THIS STRATEGY ON THIS THREAD. Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

OR IN ARTICLES LIKE THIS....https://millionmilesecrets.com/2017/...ss-award-seat/ AND https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...ed-thing-ever/
Old May 11, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hughw
Status, which is not rare at all, counts to some degree until 24 hours before the flight when it should be first come - first served.
Status counts within 24 hours as well.

Also, prior to departure, it's possible that upgrade requests for paid passengers can clear prior to waitlisted business awards. That's because upgrades clear into the PN or R inventory bucket, whereas waitlisted business awards clear into IN or I, and it's entirely possible to see inventory levels of PN > 0 (or PN > 0 and R > 0) while IN = 0 and I = 0 -- the upgrade classes are considered "higher" fare classes by UA.

On the day of departure, there are mixed reports as to whether passengers with no status on waitlisted business awards will clear ahead of or behind passengers waitlisted for upgrades.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:29 pm

I do not understand how this is the case, but she said with the current upgrade requirement, if I were to be granted a seat in business, that I would actually be refunded 10,000 points? I'm not sure how that is the case.
You are not being wait listed for the LOT flights you're being wait listed for the direct ORD - MUC flight on United Airlines. Instead of going ORD - BUD - MUC as you originally booked, it would be ORD - MUC direct on a United Airlines airplane.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

I was under the impression that the OP didn't really have much 'power' on his side, since the reservation was not ticketed, but 'pending'. If listening to UA and waitlisting for I class was 'letting UA off easy' may I ask what you would have done in the situation?
Old May 11, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro

If I were you I'd try to get them to put you in E+ (if you aren't already). Since it's a daytime flight, catching an 11:40 am flight and spending 9.5 hrs in (non-77W/787) E+ is not obviously much worse than catching a 7:15 am flight and spending 1.5 hrs in E-, 2.5 hrs in airport, and 10.5 hours in J. In the best case scenario the J waitlist clears and you get a shorter itinerary using fewer miles than you had originally expected.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:15 pm

I see business saver award availability MUC-ORD for pretty much any date I've been searching between now and many months ahead (60K on UA, 70K on various *A partners). There are always at least a few options, so something should ticket. Out of curiosity - what dates are you looking at?
Old May 11, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It isn't a glitch and I don't see a scenario where they will open up a seat for you. The partner doesn't have a seat available - UA doesn't have a seat available. Your recourse is to keep looking to see if something opens up.
then it should not be displayed on booking site (disclaimer or not).. or miles should not be required at the time of request..
telling ppl to buy their fake currency and a day later letting them know that said currency can not be used is a rather questionable practice imho...
Old May 11, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
IMO, the problem with LO inventory isn't a batching issue. I've tried to redeem on LO multiple times. I've booked the flight, and gotten the 24h 'rejection' notice multiple times. In each case, an awards search continues to show LO availability on the flight. If it's a batching/timing issue, then LO is advertising then withdrawing the seat multiple times a day over the course of more than a week. Methinks something else has gone wrong between UA and LO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.