Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Old May 11, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yet....
Old May 11, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Halo117
What a joke. Was on UA 1981...no nuts...lunch flight...only cheese platter ot pasta salad offered...several folks ordered from economy bistro....food in Y is now better
I was on that flight yesterday as well (Dreamliner from LAX to IAH). The FAs seemed embarrassed to even tell us what the "meal" choices were.

I kind of wonder if the tomato juice move was just misdirection--they had no intention of removing tomato juice long term, let the flying public get all up in arms about it, issue a press release about how it's back because "they value customer feedback", and meanwhile the REAL cuts go by with little angst or outcry.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:40 am

Removing a sugar-free option in 2018 is insane
Old May 11, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
FA announced on MSN DEN today that a company memo just announced return of tomato juice after customer push back....
Old May 11, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
FA announced on MSN DEN today that a company memo just announced return of tomato juice after customer push back....
Well I can tell you I was one of those folks. On Monday in the survey where I normally rate them very high I dinged them on the tomato juice issue. I also commented on the lack of savoury vs sweet items on morning flights. I declined the muffin on both of my morning flights. Would it kill them to make a banana or cheese available on morning flights? Although I did not mean a cheese plate should replace a meal, although there are days I would be happy to have that as my meal vs other options.
Old May 11, 2018, 3:11 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
i just read it on iPhone stock app under the UAL tab. Bloomberg picked it up.
Old May 11, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by boss315
Every time I read something like this, it just reminds me of and reinforces why I left UA after 34 years as a top elite....AA far from perfect but not doing skin flintish things like this!
Because Kirby is no longer at AA, but UA is having him😂
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by villox

Where do you see that? It wasn’t avail on NRT-EWR on Sunday. Did they add it back?
We’ll soon be told that it is going to take 2-3 months to add it back ...
Old May 11, 2018, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by greenpau

We’ll soon be told that it is going to take 2-3 months to add it back ...
It took 9 months for Illy to intro.

That UA is making PR hay out of reversing a stupid decision - what hutzpah
Old May 11, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Is this the last lesson UA learns the hard way?
No chance.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
my name is UK Stages and i am a sprite zero drinker.

i found out about the removal a couple of days ago on a flight from HKG to EWR, so there goes that theory about it being available on longer flights. as others have mentioned, it's really about finding a no calorie caffeine-free beverage. i don't drink coffee, and i limit myself to one or two cans of diet coke a day. if i'm on a 16 hour flight, or even if i'm on a five hour afternoon flight, i really don't want to drink caffeine. there are very few caffeine-free options onboard, other than water or sparkling water. nothing wrong with those, of course, but sometimes you want a little somethin' somethin'.

for me, that was sprite zero.

as for who's drinking it... apparently, quite a few. i've been on a number of domestic and international flights on which they ran out in business or first and the FA ran back to coach to snag a few for me. and i've seen them run out in coach, too. sure, that's probably about loading only a small quantity on the flight, but clearly some are drinking it. and enjoying it. as for FA or management's perception of how much they serve, well that's directly related to how much they have on board, isn't it? you can't serve it or suggest it if you don't have it. (or if there is one can hidden in the back of the drawer where neither the FA or the passenger can see it.)

as for whether or not, it's coming back... well, it was only a year or two ago that sprite zero disappeared for the first time... only to be brought back.

as for why they might need diet coke and coke zero... well, they are actually two very different tastes. i don't care much for coke zero myself, but people seem to like it. i will say this: i have had FAs and waitstaff in restaurants try to serve me coke zero insisting that there is no caffeine in it. (there is... it's the "zero" that makes people think otherwise. other beverages use the "zero" to signify an absence of everything, including caffeine.) and so it's possible that somebody at united thinks they ARE providing a caffeine free beverage when they serve coke zero. just a thought.
cawhite and wrp96 like this.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The other thing to consider here - it's a can of soda. It's not a cucumber that will expire in a week. If the cans are not used on flight 1, they can go to flight 2, then 3 etc until the can is used - and that could be months without the can losing any of its wonderful chemical laced quality. To put the blame on demand is just nonsense - it's not difficult to know how many cans of Diet Sprite, Diet Coke, regular Coke, tomato juice, soda water, etc etc are used per a given time period - then just order enough to cover the known demand instead of saying "it's not that popular so we're getting rid of it". It's not like they got rid of Diet Sprite to make room for something more interesting like Diet Root Beer or Diet Dr Pepper or Diet 7-Up - no - they got rid of it because Kirby is too cheap and lazy to order the correct amount to accommodate known demand. If they want to sub Diet Sprite for something else that is equally or more interesting, then sure, I'm all ears - but we all know that's not what was happening here.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: United 1K, Southwest Companion, Marriott Platinum Premier, National Executive
I am an avid Sprite Zero fan, especially on INTL flights where finding no calorie/no caffeine options can be challenging. I also fly WN and they just did the same in the last few months by removing Sprite Zero from their lineup
cawhite likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The other thing to consider here - it's a can of soda. It's not a cucumber that will expire in a week. If the cans are not used on flight 1, they can go to flight 2, then 3 etc until the can is used - and that could be months without the can losing any of its wonderful chemical laced quality. To put the blame on demand is just nonsense - it's not difficult to know how many cans of Diet Sprite, Diet Coke, regular Coke, tomato juice, soda water, etc etc are used per a given time period - then just order enough to cover the known demand instead of saying "it's not that popular so we're getting rid of it". It's not like they got rid of Diet Sprite to make room for something more interesting like Diet Root Beer or Diet Dr Pepper or Diet 7-Up - no - they got rid of it because Kirby is too cheap and lazy to order the correct amount to accommodate known demand. If they want to sub Diet Sprite for something else that is equally or more interesting, then sure, I'm all ears - but we all know that's not what was happening here.
You are ignoring the fact that while there’s no restriction on how long soda can be kept in inventory, there’s a finite amount of space in each cart. If a well-stocked beverage like Diet Coke or ginger ale is constantly running out in flight, a solution is to change the inventory mix, potentially removing another drink altogether, to make more space for the popular drink.

I think it is laughable that you think Kirby had anything to do with this. I doubt the C-suite was aware: if they were, people deserve to be fired for wasting their time with trivial issues.
rmadisonwi and vkng like this.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by fly18725
You are ignoring the fact that while there’s no restriction on how long soda can be kept in inventory, there’s a finite amount of space in each cart. If a well-stocked beverage like Diet Coke or ginger ale is constantly running out in flight, a solution is to change the inventory mix, potentially removing another drink altogether, to make more space for the popular drink.

I think it is laughable that you think Kirby had anything to do with this. I doubt the C-suite was aware: if they were, people deserve to be fired for wasting their time with trivial issues.
Not true - take a look at the bottom of your can next time you don't sit in J and ask for an unopened can: there's an expiration date.

Whether or not Kirby personally had anything to do with it, he and Oscar are ultimately responsible for this and other tone deaf changes. Managing solely by spreadsheet with an extensive consumer facing corporation is stupid, tone deaf and dumb. United has the opportunity to do some effective marketing and customer engagement every time it makes a decision that directly affects the passengers. And consistently, it steps on its own feet and falls on its face.

Is this forum and social media the only way that UA management can understand how idiotic and tone deaf their policies and decisions are? It ought not to be. But apparently these methods are the only way they hear that they've stumbled once more.

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.