Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Old May 9, 2018, 6:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
Has the termination of Tito's already started? Should I expect a different vodka on board today?
it should still be Tito’s for a bit longer.

Originally Posted by avi8tir
Now, this has gotten serious. Just boarded UA21 and PDB is limited to OJ, water and “champagne”

pursor said its a new change.

I know this happens randomly but surely they havent removed the liquor options as PDB on international flights?!?!?!

They have. There is no liquor drawer available to FAs internationally for PDBs if the FAs want to stay legal and not open the non-bonded carts on the ground.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by fezzington

it should still be Tito’s for a bit longer.

They have. There is no liquor drawer available to FAs internationally for PDBs if the FAs want to stay legal and not open the non-bonded carts on the ground.
That's not entirely correct. Polaris2.0 they adjusted PDB to proactively offer water., OJ or sparkling wine to help alleviate the boarding process/pre-flight work for FA's. That said, you are able to request a PDB of choice and I did among others on my recent flight a few days ago. This change occurred on May 1. I don't see how at all this alleviates work for the FA and I would imagine creates more waste as now they're spending time filling glasses of OJ/sparkling wine and water and still going back to the galley if a passenger asks for something else.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SkiPremier
That's not entirely correct. Polaris2.0 they adjusted PDB to proactively offer water., OJ or sparkling wine to help alleviate the boarding process/pre-flight work for FA's. That said, you are able to request a PDB of choice and I did among others on my recent flight a few days ago. This change occurred on May 1. I don't see how at all this alleviates work for the FA and I would imagine creates more waste as now they're spending time filling glasses of OJ/sparkling wine and water and still going back to the galley if a passenger asks for something else.
fezzington is usually a source of spot-on accurate info. Just sayin...
Old May 9, 2018, 9:15 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mythx88
just found out from my flight attendant at PDX that as of the 1st of the month UA has discontinued Tomato juice and Sprite Zero (and maybe some other choices)?

thats terrible...
Confirmed by goalie-dad on UA1176 (ORD-SFO) yesterday (May 8) as he was shutout when asking for first a tomato juice and then a Sprite Zero but on UA/UX4488 PBI-ORD yesterday (May 8), he scored on both
Old May 9, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That's not entirely correct. Polaris2.0 they adjusted PDB to proactively offer water., OJ or sparkling wine to help alleviate the boarding process/pre-flight work for FA's. That said, you are able to request a PDB of choice and I did among others on my recent flight a few days ago.
I did seem to recall this is what the press release claimed..
Old May 9, 2018, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BF263533
The responsible individual should be terminated.
Almost all of us have been pushing for this since the idiot in question was hired
Old May 9, 2018, 11:14 am

You're right, that's the new procedure in theory.

However, in reality, catering has not put any ground liquor onboard. It used to be housed in along with the mini champagne and beer. The liquor and beer have disappeared from this atlas carrier and have been replaced by more mini champagne bottles to accommodate the new procedure. The liquor and beer stock is now only found in the half sized drink carts that are going out into the aisle, which are not supposed to be opened until in flight. Some FAs may be willing to open those carts on the ground to alleviate the issue, but others are definitely not -- I believe liability for failure to follow the correct procedure falls on the individual. I've put in a question about it to the tower, but I haven't heard back yet.

The feedback I've gotten from crews is that it does help having the suggestion of the three, and there are few orders for anything else. Waste so far has been minimal.
goodeats21 and SkiPremier like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You're right, that's the new procedure in theory.

However, in reality, catering has not put any ground liquor onboard. It used to be housed in along with the mini champagne and beer. The liquor and beer have disappeared from this atlas carrier and have been replaced by more mini champagne bottles to accommodate the new procedure. The liquor and beer stock is now only found in the half sized drink carts that are going out into the aisle, which are not supposed to be opened until in flight. Some FAs may be willing to open those carts on the ground to alleviate the issue, but others are definitely not -- I believe liability for failure to follow the correct procedure falls on the individual. I've put in a question about it to the tower, but I haven't heard back yet.
Thank you for the detailed feedback! Sounds like a muck-up somewhere between the executive decision making and the actual loading of carts.
SkiPremier likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:34 pm

I don't know that I've ever heard someone order Sprite Zero, but tomato juice is a frequent request. I don't drink it at home very often, but it is my beverage of choice in the air. Bloody Mary Mix is nasty stuff and not at all the same.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:06 pm

Internal memo:
"Due to low customer demand, we have removed tomato juice and Sprite Zero from our non-alcoholic complimentary beverage offering. We continually make adjustments to our beverage offering based on customer demand and preference."
Old May 9, 2018, 11:55 pm

"Due to low customer demand, we have removed tomato juice and Sprite Zero from our non-alcoholic complimentary beverage offering. We continually make adjustments to our beverage offering based on customer demand and preference."
Real simple - which US airline (any of them) has eliminated tomato juice from their offerings? Start with Allegiant and move up. Is there a single one?
Old May 10, 2018, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Hammer0425
Real simple - which US airline (any of them) has eliminated tomato juice from their offerings? Start with Allegiant and move up. Is there a single one?
Why is that question real simple?

There’s no compelling COST reason to remove a soft drink, eliminating the most popular attack line. Maybe it’s possible that tomato was the least consumed juice and United is making room in the cart for more popular items?

If will actually pick an airline based on the complimentary juice selection, I think the juice companies would already be in the transportation business.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:29 pm

Internal memo:

I really find that statement hard to believe when it comes to the Tomato juice. I see it ordered quite regularly.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA GS
Tomato juice is back: https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginni...e-12904623.php
Old May 10, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
What a joke. Was on UA 1981...no nuts...lunch flight...only cheese platter ot pasta salad offered...several folks ordered from economy bistro....food in Y is now better

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.