Crazy new 777 boarding process at SFO

Old May 4, 18, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Crazy new 777 boarding process at SFO

Both doors were in use but sort of handwritten signs sent all the right hand seats down the front door and the left side down the second door. This is instead of business in front and coach through the second door. Half the business folk ignored it and filled up the bins while those of us who followed the signs were stuck on the second ramp for 20 minutes. Chaos ensued.

It didn’t help that although the bird had been on the ground for three hours the cleaners were still working and things like headphones are missing. Great job all around.
Old May 5, 18, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
So they started boarding while the cleaners were still in the cabins? Wow!
Old May 5, 18, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Both doors were in use but sort of handwritten signs sent all the right hand seats down the front door and the left side down the second door. This is instead of business in front and coach through the second door. Half the business folk ignored it and filled up the bins while those of us who followed the signs were stuck on the second ramp for 20 minutes. Chaos ensued....
I’ve seen this before, especially on the Hawaii 777s. Speeds up boarding as about half use front door (those on starboard side) and other half use second door those with seats on port side. Makes sense if there’s only 28 passengers using front and 300 using second. The procedure worked fine the couple of times I experienced it.
Old May 5, 18, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post

Iíve seen this before, especially on the Hawaii 777s. Speeds up boarding as about half use front door (those on starboard side) and other half use second door those with seats on port side. Makes sense if thereís only 28 passengers using front and 300 using second. The procedure worked fine the couple of times I experienced it.
but the unfortunate J pax on the left side are stuck in and endless queue of coach pax unless they ignore the sign.
Old May 5, 18, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post

Iíve seen this before, especially on the Hawaii 777s. Speeds up boarding as about half use front door (those on starboard side) and other half use second door those with seats on port side. Makes sense if thereís only 28 passengers using front and 300 using second. The procedure worked fine the couple of times I experienced it.
Does it speed up boarding on International B777s, when 1/2 the plane troops through the business cabin to reach coach, and are held up by the business pax putting their luggage in the overhead bins?
Old May 5, 18, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
Does it speed up boarding on International B777s, when 1/2 the plane troops through the business cabin to reach coach, and are held up by the business pax putting their luggage in the overhead bins?
and the half that do all clog up the same aisle. I donít get why front rows through front door and back rows through the second is suddenly not working. Today we began boarding at the normal time, so speed wasnít the issue.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 5, 18, 2:14 am

I experienced this last week in DEN, I was in an A seat so the sign was directing me to the 2L door, I was boarding in group 2 and then there was a delay with a family of six in front of me, one the GAs thought it would be a good idea to start boarding group 3 through door 1L - thankfully the flight was not full but it certainly seemed like an ad-hoc boarding process.
Old May 5, 18, 3:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Meanwhile, Asian carriers can board a 380 in 15 minutes.
Old May 5, 18, 4:53 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Well I Guess it gets to do with no free Chek in luggage, so people will try to bring the luggage into tha cabin instead of paying $25.

i was on B767 from ORD to IAH and I boarded the aircraft last. I barely can find space for my backpack in the overhead above me as it fills with cabin size luggage
muji likes this.
Old May 5, 18, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
Experienced this recently on a Hawaii configured 777 LAX-DEN. Ugh. So much for a calm boarding in F.
Old May 5, 18, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Meanwhile, Asian carriers can board a 380 in 15 minutes.
Lufty can, too. That's all about the passengers, not the airline.
Old May 5, 18, 9:55 am

Programs: UA1K .6MM
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Lufty can, too. That's all about the passengers, not the airline.
I fly Lufthansa all the time. This isnít true.

LH boarding is nothing short of a zoo. Waiting in a freezing cold jetway for 20 minutes in Munich isnít fun.
Old May 5, 18, 10:07 am

Programs: United GS, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador
I was shocked flying Qantas this week in Australia, boarded an A330 and left the gate in ~25 mins... then get to Sydney to head to IAH on UA and it was a train wreck
Old May 5, 18, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig View Post

but the unfortunate J pax on the left side are stuck in and endless queue of coach pax unless they ignore the sign.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. When I've seen the starboard non-BG1 coach passengers routed thru F, BG1 has already boarded. This process does impact F passengers boarding late (as it does F passengers boarding late on a single aisle a/c). I don't think they do this on Polaris-marketed wide-body flights. United doesn't necessarily treat the sanctity of F cabin during boarding on wide-body domestic flights the same as on Polaris flights. Coach passengers pass thru the F cabin on 737 fights. Maybe some are expecting a domestic wide-body to have a sanctified F cabin?
Old May 5, 18, 10:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CMHBIZTraveler View Post
I was shocked flying Qantas this week in Australia, boarded an A330 and left the gate in ~25 mins... then get to Sydney to head to IAH on UA and it was a train wreck
The train wreck was the deboard from the A330 or boarding your UA flight?

David

Search this Thread
Search Engine: