Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy new 777 boarding process at SFO

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
The boarding of my UA flight.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DELee
The train wreck was the deboard from the A330 or boarding your UA flight?

David
try American. Literally a scrum. I don’t mind the boarding group lines on UA and I agree it’s all about the passengers.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA
Saw the same hand written note SFO-HNL. LAX had a "real" placard, so did EWR

Originally Posted by Kacee
Meanwhile, Asian carriers can board a 380 in 15 minutes.
Apples to oranges, A380 has 4 aisles to help board, OZ has about 490 seats, EK about 480, equates to about 123 per aisle, which is just slightly more than a 737-700. I know the top half an A380 seats less than the bottom and the A380 also has wider aisles than the 10 abreast 777 but the point is still valid.

So yes maybe Asian carriers can board an A380 in 15 minutes through an upper and lower entrance + 2 aisles on each deck but UA can board a 4 737-700s simultaneously 15 minutes.

UA has 364 on the HD, 267 on the 2 class intl going through 2 aisles, # of doors doesn't matter.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:40 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
When I board a 77 at B16/b17 at ORD, that’s how o board as well, with the exception of boarding group 1, I let use either door as the volumes are less and the bins are wide open so there are very few customer/customer interactions to slow things down. It shaves about 10 min off of the boarding time if communicated well. It eliminates cross over in the 2nd galley and people don’t have to crawl over as many seats by walking down the wrong aisle
Old May 5, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
When I board a 77 at B16/b17 at ORD, that’s how o board as well, with the exception of boarding group 1, I let use either door as the volumes are less and the bins are wide open so there are very few customer/customer interactions to slow things down. It shaves about 10 min off of the boarding time if communicated well. It eliminates cross over in the 2nd galley and people don’t have to crawl over as many seats by walking down the wrong aisle
That's very interesting that it can shave 10m. How do you communicate the door/aisle concept to groups 2-5? By verbal announcement?
Old May 5, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
It completely makes sense to me.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:54 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by fumje
That's very interesting that it can shave 10m. How do you communicate the door/aisle concept to groups 2-5? By verbal announcement?
verbal announcements repeated every minute. It also (by shaving the time) allows the flight attendant at door 2 (which we close 1st) to assist with the PDB service in F/C earlier
Old May 5, 2018, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Lufty can, too. That's all about the passengers, not the airline.
While I would agree that Americans generally do poorly at clearing the aisle, UA's baggage policies and aircraft configurations play a significant role as well.

Originally Posted by tuolumne
LH boarding is nothing short of a zoo.
That's been my experience. At least UA tries to organize the process.

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
UA can board a 4 737-700s simultaneously 15 minutes.
There's no way UA boards a full 737 in 15 minutes. No. Way,.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. When I've seen the starboard non-BG1 coach passengers routed thru F, BG1 has already boarded. This process does impact F passengers boarding late (as it does F passengers boarding late on a single aisle a/c). I don't think they do this on Polaris-marketed wide-body flights. United doesn't necessarily treat the sanctity of F cabin during boarding on wide-body domestic flights the same as on Polaris flights. Coach passengers pass thru the F cabin on 737 fights. Maybe some are expecting a domestic wide-body to have a sanctified F cabin?
I think the problem last night at SFO was that the signs were already out when group 1 boarded which may also explain why the FA at the second door didn’t seem to care that J pax were queing in the ramp. She thought we’d boarded through door 1. We also had the same instruction upon arrival, but the J pax Judy all deboarded through the front.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:07 pm

It’s like when there are (2) left turn lanes, the far left should turn into the left lane, while the right one is supposed to turn into the next lane. When one “crosses over” breaks are slammed and traffic stops. But you’re right, sineage and announcements are critical, but with different aircraft type using the same gates, one set of signs can’t be for single aisle and also for dual bridge flights. We don’t have (at least where I work) another set of signs..well, we do, but they say “Lufthansa”.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
It’s like when there are (2) left turn lanes, the far left should turn into the left lane, while the right one is supposed to turn into the next lane. When one “crosses over” breaks are slammed and traffic stops. But you’re right, sineage and announcements are critical, but with different aircraft type using the same gates, one set of signs can’t be for single aisle and also for dual bridge flights. We don’t have (at least where I work) another set of signs..well, we do, but they say “Lufthansa”.
One set of signs? LOL. This is United. They were amateurish and put up with scotch tape.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:35 pm

What is discribed is what ANA, and JAL use to board their domestic flights where they have two bridges. The system works great especially with 4 automated ticket scanners.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
There's no way UA boards a full 737 in 15 minutes. No. Way,.
Way. Been on different 737-700's where we were done boarding within 15. We then sat until the door closed but were done boarding PDQ.

David
Old May 5, 2018, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DELee
Way. Been on different 737-700's where we were done boarding within 15. We then sat until the door closed but were done boarding PDQ.
Not if it's full.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Baggage fee. Here is your explanation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.