Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Hawaiian Volcanic Activity (May 4, 2018 - extended June 7, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Hilo, HI (ITO)
  • Kailua-Kona, HI (KOA)
Rebook by May 27, 2018.

Waiver: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code: 1+

David

Last edited by DELee; May 13, 2018 at 11:54 pm Reason: update to waiver
Old May 4, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
United certainly is being generous nowadays with waivers. Volcanic activity is (and will be confined) to the East rift zone of Kilauea and doesn’t really affect much other than sparsely-populated area.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United certainly is being generous nowadays with waivers. Volcanic activity is (and will be confined) to the East rift zone of Kilauea and doesn’t really affect much other than sparsely-populated area.
I’m scheduled to go to KOA next week on vacay and I would be glad if AA followed suit, the earlier I can get plans readjusted the better, especially with the hotel cancellation policies... a 6.9 earthquake today after a 5.5 one earlier in the day? No thanks... good move on UA, hope others follow
Old May 4, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM

Agreed. However, the concern may be the "vog" and ash as opposed to any real on the ground issues.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Agreed. However, the concern may be the "vog" and ash as opposed to any real on the ground issues.
Ash isn’t really a concern with these types of eruptions and we’ve had vog pretty continuously with the Pu’u O’o- sourced fountains/flows/water entry. The eruptions (pretty much continuous since ‘83) have not really affected flights.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: Platinum
Any damage at ITO or KOA from the earthquake?
Old May 9, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: 1MM UA
The National Park was closed for two days. My daughter and her husband were just there just to see the Park, but luckily came back just before
the eruption.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frankmu
Any damage at ITO or KOA from the earthquake?
No. Nor to the main tourist areas. The activity is confined to a small rural area on Kilauea's East Rift zone. The only real effect on the tourist areas will be vog, which the trades normally disperse away from the Islands. Unfortunately, the winds are supposed to die down this weekend and thru part of next week so a disagreeable haze might linger. Vog at the airports are no problem - been flying in and out of it on occasions since '83.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
There are actually a number of vacation rental homes in the impacted zone area. I prefer the south east side of the island as you get great thermal pools and many less tourists. It is also the side I prefer to approach the lava (well not when it is flowing). South of Hilo is one of the best kept secrets of the big Island IMO, but I would not choose to live there as it is a lava flow zone and flood zone however the number of properties for sale just significantly increased. They were/are bargains for a reason and insurance is difficult/impossible to obtain on them.

The west side, Kona and Waikoloa, is drier and has greater easier access beaches.

Agree, very generous of United to provide the travel waiver for KOA.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
FYI - Waiver now extended through May 20, 2018 with rebooking through May 27, 2018.

David
Old May 14, 2018, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
FYI - Waiver now extended through May 20, 2018 with rebooking through May 27, 2018.

David
I keep looking to see if R is any easier, hopefully in combination with a UA match of Alaska’s dirt-cheap M-Th fares. UA isn’t budging - yet.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
There is no damage to ITO or KOA but there is an ongoing concern with ash fall.

USGS is concerned there will be an explosive steam event at Kilauea caldera, which is separate from the erupting fissures well east. As it did in 1924, the explosive event could launch ash 20,000 up and depending on winds, could bring ash to either airport....although ITO is the more likely of the two.

This news article sums up the aviation hazard:
http://www.weatherboy.com/aviation-impacted-expected-explosion-hawaii/
Old May 14, 2018, 1:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
USGS is concerned there will be an explosive steam event at Kilauea caldera, which is separate from the erupting fissures well east. As it did in 1924, the explosive event could launch ash 20,000 up and depending on winds, could bring ash to either airport....although ITO is the more likely of the two.
Discussion of volcanic ash always reminds me of KL867
Old May 15, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
As an update, there is a decent ashfall underway now. It is ashing down to South Point and the VAAC forecast does bring it over to South Kona, but it should still remain south of KOA airport.

Mainland flights come up and around the northern side of the island, so that shouldn't impact their flight plan coming in/out of KOA. With winds today/tomorrow, no chance of ash at ITO.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
As an update, there is a decent ashfall underway now. It is ashing down to South Point and the VAAC forecast does bring it over to South Kona, but it should still remain south of KOA airport.

Mainland flights come up and around the northern side of the island, so that shouldn't impact their flight plan coming in/out of KOA. With winds today/tomorrow, no chance of ash at ITO.
Perused a couple of yesterday’s Big Island-bound flights and they still look pretty full. Doesn’t look like a lot of people are taking UA up on the waiver. My guess is the condos aren’t providing the same kind of opt-outs that UA is being generous with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.