Search

Booze choices provided by United

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Booze choices provided by United

Started new thread because the topic of United-provided booze (beer/wine/cocktails/brands/bubbly) on planes and lounges gets distributed across multiple threads.

Moscow Mules are gone from planes . Replaced by a craft Old Fashioned. Shiner Bock and Voodoo Ranger out, replaced by New Belgium Citradelic Tangerine IPA (which I liked) and Lagunitas Sumpin' Special (pale) Ale (liked less so,,,)
Old May 4, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Started new thread because the topic of United-provided booze (beer/wine/cocktails/brands/bubbly) on planes and lounges gets distributed across multiple threads.

Moscow Mules are gone from planes . Replaced by a craft Old Fashioned. Shiner Bock and Voodoo Ranger out, replaced by New Belgium Citradelic Tangerine IPA (which I liked) and Lagunitas Sumpin' Special (pale) Ale (liked less so,,,)
Agree on all counts.

There may be a week or two before all the beers are updated, though. Yesterday tried to get a Citradelic and was met with Shiner, Lucky U or Miller. Went back to whisky.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Moscow Mules are gone from planes
Noooooooooo!!!!!
randomman likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Excited to have the Citradelic IPA on my flight this weekend. ^
Old May 4, 2018, 5:10 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Noooooooooo!!!!!
Nooooo!!!

looks like they removed it from the site too:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
and they also removed the Crafthouse page as well:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...cocktails.aspx
randomman likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i'm gutted that the mule is gone! that has to be one of the best pre-mixed cocktails out there. unfortunately, crafthouse cocktails has a tiny distribution reach, so i've probably drank my last one.

UA has been on an IPA kick for the past few years, mirroring the industry. as someone who isn't an IPA fan, i'm hoping that UA picks up on the sour beer trend, and gives a gose or berliner weisse a shot. the taste is more 'accessible' to the general public relative to hoppy IPAs.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by riphamilton
UA has been on an IPA kick for the past few years, mirroring the industry. as someone who isn't an IPA fan, i'm hoping that UA picks up on the sour beer trend, and gives a gose or berliner weisse a shot. the taste is more 'accessible' to the general public relative to hoppy IPAs.
Methinks you are in the minority, based on the relative availability of IPAs vs. sour beers.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i'm gutted that the mule is gone! that has to be one of the best pre-mixed cocktails out there. unfortunately, crafthouse cocktails has a tiny distribution reach, so i've probably drank my last one.

Share the sadness at the loss of the Crafthouse Moscow Mule.

And it seems it is not distributed in NYC. If anyone can prove me wrong, I'd be a happy man.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
... replaced by New Belgium Citradelic Tangerine IPA (which I liked) and Lagunitas Sumpin' Special (pale) Ale (liked less so,,,)
This is so sad. New Belgium isn't owed by a big corporate brewer, but I would not consider it a "micro" or local beer in any sense of the word.

Lagunitas is based in Petaluma, Calif, and is owned by Heineken. It was a local micro when they sold out. Heineken seems to have kept to imposing some corporate discipline on its hippie founders, but not messing with the beer itself. About that beer, Lagunitas tends to the over-hopped and high alcohol side. Not a bad thing -- if that's your thing.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:40 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Can't complain about the beer changes. Decent beer out, decent beer in.

I'm just glad they've been carrying something aside from Heineken and generic American lite lager, even if I didn't care for the particular Goose Island choices they had when they started catering better beers.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exerda
Can't complain about the beer changes. Decent beer out, decent beer in.

I'm just glad they've been carrying something aside from Heineken and generic American lite lager, even if I didn't care for the particular Goose Island choices they had when they started catering better beers.
Agree - decent array of beer considering space limitations.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

Methinks you are in the minority, based on the relative availability of IPAs vs. sour beers.
agreed. i would say that in terms of market trends, sours have expanded their niche in the past 2-3 years and continue to grow, whereas i get the sense that IPAs have all but reached market saturation. but you're correct, the two market shares aren't even comparable at this point.

anecdotally, it seems that there are regional hotspots for sours. in and around montreal and northern new england, i've found brewpubs where almost half of the draft list consists of sours. same goes for the carolinas, where westbrook brewing puts out exciting new flavored goses seemingly on a weekly basis (i.e., "raspberry vanilla lassi gose"). westbrook also brews possibly my favorite beer, mission gose, for evil twin.

all-important for UA, sours take a bit more work to produce and tend to be more expensive; two roads of CT retails a 4pk of 16oz "persian lime" gose cans for ~$17 before tax. that's probably the kiss of death for my hopes of drinking one in the air.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
UA 921 today LHR to EWR Ayala Brut Champagne--a nice change!
Old May 4, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
brutal news, the moscow mule was as refreshing as a G&T but in a pre-mix
Old May 5, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever

I'm actually OK with Sumpin Special but i'm a big IPA fan. However, I like IPAs where the flavour comes from the hops, not from flavours added.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.