Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not so friendly skies on united express

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Not so friendly skies on united express

woke up to this not so great news this morning in the big apple......
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/nati...481702141.html
Old May 4, 2018, 8:38 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
If true, dropping the F-Bomb on the PA system (or anywhere else it can be heard by passengers) is totally unacceptable......but I kinda think it's funny and a interesting way to end your career (better than popping open the emergency exit and sliding to freedom).

DEN
Old May 4, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Union or not, this employee should be fired.

I've always wondered about the safety implications of having an aircraft with a single attendant. What happens if there is something like this, and then god forbid an emergency. Or if there is a medical issue with the single attendant working, etc.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by DEN
If true, dropping the F-Bomb on the PA system (or anywhere else it can be heard by passengers) is totally unacceptable......but I kinda think it's funny and a interesting way to end your career (better than popping open the emergency exit and sliding to freedom).

DEN
Uh, no. I am good friends with the latter former B6 FA and I definitely can say taking two beers and sliding down to freedom is much better than this. This is just sad and no matter the reason I feel bad for her.
zeer0 and BearX220 like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:15 am

This really sounds like substance abuse or a decompensation for some mental illness. When behavior is this far off, it's not just a bad day.
I'm not excusing her actions, but this reeks of pathology.

I'm glad the passengers were assertive enough to contact the flight deck, and that Trans States (amusingly called TSA) did not fire her on the spot. She shouldn't be flying, but she deserves an evaluation.

I agree @emcabme, there is a risk when flights have a solo cabin crew member. At least the passengers knew what to do. I have a feeling she might have been less than helpful in an emergency. Don't let her touch the defibrillator.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by DEN

DEN
If this had been ex-EWR, would anyone have noticed?
Old May 4, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
OK, so I was not there and only seeing the video clip and reading the story. How or why did the flight crew not question her abilities prior to departure? One would think there was at least some interaction within the flight crew...
Old May 4, 2018, 10:55 am

TarheelNJ,
I was once taking a Continental Express Dash-8 from RDU to Newark.
As I boarded, the flight attendant's words were, "Oh, F@ck."

The usual expressions are, "hello," "welcome aboard," "hi."

I didn't feel terribly safe on board that flight.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
most of the problems United had recently happened on UX carriers. It is only a matter of time before United and other large airlines in the US got rid of these partners and insource everything. the writing is on the wall.
Miggles likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:43 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Can the pilots hear the announcements that the FA make?
Old May 4, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Wait, I'm trying to understand the hazed out photo of her in her jump seat--is she giving the finger to the passenger taking that picture? if so I will begin administering my asthma inhaler as I will be laughing hysterically for a while.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
I'd be surprised if UA or any other legacy carrier has the ability to specify any screening of the crew of their regional partners beyond that required by law. If I were UA's risk manager, I sure wouldn't want that responsibility (and liability). To the extent that any airline is held responsible, I'd say that only the company that issues this employee's paycheck should have any responsibility.

Oh, and I'd like to commend the originator of this thread for his/her excellent taste in selecting a screen name.

Last edited by COS_Flyer; May 4, 2018 at 3:03 pm Reason: put the grin in the wrong spot....
Old May 4, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL, AA
It doesn't say in the article, but the local law enforcement determined she was under the influence and the case has been turned over to the FBI.

Williston Airport Director Anthony Dudas says airport staff was notified just before the plane landed.

Williston police arrived and determined that the flight attendant was intoxicated.

The case has been turned over to the FBI.
Police: Flight Attendant On Williston Flight Was Drunk - KVRR Local News
[/QUOTE]
Old May 4, 2018, 3:27 pm

The use of small cameras or mobile devices for photography and video is permitted on board, provided you keep the purpose of your photography and video to capturing personal events. Photographing or recording other customers or airline personnel without their express consent is prohibited.
swir likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:26 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by COS_Flyer
Oh, and I'd like to commend the originator of this thread for his/her excellent taste in selecting a screen name.
lol, and isn't there also a cos_pilot user around too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.