Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

752 footwell storage -- FA says not usable on TO/landing, correct?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: I want to be free! Free!

Is my memory just bad or was this a policy that UA went lax on for a while?

Had an FA SFO-BOS this week insist that the footwell wasn't usable for bags during takeoff/landing -- I pointed out that the sign said the shelf and footrest were referenced by the signage, and she wasn't having it. Not worth an argument generally but an inconvenience / avoidable frustration.

I probably take 20 flights a year on these aircraft and can't remember the last time I was told my workbag couldn't go on the floor, but maybe I am just getting old. FA was not the greatest -- flight was a redeye and I raised my seat and put my belt over my blanket at the double chime. She still felt it necessary to wake me up and insist i put my already-up seat up. She also referenced that she thought direcTV was on the flight which lead me to believe perhaps she isn't as familiar with the A/C, but now I'm venting...
Old May 3, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The Diamond seat is FAA approved for taxi, takeoff and landing stowage under the footwell. If your bag fits under (personal item size), it can stay there.

The IPTE F and J seats, on the other hand, are not approved for taxi/takeoff/landing stowage of any kind. Perhaps that was the confusion... was it a 28J 752?
Old May 3, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764
The Diamond seat is FAA approved for taxi, takeoff and landing stowage under the footwell. If your bag fits under (personal item size), it can stay there.

The IPTE F and J seats, on the other hand, are not approved for taxi/takeoff/landing stowage of any kind. Perhaps that was the confusion... was it a 28J 752?
I believe it was a 28J; was in the forward cabin though so don't quite recall. And yes aware that the IPTE seats are no-nos for floor storage no matter how nicely it looks like it fits...

Edit: I was not singled out for this; entire cabin got the "must go in overhead bin" treatment.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I believe it was a 28J; was in the forward cabin though so don't quite recall. And yes aware that the IPTE seats are no-nos for floor storage no matter how nicely it looks like it fits...

Edit: I was not singled out for this; entire cabin got the "must go in overhead bin" treatment.
Possibly a FA who didn’t realize the seats (design originally CO) are approved for such storage, as compared to the “native” UA seats.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by EWR764
Possibly a FA who didn’t realize the seats (design originally CO) are approved for such storage, as compared to the “native” UA seats.
Correct. I had the same FA (or another with the same idea) a few months ago. I gently pushed back showing the placard, and mentioning that while the 777 eight-abreast seats did not allow underseat storage, the 752's did. But she would not change her mind and I quickly complied, not wanting to be kicked off for disobeying a crew member's instructions.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wxguy
Correct. I had the same FA (or another with the same idea) a few months ago. I gently pushed back showing the placard, and mentioning that while the 777 eight-abreast seats did not allow underseat storage, the 752's did. But she would not change her mind and I quickly complied, not wanting to be kicked off for disobeying a crew member's instructions.
yeah, deja vu. sad that this is what it has come to
Old May 3, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Agree.. sounds like it could arise from the confusion of flying the sCO seat on an sUA plane. Definitely approved for stowage below the footwell (on the floor). Reminds me of my recent 752 flight where the FA insisted I put up my seat when the captain announced "initial descent"
Old May 3, 2018, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Agree.. sounds like it could arise from the confusion of flying the sCO seat on an sUA plane. Definitely approved for stowage below the footwell (on the floor). Reminds me of my recent 752 flight where the FA insisted I put up my seat when the captain announced "initial descent"
I've had quite a few FAs do that over the years
Old May 3, 2018, 1:56 pm

Exactly what @findark said. Happens to me far too frequently. sUA FAs aren't familiar enough with the sCO seats to know that it's ok. And generally when this "rush to close door" process is going on, I just don't have the guts/motivation/interest to call them out on it. So it continues to happen - a lot.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
"Sir, do we have a problem?" = "do you want to be arrested and dragged off the plane?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.