Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Old May 4, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of January 2021, all of United's 777-200ERs have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus. This version is known as "Version 1" in United's listing of aircraft (previously version 5).

If you're looking for information about the "High Density" HD) 777-200 configurations used primarily on domestic routes and some trans-Atlantic flights, this thread has it:
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-). There is one oddball, N222UA , 32J,124E+, 206E-

The 777-200 Polaris configuration has 50 Polaris business seats in the 1-2-1 configuration used in the 777-300, although with 3 fewer rows. Presumably much of the guidance regarding desirable/less desirable rows from the 777-300 seating thread applies to the 777-200 as well.

Rows 20-22 are the new United Premium Plus seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration. On many flights, UA is not yet selling premium plus as a separate cabin of service, and the seats are sold as E+ seats (though they are much better than standard E+).

Economy is in a 3-4-3 configuration, with 46 Economy+ seats and 156 regular E seats. Economy is using a new Rockwell Aspire seat, which supposedly is more comfortable than current seats (although less space than those used in the past 3-3-3 configuration). While under-seat power outlets are still shared (2 for 3, 3 for 4), the seat back monitors have USB sockets to allow device charging for each individual.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77e

Originally Posted by Agremeister
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but lots of good pictures of the new economy cabin:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/where-...d-772-economy/
Guide to Polaris Business Seats:
The center (D/G) seats are generally the same. The odd numbered rows have a larger divider between D and G that can be lowered, so are better for couples that want to interact. The even numbered rows have a smaller divider, so good for solos (or couples who don't really want to talk but to have the chance to). The odd-row seats are located towards the center, with the table towards the aisle. This provides somewhat more privacy than the even-row seats, where the seat is closer to the aisle, with the table towards the center of the plane.
The window (A/L) seats have greater variation. The even-numbered rows (mostly) have one window that requires looking past your table and the partition for other seats. The odd-numbered rows mostly have 2 or 3 windows that are easily accessed, in all cases with the seat right next to the window and the table area towards the aisle side.
* Rows 1, 11, and 15 have 3 windows
* Rows 3 and 5 have two windows
* Row 9 has two windows plus a blank panel for wiring
* Row 7 has a single window plus a blank panel for wiring; The window is the forward part, requiring you to lean forward
* Row 8 has a little more wall space because there's no seat behind it
* Row 12 has no window
Row 1 is adjacent to the galley area at the front of the plane, although the G/L side is closer (the A/D side has a corridor to the lav and cockpit.
9A/L are somewhat protected from the galley, but next to the lavs and across from closets. 9D/G are more fully protected from galley (by those closets) but also have the lav adjacent.
Guide to Premium Plus Seats
All three rows are similar, except the footrests in Row 20 come from under your own seat rather than the seat in front. All rows have 2 windows, although they are over the wing.

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Old May 18, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Global Services -- Marriott Ambassador Elite - AA Gold
Booked on Sunday(May 20th) ORD-GRU on a 777-200 with the new Polaris Seats. Will report back as it seems there isn't too many of these out there. Seated in 1L. So far the flight back on Thursday May 24th is still in the old configuration. I followed the advice of the 77W thread as it seems they are similarly set up. We'll see how it goes...
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Best Polaris seats on refitted 777?
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Odd row windows on any 777 is safe bet.

Unless you are on my flight in which case pick even row middle.
silverforumsurf and narvik like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:45 pm

SFO-LHR july 2019 chance of retrofit?

Hi all,

I'm flying SFO-LHR in july 2019 in businesses on a 772. Any thoughts on the chance I might get a retrofitted 772 with the real polaris product at that point?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by turgutbey
Hi all,

I'm flying SFO-LHR in july 2019 in businesses on a 772. Any thoughts on the chance I might get a retrofitted 772 with the real polaris product at that point?
I would be surprised if the route was not upgauged to 77W for summer flying.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Hi all,

I would say very high.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I would be surprised if the route was not upgauged to 77W for summer flying.
More likely it's a polarised 772.

UA doesn't have enough 77Ws to double up on SFO-LHR or SFO-FRA.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:30 am

Thanks all for the replies. What's the best way to figure out if I am on the new config? Just continually checking the seat map? And any thoughts on when the upgrade might happen? Several months out or few days before?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks all for the replies. What's the best way to figure out if I am on the new config? Just continually checking the seat map? And any thoughts on when the upgrade might happen? Several months out or few days before?
Yes; if you have a service like ExpertFlyer you can also set an aircraft change alert.

Way too early to say what to expect; I would check back in around 3 months before departure when schedules start to firm up.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just had an aircraft swap and only odd window option available was last row - 15. Anything negative about the last row on this aircraft? Plenty of even row windows and middle section available if so.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Anything negative about the last row on this aircraft? Plenty of even row windows and middle section available if so.
Nothing that would make me pick an even or a middle.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:52 am

Huh??

Side rows of 3 end at row 48, middle block of seats (4 across) goes to 53. What’s up with that? Anyone know what version this one is?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Before United starts selling Premium Plus (premium economy) seats, the best economy plus seats on this B772 version are on rows 20, 21, and 22. These seats are sold as economy plus for now. So, premier elite members can get them for free. I am on this aircraft once, but I was supprised that those seats were not occupied.
Happy travel.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jackharbor
Side rows of 3 end at row 48, middle block of seats (4 across) goes to 53. What’s up with that? Anyone know what version this one is?
See this thread for answers.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...my-2018-a.html
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Are even numbered seats THAT bad in J???

So my wife and I are flying ORD-MUC this week on our way to Moscow, and a plane swap has now given us the chance for our first Polaris experience on a refurbished 777-200, and we've been moved to 10D&G. To read this thread, it seems even rows don't even exist in Polaris J, all the debate being about the nuances of odd rows. We don't have any options for an odd center pair (though could switch for consecutive windows or successive odd windows), so I was wondering how it is for a couple (who like to talk to each other) to fly in even row D&G. Will I even be able to see my wife without standing up? Any chance to converse? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.