Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of January 2021, all of United's 777-200ERs have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus. This version is known as "Version 1" in United's listing of aircraft (previously version 5).

If you're looking for information about the "High Density" HD) 777-200 configurations used primarily on domestic routes and some trans-Atlantic flights, this thread has it:
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-). There is one oddball, N222UA , 32J,124E+, 206E-

The 777-200 Polaris configuration has 50 Polaris business seats in the 1-2-1 configuration used in the 777-300, although with 3 fewer rows. Presumably much of the guidance regarding desirable/less desirable rows from the 777-300 seating thread applies to the 777-200 as well.

Rows 20-22 are the new United Premium Plus seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration. On many flights, UA is not yet selling premium plus as a separate cabin of service, and the seats are sold as E+ seats (though they are much better than standard E+).

Economy is in a 3-4-3 configuration, with 46 Economy+ seats and 156 regular E seats. Economy is using a new Rockwell Aspire seat, which supposedly is more comfortable than current seats (although less space than those used in the past 3-3-3 configuration). While under-seat power outlets are still shared (2 for 3, 3 for 4), the seat back monitors have USB sockets to allow device charging for each individual.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77e

Originally Posted by Agremeister
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but lots of good pictures of the new economy cabin:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/where-...d-772-economy/
Guide to Polaris Business Seats:
The center (D/G) seats are generally the same. The odd numbered rows have a larger divider between D and G that can be lowered, so are better for couples that want to interact. The even numbered rows have a smaller divider, so good for solos (or couples who don't really want to talk but to have the chance to). The odd-row seats are located towards the center, with the table towards the aisle. This provides somewhat more privacy than the even-row seats, where the seat is closer to the aisle, with the table towards the center of the plane.
The window (A/L) seats have greater variation. The even-numbered rows (mostly) have one window that requires looking past your table and the partition for other seats. The odd-numbered rows mostly have 2 or 3 windows that are easily accessed, in all cases with the seat right next to the window and the table area towards the aisle side.
* Rows 1, 11, and 15 have 3 windows
* Rows 3 and 5 have two windows
* Row 9 has two windows plus a blank panel for wiring
* Row 7 has a single window plus a blank panel for wiring; The window is the forward part, requiring you to lean forward
* Row 8 has a little more wall space because there's no seat behind it
* Row 12 has no window
Row 1 is adjacent to the galley area at the front of the plane, although the G/L side is closer (the A/D side has a corridor to the lav and cockpit.
9A/L are somewhat protected from the galley, but next to the lavs and across from closets. 9D/G are more fully protected from galley (by those closets) but also have the lav adjacent.
Guide to Premium Plus Seats
All three rows are similar, except the footrests in Row 20 come from under your own seat rather than the seat in front. All rows have 2 windows, although they are over the wing.

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jjay
Anyone sat on the exit row on a Polaris flight? I just for assigned to seat 40A on UA 960 EWR -> FRA today but I'm skeptical the exit door could be bothersome. I'm 5 11 and never enjoyed flying in exit row on any UA international flights at least on the older airplanes prior to Polaris.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed (as your flight has already left) since this 772 must be an older plane. They just put new Polaris seats and Premium Plus seats on an older 772.

The Exit row seats would be the same as before and if I remember correctly there's a protuberance on the door that would affect seats 40A and 40L.

According to the information I could find, this plane was delivered in 2001.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Dec 8, 2018 at 6:55 pm
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjay
Anyone sat on the exit row on a Polaris flight? I just for assigned to seat 40A on UA 960 EWR -> FRA today but I'm skeptical the exit door could be bothersome. I'm 5 11 and never enjoyed flying in exit row on any UA international flights at least on the older airplanes prior to Polaris.
UA960 on 8 Dec 2019 is operated by an Boeing 777-200 aircraft #2823 with the Polaris seats in business, so will move your post to that seat thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:23 am

Thanks all for th reply. I ended up taking the exit row seat (40A) and it wasn't at all bad (I even had a window view.) The exit door protrusion extended further away from my seat so I could stretch my leg relatively speaking without much of an inconvenience.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: United Gold, Marriott/Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
My flight this coming Friday for ORD-FRA was just confirmed for the retrofitted 777-200 (at least between now & departure haha) with Polaris, Premium+, & 10-abreast Economy seating. UA 907 -> N788UA #2888

I'm having 2nd thoughts about having 2x of us sit in the first bulkhead behind P+, 31A/31C mainly due to unknowns on bulkhead space, reduced "true" width of the seats with in-seat PTVs, & lack of storage. Ideal situation would be that 2x P+ seats open up by Friday or the middle, 31B, remains free. One can always dream! I'll be sure to post my thoughts in any case here on FT.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, HH Diamond
The first row of E+ (30DEFG, 31ABC, 31JKL) directly behind P+ do not have foot cutouts in the bulkhead, furthermore due to the position of the bulkhead and how it extends from the floor to the overhead bins, you end up losing 2 overhead bins in each aisle. 31C/31J are the best for legroom in those rows.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Overhead. That said, the current pilot contract includes provision for blocking a seat even on planes with overhead unless that's changed.
Can confirm that on my PVG-ORD on the newly configured Polaris, seat 1A was blocked for pilot. Person at seat 1D was pissed that the pilot decided to put his large carry-on on top of seat 1D. FA's response was "well, that's just how it is. That's where the pilot puts his luggage." Piss poor service as usual.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Lintrix
Person at seat 1D was pissed that the pilot decided to put his large carry-on on top of seat 1D.
Seriously? The pilot's supposed to carry it in his lap?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2018 at 6:58 pm Reason: cleanup after move
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Lintrix
Can confirm that on my PVG-ORD on the newly configured Polaris, seat 1A was blocked for pilot. Person at seat 1D was pissed that the pilot decided to put his large carry-on on top of seat 1D.
I first read that to mean the pilot placed his luggage actually on the 1D seat. But I guess it means in the overhead above 1D?
The person in 1D was annoyed by this?
There should have been plenty room still in the overheads, especially over 1A, no?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
I first read that to mean the pilot placed his luggage actually on the 1D seat. But I guess it means in the overhead above 1D?
There should have been plenty room still in the overheads, especially over 1A, no?
Maybe the same person that got annoyed when my wife put her bag on the other side of the aisle in Polaris Business on an ORD-PVG flight. She had read that it's safer like so that you can see if someone is riffling inside your bag. Person was so unhappy that my wife just removed her bag. Then the person tried to talk to my wife during the flight. She told him that she had no interest in talking to him.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by narvik
Originally Posted by Kacee
Seriously? The pilot's supposed to carry it in his lap?
I should have been more specific I suppose. The pasenger on 1D was an elderly lady with a small backpack that fit next to the piilot's luggage; however, frequently accessed the said backpack prior to departure. The FA that helped her push close the overhead compartment muffled in complaint that she had to close this overhead compartment over three times and so she asked the customer in an annoyed tone whether she has everything or not and it was because "the overhead compartment is very heavy." That's when the customer told her that that's not her bag that is heavy and then whole pilot thing started.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by findark
Even D and G seats are not really next to each other in any sense of the word. If there are no odd D/G pairs left, your best shot if you want to chat with your wife would be consecutive seats in the same column (best is an odd and the one right behind it) or just take two odd-row seats anywhere. The even seats are not "bad" in any real sense (solo, I'd pick an even Polaris seat over a any other UA J seat) but they are not next to each other.
So 11A/12A is better for a couple then 10D/G (assuming no odd middles open up)?

Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ordogg
So 11A/12A is better for a couple then 10D/G (assuming no odd middles open up)?

Thanks!
I would say so. In either pairing, you'll not be able to chat at leisure completely or share food easily, but in 11A/12A, 12A can still tap 11A when wanting to talk, and you'll both get windows.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje
I would say so. In either pairing, you'll not be able to chat at leisure completely or share food easily, but in 11A/12A, 12A can still tap 11A when wanting to talk, and you'll both get windows.
I agree. As noted, neither is ideal for conversation, but you will be much closer to each other in 11/12 A. The only other choice would be to acquiesce to the fact that Polaris is not built for traveling parties larger than one and take consecutive odd windows - that's what we usually do
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:09 pm

So does anyone know if 38AB are directly across from a lav?

We are traveling as a pair to PEK and I originally though the lav and closet were flipped at 38. Now that I am looking at the diagram again, I'm wondering if we will get a lav show every 5 seconds and should maybe move back to 51 instead. We have that rear of the plane pair before on a different configuration, but thought we might like to be closer to the front.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has paid attention to this layout.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: 1K
Just booked a pair of Polaris flights on the 777-200.

Wife really likes window so the odd rows in the middle of out of the running.

Does something like 3A (her) and 3D (me) offer any real conversation potential? If not, I'll just snag a window myself as I also somewhat prefer having one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.