Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of January 2021, all of United's 777-200ERs have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus. This version is known as "Version 1" in United's listing of aircraft (previously version 5).

If you're looking for information about the "High Density" HD) 777-200 configurations used primarily on domestic routes and some trans-Atlantic flights, this thread has it:
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-). There is one oddball, N222UA , 32J,124E+, 206E-

The 777-200 Polaris configuration has 50 Polaris business seats in the 1-2-1 configuration used in the 777-300, although with 3 fewer rows. Presumably much of the guidance regarding desirable/less desirable rows from the 777-300 seating thread applies to the 777-200 as well.

Rows 20-22 are the new United Premium Plus seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration. On many flights, UA is not yet selling premium plus as a separate cabin of service, and the seats are sold as E+ seats (though they are much better than standard E+).

Economy is in a 3-4-3 configuration, with 46 Economy+ seats and 156 regular E seats. Economy is using a new Rockwell Aspire seat, which supposedly is more comfortable than current seats (although less space than those used in the past 3-3-3 configuration). While under-seat power outlets are still shared (2 for 3, 3 for 4), the seat back monitors have USB sockets to allow device charging for each individual.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77e

Originally Posted by Agremeister
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but lots of good pictures of the new economy cabin:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/where-...d-772-economy/
Guide to Polaris Business Seats:
The center (D/G) seats are generally the same. The odd numbered rows have a larger divider between D and G that can be lowered, so are better for couples that want to interact. The even numbered rows have a smaller divider, so good for solos (or couples who don't really want to talk but to have the chance to). The odd-row seats are located towards the center, with the table towards the aisle. This provides somewhat more privacy than the even-row seats, where the seat is closer to the aisle, with the table towards the center of the plane.
The window (A/L) seats have greater variation. The even-numbered rows (mostly) have one window that requires looking past your table and the partition for other seats. The odd-numbered rows mostly have 2 or 3 windows that are easily accessed, in all cases with the seat right next to the window and the table area towards the aisle side.
* Rows 1, 11, and 15 have 3 windows
* Rows 3 and 5 have two windows
* Row 9 has two windows plus a blank panel for wiring
* Row 7 has a single window plus a blank panel for wiring; The window is the forward part, requiring you to lean forward
* Row 8 has a little more wall space because there's no seat behind it
* Row 12 has no window
Row 1 is adjacent to the galley area at the front of the plane, although the G/L side is closer (the A/D side has a corridor to the lav and cockpit.
9A/L are somewhat protected from the galley, but next to the lavs and across from closets. 9D/G are more fully protected from galley (by those closets) but also have the lav adjacent.
Guide to Premium Plus Seats
All three rows are similar, except the footrests in Row 20 come from under your own seat rather than the seat in front. All rows have 2 windows, although they are over the wing.

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:48 am

I agree with all of your points re: 15A or L. But I like to look out the window to the earth below. Isn’t row 15 solidly above the wing? And if that is true, my only other current choice with the privacy I desire is 11A, which according to this thread has 3 windows. Thoughts?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I still prefer rows 3 or 5 but I don't have this odd desire to be in a tiny mini-cabin. Also if forward of 2L you get less boarding traffic at most stations.

Not sure I would call 15 "solidly" above the wing but it definitely cuts off a decent bit of your view, and the engine is loud.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Roskey
I agree with all of your points re: 15A or L. But I like to look out the window to the earth below. Isn’t row 15 solidly above the wing? ....
Above the front edge of the wing, so some but not a lot of view blockage
https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77e
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:25 am

Thank you Wine Country and findark—hope I’m correctly replying to both of you. I’ve never used Wiki, so am “winging it”😃 Think I’ll stick with 11A, but will check again closer to takeoff to see if 3A or 5A (or L) opens up.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Hey all, thinking of row 31 in E+ on the right side at 31L and 31K for me and my mom on a 5.5 hour cross country flight. Is the bulkhead seat the best bet for legroom? Does it have a bulkhead cutout? Is it more legspace than the other E+ seats? Thanks!

Last edited by flyingrohit; Apr 28, 2022 at 4:35 pm
Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
There isn’t a cutout (don’t really need one unless you have very long legs), and there is slightly less space than the pre-Polaris 787 bulkhead e+ seats but there is still enough room to get out of the seat without disturbing your neighbor too much.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:04 pm

no seat 1A

I booked SFO-CDG on a 777-200 Polaris with 1-2-1 configuration (8 rows + 5 rows), and the seat map does not show seat 1A. It's not occupied; it's missing on the seat map. Is it because that is a designated crew seat?
Old May 19, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I booked SFO-CDG on a 777-200 Polaris with 1-2-1 configuration (8 rows + 5 rows), and the seat map does not show seat 1A. It's not occupied; it's missing on the seat map. Is it because that is a designated crew seat?
Yes
Old May 20, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Yes
Guess sfvoyage gets to work this flight!

David
Old May 22, 2022, 12:36 pm

United 772 Polaris EWR - HNL

United has(finally) replaced the 764 w the 772 with Premium-econ and Polaris cabins.

I'm scheduled to fly this route in August in "Polaris" seats, & inquiring about anyone's experience with this new hard/soft product on this route flown within the last few weeks. I'm looking for opinions on all cabin experiences,(our kids flying econp) & hopefully a comparison to the old and new products/service etc...
Old May 23, 2022, 11:12 pm

Does anyone have specific experience or pros/cons to share on Polaris 772 seat 1L? I read through this entire thread no one has mentioned much about it. I have a daytime westbound flight MUC-IAD in a couple months, and so far almost all seats are still open to choose, so I grabbed 1L for now. I know the footwell should be larger, and it should have a good window view. Any negative lav or galley or passenger traffic issues to note?
Old May 23, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by yst33
Does anyone have specific experience or pros/cons to share on Polaris 772 seat 1L? I read through this entire thread no one has mentioned much about it. I have a daytime westbound flight MUC-IAD in a couple months, and so far almost all seats are still open to choose, so I grabbed 1L for now. I know the footwell should be larger, and it should have a good window view. Any negative lav or galley or passenger traffic issues to note?
I picked 5A for an overnight flight to South America, I like being a little bit further away from the galley. It’s a straight facing seat rather than angled so you have a little bit more privacy. Other than that I’m interested in other commentary
Old May 24, 2022, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yst33
Footwell size doesn't matter to me on the 777s (the fuselage is wider on the 777 than on the 787, meaning seats are slightly wider and have larger footwells), so I prefer to be further away from the galley. If I have my pick, I'd choose 3AL or 5AL.
Flying Machine and Kacee like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by dkc192
Footwell size doesn't matter to me on the 777s (the fuselage is wider on the 777 than on the 787, meaning seats are slightly wider and have larger footwells), so I prefer to be further away from the galley. If I have my pick, I'd choose 3AL or 5AL.
We think alike, thank you for the confirmation of my selection. I didn’t know that about the fuselage size.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Julian Rothenberg
United has(finally) replaced the 764 w the 772 with Premium-econ and Polaris cabins.

I'm scheduled to fly this route in August in "Polaris" seats, & inquiring about anyone's experience with this new hard/soft product on this route flown within the last few weeks. I'm looking for opinions on all cabin experiences,(our kids flying econp) & hopefully a comparison to the old and new products/service etc...
I've had the pleasure of flying these aircraft between DEN and HNL during the pandemic. Previously, the route used the 777HD which I detest, particularly when forced into the center section in either economy or domestic first class.

The pods are quite private, can almost be claustrophobic if you're subject to that. Since the pods are all separated, you will NOT have a traditional side-by-side interactive flight with your spouse. It's up to you and your spouse whether that's good, bad, or indifferent. I personally don't feel a need to lie flat when going west to HNL but it's welcome when flying back east on the redeye. Entertainment options are quite good, the screen is big enough that I don't feel a need to pull out my iPad for BYOT movies. In economy, the screens are much smaller and your kids may prefer to use their own tablets. Electrical outlets in either cabin are often loose -- you will do much better with a 3-prong or European plug to charge your electronics.

Dinner on the return flight in the front has tended to be chicken katsu or cauliflower croquettes. The chicken katsu has actually been quite good IMO (and I've eaten enough tonkatsu and chicken katsu to appreciate good versus bad). You can see pictures of those meals in the appropriate thread. There are often complaints here on FT about the soft product and service but I have actually had very good experience with the service on DEN-HNL and HNL-DEN. Your mileage may vary with EWR-based flight crews; New Yorkers and Jerseyites are a different breed IME. Be aware your kids in the back will NOT have the same meal selections (if any). They would be well-advised to grab their own meals in the terminal (I'm not a fan of any of the boxes or most of the Bistro on Board selections and the BoB tends to sell out quickly). Also, purchasing meals or boxes is done contactless by registering a charge card to your account ahead of the flight and charging to the seat number so your kids should NOT change seats with anyone or you may get charged for someone else's food and/or drinks.
Julian Rothenberg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.