Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of January 2021, all of United's 777-200ERs have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus. This version is known as "Version 1" in United's listing of aircraft (previously version 5).

If you're looking for information about the "High Density" HD) 777-200 configurations used primarily on domestic routes and some trans-Atlantic flights, this thread has it:
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-). There is one oddball, N222UA , 32J,124E+, 206E-

The 777-200 Polaris configuration has 50 Polaris business seats in the 1-2-1 configuration used in the 777-300, although with 3 fewer rows. Presumably much of the guidance regarding desirable/less desirable rows from the 777-300 seating thread applies to the 777-200 as well.

Rows 20-22 are the new United Premium Plus seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration. On many flights, UA is not yet selling premium plus as a separate cabin of service, and the seats are sold as E+ seats (though they are much better than standard E+).

Economy is in a 3-4-3 configuration, with 46 Economy+ seats and 156 regular E seats. Economy is using a new Rockwell Aspire seat, which supposedly is more comfortable than current seats (although less space than those used in the past 3-3-3 configuration). While under-seat power outlets are still shared (2 for 3, 3 for 4), the seat back monitors have USB sockets to allow device charging for each individual.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77e

Originally Posted by Agremeister
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but lots of good pictures of the new economy cabin:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/where-...d-772-economy/
Guide to Polaris Business Seats:
The center (D/G) seats are generally the same. The odd numbered rows have a larger divider between D and G that can be lowered, so are better for couples that want to interact. The even numbered rows have a smaller divider, so good for solos (or couples who don't really want to talk but to have the chance to). The odd-row seats are located towards the center, with the table towards the aisle. This provides somewhat more privacy than the even-row seats, where the seat is closer to the aisle, with the table towards the center of the plane.
The window (A/L) seats have greater variation. The even-numbered rows (mostly) have one window that requires looking past your table and the partition for other seats. The odd-numbered rows mostly have 2 or 3 windows that are easily accessed, in all cases with the seat right next to the window and the table area towards the aisle side.
* Rows 1, 11, and 15 have 3 windows
* Rows 3 and 5 have two windows
* Row 9 has two windows plus a blank panel for wiring
* Row 7 has a single window plus a blank panel for wiring; The window is the forward part, requiring you to lean forward
* Row 8 has a little more wall space because there's no seat behind it
* Row 12 has no window
Row 1 is adjacent to the galley area at the front of the plane, although the G/L side is closer (the A/D side has a corridor to the lav and cockpit.
9A/L are somewhat protected from the galley, but next to the lavs and across from closets. 9D/G are more fully protected from galley (by those closets) but also have the lav adjacent.
Guide to Premium Plus Seats
All three rows are similar, except the footrests in Row 20 come from under your own seat rather than the seat in front. All rows have 2 windows, although they are over the wing.

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
It's a wall. Personally I go for 1DG, never been bothered by traffic or noise, but if you are very sensitive 12DG might be better. Note that you really cannot interact with a companion from 12DG (seats angled way and distant from each other).
I’m traveling with my husband and 3 year old to hnl. I have 12dg and my husband has 12a but I saw that 7dg opened up and my husband could sit on either window in row 8.

im wondering with a 3yo we just switch to row 7 even though my husband will be behind us instead of next to us .

thoughts?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:48 pm

Proximity to 3 yo

Originally Posted by fumje
It's a wall. Personally I go for 1DG, never been bothered by traffic or noise, but if you are very sensitive 12DG might be better. Note that you really cannot interact with a companion from 12DG (seats angled way and distant from each other).
I’m traveling with my husband and 3 year old to hnl. I have 12dg and my husband has 12a but I saw that 7dg opened up and my husband could sit on either window in row 8.

im wondering with a 3yo we just switch to row 7 even though my husband will be behind us instead of next to us .

thoughts?
Old Sep 18, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ttb217

thoughts?
12a is less isolated from 12d than 7a is from row 8, of course, but 12d is more isolated from 12g than 7d is from 7g.

So on balance I would move to 7dg + 8a/l.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Would avoid 12A if one likes to look out the window. There are no accessible windows there.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: Various
Is the front lav readily accessible to passengers seated in say Rows 1-3? I can select 1L, 2L, and 3G in an upcoming TATL trip, but not sure whether the cabin crew will point me to the aft business class lavs as I try to walk through the front galley. Also, anyone aware of any problems/limitations with overhead luggage space above 1L or 2L?
Old Sep 19, 2021, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jd916
Is the front lav readily accessible to passengers seated in say Rows 1-3? I can select 1L, 2L, and 3G in an upcoming TATL trip, but not sure whether the cabin crew will point me to the aft business class lavs as I try to walk through the front galley. Also, anyone aware of any problems/limitations with overhead luggage space above 1L or 2L?
Absolutely no problem from either side of aircraft. Most of the galley function is not in way. I usually sit in front rows on that side and rarely go to back, and that was because of forward lavs being occupied, not because of galley activity.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:03 pm

Economy+ bulkhead vs. standard economy

Hi all,

we will be flying on the 777-200 later this year IAH-GRU in Economy. Since +0.5 is 1 year old, my wife and I can get the Eco+ bulkhead seats in the center for free to have access to the bassinet (nice touch of United!). I do not have status of any sort.

I am usually happy with standard Eco seats at 6‘1“ as long as I can stretch my legs out, which I usually can as long as there are no entertainment boxes. +0.5 hated the bassinet on his last flight so not sure we will end up using it. Hence my question:
- How close are the bulkhead Eco+ seats in rows 30 and 40 to the bulkhead, and do they allow stretching out the legs (maybe D and G?)?
- Would you recommend me to get the „free upgrade“ or should we rather remain in regular Eco given the circumstances? If the flight is not completely full, booking A and C seats in one of the back 3-seat rows may help us to have the middle seat empty and he just sleeps on our lap.

thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
I have an overnight TATL on this aircraft several months in my future. Polaris cabin is lightly booked at the moment so I have lots of choice. I chose 1L as I'm 6'3" tall, with large feet (size 13), and I'm a side sleeper. I'd have preferred 1A due to the noise issue but it's a crew rest. Does anyone have thoughts on what might be better than 1L? I'm slightly bothered by the noise issue and my hope is to have dinner in the EWR Polaris lounge (assuming that its open when I fly) and maximize my sleeping time. TIA.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt
Hi all, I've just booked PremPlus for SFO --> LHR redeye next spring. On the seatmap, 20 B, K and L are gone, everything else is still open.

I'm 6' tall and appreciate legroom, may or may not sleep on the flight, and am usually up and down a few times going to the lav. Is 20A bulkhead seat enough legroom that I could climb over 20B if they sleep through the flight? Or would I be better off with an aisle seat? Totally stumped-- if it were 2-3-2 I'd go with aisle middle hoping a couple books the two seats next to me and will climb over each other. So any advice welcome
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lettezilla
Hi all, I've just booked PremPlus for SFO --> LHR redeye next spring. On the seatmap, 20 B, K and L are gone, everything else is still open.

I'm 6' tall and appreciate legroom, may or may not sleep on the flight, and am usually up and down a few times going to the lav. Is 20A bulkhead seat enough legroom that I could climb over 20B if they sleep through the flight? Or would I be better off with an aisle seat? Totally stumped-- if it were 2-3-2 I'd go with aisle middle hoping a couple books the two seats next to me and will climb over each other. So any advice welcome
Yes, they are fine. Plus the bulk head doesn't recline, so it's easier to step over someone's feet to get out. Stay in an aisle seat in 21 and 22, because a reclined seat does make it harder to cross over from the window seat or a middle seat.
lettezilla likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:42 pm

Polaris Lie Flat to Hawaii for Couples

I'm ready to book a flight from ORD to HNL on a United 777-200. It has Polaris First seats. As a couple that actually want to sit together which seats are best?
Do the middle row seats have a divider that you can put down?
Or would the Window single seats be better to book if one person sits in front of the other?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milemonkey
I'm ready to book a flight from ORD to HNL on a United 777-200. It has Polaris First seats. As a couple that actually want to sit together which seats are best?
Or would the Window single seats be better to book if one person sits in front of the other?
The window seats - even if you are 1 row apart - will not feel whatsoever like you are sitting together. You'll need to book the middles.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by milemonkey
For true Polaris you want the odd seats in the middle. There's a divider you can put down.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 8:11 pm

Any opinion on Row 9? Is it too close to the lavs or galley? We plan on sleeping.
Its flight 1430 from OGG-DEN
Old Oct 23, 2021, 5:36 pm

Best Polaris seats for couples

We are a couple traveling CDG-SFO and want to be able to chat. I see in the wiki that odd row D/G seats may be best for couples who want to interact, however I also read some comments which seem to say that is not the case. Currently we have 11 D/G. I'm also wondering if there is any advantage to being in the smaller 2nd Polaris cabin vs the larger more forward cabin. Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited by bayareasfo9; Oct 23, 2021 at 5:57 pm Reason: edited

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.