Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of January 2021, all of United's 777-200ERs have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus. This version is known as "Version 1" in United's listing of aircraft (previously version 5).

If you're looking for information about the "High Density" HD) 777-200 configurations used primarily on domestic routes and some trans-Atlantic flights, this thread has it:
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-). There is one oddball, N222UA , 32J,124E+, 206E-

The 777-200 Polaris configuration has 50 Polaris business seats in the 1-2-1 configuration used in the 777-300, although with 3 fewer rows. Presumably much of the guidance regarding desirable/less desirable rows from the 777-300 seating thread applies to the 777-200 as well.

Rows 20-22 are the new United Premium Plus seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration. On many flights, UA is not yet selling premium plus as a separate cabin of service, and the seats are sold as E+ seats (though they are much better than standard E+).

Economy is in a 3-4-3 configuration, with 46 Economy+ seats and 156 regular E seats. Economy is using a new Rockwell Aspire seat, which supposedly is more comfortable than current seats (although less space than those used in the past 3-3-3 configuration). While under-seat power outlets are still shared (2 for 3, 3 for 4), the seat back monitors have USB sockets to allow device charging for each individual.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77e

Originally Posted by Agremeister
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but lots of good pictures of the new economy cabin:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/where-...d-772-economy/
Guide to Polaris Business Seats:
The center (D/G) seats are generally the same. The odd numbered rows have a larger divider between D and G that can be lowered, so are better for couples that want to interact. The even numbered rows have a smaller divider, so good for solos (or couples who don't really want to talk but to have the chance to). The odd-row seats are located towards the center, with the table towards the aisle. This provides somewhat more privacy than the even-row seats, where the seat is closer to the aisle, with the table towards the center of the plane.
The window (A/L) seats have greater variation. The even-numbered rows (mostly) have one window that requires looking past your table and the partition for other seats. The odd-numbered rows mostly have 2 or 3 windows that are easily accessed, in all cases with the seat right next to the window and the table area towards the aisle side.
* Rows 1, 11, and 15 have 3 windows
* Rows 3 and 5 have two windows
* Row 9 has two windows plus a blank panel for wiring
* Row 7 has a single window plus a blank panel for wiring; The window is the forward part, requiring you to lean forward
* Row 8 has a little more wall space because there's no seat behind it
* Row 12 has no window
Row 1 is adjacent to the galley area at the front of the plane, although the G/L side is closer (the A/D side has a corridor to the lav and cockpit.
9A/L are somewhat protected from the galley, but next to the lavs and across from closets. 9D/G are more fully protected from galley (by those closets) but also have the lav adjacent.
Guide to Premium Plus Seats
All three rows are similar, except the footrests in Row 20 come from under your own seat rather than the seat in front. All rows have 2 windows, although they are over the wing.

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TastyPlaneEats

@HNLbasedFlyer - would noise cancelling headphones help hide that sound?
I wrote about my experience in 9A a few weeks back. I didn't think the UA provided headphones muted out the sound enough - of course better ones exist.

I found it difficult to sleep with the noise (I personally don't wear headphones when I sleep)
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I've sat in the pre-Polaris equivalent of 9A/L (I think it was 8A/K) and don't recall the noise being much louder than elsewhere in the cabin. I wear Bose QCs for the entire flight, and they don't drown everything out, but I've slept find a number of times in that (old) seat (maybe because it was rear-facing? )
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
I'm not sure that is a bathroom. It doesn't have a lock or a "occupied" sign. I believe it might be a closet or something else.
It's a closet - I think they store all the plush Polaris bedding in there!
SPN Lifer and TastyPlaneEats like this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you @Drunkmuppet and @fumje for your insight.

@HNLbasedFlyer - would noise cancelling headphones help hide that sound?
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I wrote about my experience in 9A a few weeks back. I didn't think the UA provided headphones muted out the sound enough - of course better ones exist.

I found it difficult to sleep with the noise (I personally don't wear headphones when I sleep)
Indeed the engine is right there, but as always this is a YMMV type of situation. I have several times sat in 9A and never been bothered by the noise, as it is like white noise, which to me helps with sleep. When watching IFE I don't notice it at all. If you are sensitive to background noise, I expect headphones and/or earplugs would help substantially, and given the limited alternatives there isn't much option to get away from it (3D would be quieter for engine noise, but 12A/L wouldn't be much reduced).

I don't love the obstructed view, due to the engine, but given the alternatives (3D: no view except for whoever is in 3G. 12A/L: hard-to-use view given the seat angulation.), it's also the best option from that perspective.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Seat 1A

We, family and Me, are flying Polaris in the Spring and we're on a 772. The Seat Map is wide open and we wanted to do row 1 all the way across. It seat 1A isn't showing up on the seat map at all for some reason. Maybe this is by design? Is this seat even desirable with all of the foot traffic? Thanks in advance
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mgobluetex
We, family and Me, are flying Polaris in the Spring and we're on a 772. The Seat Map is wide open and we wanted to do row 1 all the way across. It seat 1A isn't showing up on the seat map at all for some reason. Maybe this is by design? Is this seat even desirable with all of the foot traffic? Thanks in advance
Reserved for pilot rest. Are you on an actual Polaris route or just a domestic route w/ Polaris seats? If the latter, 1A should eventually be available for selection (excluding long-haul to Hawaii).
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Reserved for pilot rest.
Figured that may be it but I thought they usually showed the seat on th seat map but just had it blocked out. Thanks for the prompt reply!
Old Jul 18, 2021, 12:02 pm

777-200ER v5 Seat 5L - N77109

5L opened up on my flight, so I took that instead of 9L.

Noticed there are no adjustable air vents in the Polaris cabin.

No Polaris pillow and no signature (Sak’s 5th Ave) blankets. FA are giving out the crappy blankets from economy to use as a pillow.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 12:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... No Polaris pillow and no signature (Sak’s 5th Ave) blankets. FA are giving out the crappy blankets from economy to use as a pillow.
What route?
Domestic routes may have the lie-flat seats but that will not include the full international Polaris bedding -- will be serviced as Domestic F.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 1:00 pm

EWR-LAS UA2075

Being served breakfast at 3pm … Hope the eggs didn’t go bad yet. 🤢

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What route?
Domestic routes may have the lie-flat seats but that will not include the full international Polaris bedding -- will be serviced as Domestic F.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Reserved for pilot rest. Are you on an actual Polaris route or just a domestic route w/ Polaris seats? If the latter, 1A should eventually be available for selection (excluding long-haul to Hawaii).
Odd because on my CPT EWR flight which is much longer I was able to get 1A assigned on 789 (new Polaris 1x2x1 configuration) but maybe the pilots have an enhanced rest area on that aircraft

EWR-LAS UA2075

Being served breakfast at 3pm … Hope the eggs didn’t go bad yet. 🤢
At least you are getting a somewhat proper meal so smile ; AA and DL aren't serving meals on similar routes
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 3:50 pm

DL was supposed to resume meals in D1. I’m hoping they do soon.

This flight keeps getting worse. 6 hour delay, given a flimsy blanket to be my pillow, and then the FA said they made a mistake and screwed up my food order. 😡 They have no more eggs, would I like something else. I nicely asked what are my choices. Just the waffles … some choice. The Belgian waffle is super sweet, came with fresh fruit, and a Greek yogurt … so basically a diabetes meal from UA. 😅

I regret cancelling my JetBlue Mint flight to take this cheaper UA Polaris flight. Free wifi, five menu items to choose three from, live tv … sorry I strayed JetBlue! Don’t take Mosaic away from me! LOL

Originally Posted by fly747first
At least you are getting a somewhat proper meal so smile ; AA and DL aren't serving meals on similar routes
Old Jul 18, 2021, 4:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Being served breakfast at 3pm … Hope the eggs didn’t go bad yet. 🤢
Happens when there is a delay -- 6 hours ouch but EWR is a mess this weekend due to weather,
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
DL was supposed to resume meals in D1. I’m hoping they do soon.

This flight keeps getting worse. 6 hour delay, given a flimsy blanket to be my pillow, and then the FA said they made a mistake and screwed up my food order. 😡 They have no more eggs, would I like something else. I nicely asked what are my choices. Just the waffles … some choice. The Belgian waffle is super sweet, came with fresh fruit, and a Greek yogurt … so basically a diabetes meal from UA. 😅

I regret cancelling my JetBlue Mint flight to take this cheaper UA Polaris flight. Free wifi, five menu items to choose three from, live tv … sorry I strayed JetBlue! Don’t take Mosaic away from me! LOL
DL keeps lying about this; they have only resumed meals in D1 JFK LAX/SFO; all other routes are still getting snack boxes despite DL showing many flights online listing meal services when in fact no meals are being served

To put it in perspective, even super long domestic routes exceeding 7 hours such as ATL ANC and JFK ANC still aren't getting any meals because that's how little respect DL has for its premium passengers these days

With regards to B6 Mint, yes it is much better than UA's transcon product and B6 is even providing real glassware on these
artvandalay likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Flying polarized 777-200 later this year. Best seat for a couple if row 1 unavailable? Is 9 markedly better than the pair seats at 3, 5, or 7?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.