Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SFO777
Originally Posted by mr8
How to get the old layout back
  1. Delete the cookie named: newHP
  2. Go directly to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/
  3. Enjoy it while it lasts
United Airlines' Redesigned Homepage Takes Off

Airline unveils new homepage with improved functionality and more personalized experience

CHICAGO, July 12, 2018

Today, United Airlines (UAL) announced the redesigned united.com homepage, featuring a more personalized digital experience for each customer and an updated, more modern, user-friendly design. The new homepage was created to better tailor the experience for customers, while also improving functionality and ease of use.

Some of the key highlights of the new homepage include:
  • A more contemporary, user-friendly design
  • Content personalized based on customer's MileagePlus status as well as upcoming, current and previous trips
  • A new display that is fully responsive for optimal viewing on desktop and mobile devices
  • A travel inspiration integration section that allows customers to explore curated content from different destinations United serves will be available later this year

"Each one of our customers is unique and has different needs for his or her travel, and our goal with this new homepage is to provide customers with a more seamless experience," said Praveen Sharma, vice president of digital products and analytics. "

Personalizing our digital offerings is just another step towards giving our customers the experience and the products that they ask for."United's homepage is the starting point where most of its customers begin their journey. These latest efforts reiterate the airline's dedication to improving the travel experience for its customers, beginning before they book a flight.

The airline first began rolling out the new homepage in April, and continued expanding to more and more users, while adding additional functionality throughout the phased roll out. The site will be live to all customers in early August.

Earlier this year, United updated its mobile website, adding a more optimized display, additional flexibility to adjust flights throughout the site, Japanese language and point of sale and more. The new design of United's homepage will also appear on the airline's mobile website, creating a more seamless experience when managing travel and bookings across a variety of different devices.

Today's announcement is just the latest in United's commitment to invest in all of its platforms to give customers the tools and information they desire to travel with ease.
Another workaround is a non-US site.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/ca/
Print Wikipost

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I tend to prefer evolutionary change rather than revolutionary change. What’s wrong with slowly evolving the current design, allowing users to digest one small change at a time.
I'd agree with this, with the addition of change should happen for a reason. If there's new functionality or changes to existing functionality, then there should be a change to a website. Change for the sake of design only seems silly. There's a thread started every time UA changes the site, and some people like the new design, some hate it, and some don't care. Clearly it's a matter of personal preference. So, if you'll always have these three groups, why spend the money (and potentially introduce risk into the system) just to change the design?

Unlike some other businesses, people aren't choosing an airline based on how nice it's website looks. In fact, most people are going to select an airline for each trip they take based on some combination of cost and schedule/route. I can't imagine that website design even enters the picture as the 10th tie-breaker.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:30 am

it's ungainly and has definitely taken a step back. The stuff about not selecting an airline based on a website are valid. Yes, in a silo, this is the case, but the website is but a component of the entire experience. Start messing with one component, and the whole equation can fail to compute. Just sayin.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
The best possible website change they could make is performance optimization, maybe toss in some usability testing or A/B tests to improve the experience. But I don't think they do any of those things.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Did anyone else's brain go to "Premier" when they saw the "Status" tab and not "flight"?
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Allow me to one of (if not the) first to make a positive observation.
It is new (to United) and (slightly) different.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Allow me to one of (if not the) first to make a positive observation.
It is new (to United) and (slightly) different.
Sorry, what's positive about that? The new interface needs to be faster, easier, or something that makes it tangibly better to be positive IMO. I'm wondering what you see that you like and think is a good chance for United.com.

-RM
Old May 17, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by justpetehere
I don't mind the new design, though the new sidebar undercounts my number of RPUs available

Clicking through to "My Account" still shows the right number.
It’s been two weeks, and this (rather serious IMO) bug is still present.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Scarcasm by dear fellow (assumed), Scarcasm.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

It’s been two weeks, and this (rather serious IMO) bug is still present.
Must have been therapeutic to type this as the bug seems to have disappeared overnight .
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by zymm
The best possible website change they could make is performance optimization, maybe toss in some usability testing or A/B tests to improve the experience. But I don't think they do any of those things.
I happen to know a former web developer at UA, and I can say with certainty that they do. Given the variety of third-party tools available, even the smallest company can A/B test these days.

Having said that, it goes without saying that their inability to launch a fully redesigned site so many years after the merger is a huge disappointment. But to suggest they're not engaged in performance optimization, usability testing, or A/B tests is off the mark.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
But to suggest they're not engaged in performance optimization, usability testing, or A/B tests is off the mark.
Considering performance keeps going down, I have to disagree. As for the others, running the tests doesn't mean they act on them, or even that the tests are valid. I can only assume that the tests are faulty, or I'm a corner case and that my usability requirements do not match the majority of their testers. Of course, based on the general FT view, I really don't think I'm that off the mark.

United seems much more interested in change for the sake of change rather than trying to improve the user experience.
Miggles likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
....much more interested in change for the sake of change rather than trying to improve the user experience.
Sadly, that sentence holds true for just about any IT department, and falls under the category of "job security".
Old May 20, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Considering performance keeps going down, I have to disagree. As for the others, running the tests doesn't mean they act on them, or even that the tests are valid. I can only assume that the tests are faulty, or I'm a corner case and that my usability requirements do not match the majority of their testers. Of course, based on the general FT view, I really don't think I'm that off the mark.

United seems much more interested in change for the sake of change rather than trying to improve the user experience.
You're making a fallacious assumption: that what a FTer considers a great website bears much resemblance to what a general consumer wants. I assure you that you, I, and pretty much everyone else on FT is an edge case.

With regard to goals for the homepage, I'm not privy to internal communications, but I'm certain that their top priority is not "change for the sake of change," nor is it "trying to improve the user experience." It's funneling visitors toward a purchase -- even to the exclusion of other important and potentially lucrative tasks. That creates tension, because not every market segment finds a homepage redesign adds value. In the aggregate, however, it adds value for the company as a whole.

I say this not as an antagonist, but as one who has led site redesigns whose audience numbered in the billions. It's always a compromise, and some segments are ignored in the process. But it doesn't suggest gross incompetence.

However, I want to be perfectly clear: the multi-year delay does suggest serious problems with process management.

Originally Posted by narvik
Sadly, that sentence holds true for just about any IT department, and falls under the category of "job security".
UA's IT department handles its internal systems and security. It does not have any relationship to the company's customer-facing digital strategy.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne
it's ungainly and has definitely taken a step back. The stuff about not selecting an airline based on a website are valid. Yes, in a silo, this is the case, but the website is but a component of the entire experience. Start messing with one component, and the whole equation can fail to compute. Just sayin.
Well, I made that statement in terms of an airline gaining new customers or losing existing customers. As long as a website does what it promises, it doesn't matter what it looks like. I would absolutely agree with you if we were talking about functionality, but this is design simply for the sake of changing something that works, it seems.

So very true...

You're making a fallacious assumption: that what a FTer considers a great website bears much resemblance to what a general consumer wants. I assure you that you, I, and pretty much everyone else on FT is an edge case.
Well, I don't consider myself an "edge case". Sure, I've flown a lot over the years, but I would in no way consider myself a power user or someone who is trying to take advantage of the site (not in a bad way necessarily). I'm not an "IT", "tech", or "design" guy. To the theme of this thread, I can't for the life of me, as a normal human website user, understand why this new design would be better or more attractive than the current one.

UA's IT department handles its internal systems and security. It does not have any relationship to the company's customer-facing digital strategy.
Are you sure of that? If so, perhaps that's the problem. I've worked with a great number of of Fortune 250 companies over the years, and "digital", whether it's web, mobile, etc. tends to roll up to IT and the CIO. You can't really design interfaces without having a connection to the underlying technology. Perhaps they have the group split in half, as you suggest, but I'd be surprised if they don't all roll up to a CIO, or the equivalent. If not, that might explain why there would be useless design changes without accompanying changes to functionality...everyone needs to justify their existence.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
After a career in product development (of very market specific technical products), there are a few truisms,
Everybody is an expert in user interface design and
Everybody is an expert in pricing.

Once had a cost accountant commented on a product's UI but they did not really understand what the product did or why. But that did stop them.

Some of the worst senior executives who had long forgotten what it was like to be a 'regular" user.

In the end, formal user testing results, with a representative demographic group was the most productive appraoch but that did not stop others from inferring the testing results were wrong.

Another truism -- most people hate change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.