Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SFO777
Originally Posted by mr8
How to get the old layout back
  1. Delete the cookie named: newHP
  2. Go directly to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/
  3. Enjoy it while it lasts
United Airlines' Redesigned Homepage Takes Off

Airline unveils new homepage with improved functionality and more personalized experience

CHICAGO, July 12, 2018

Today, United Airlines (UAL) announced the redesigned united.com homepage, featuring a more personalized digital experience for each customer and an updated, more modern, user-friendly design. The new homepage was created to better tailor the experience for customers, while also improving functionality and ease of use.

Some of the key highlights of the new homepage include:
  • A more contemporary, user-friendly design
  • Content personalized based on customer's MileagePlus status as well as upcoming, current and previous trips
  • A new display that is fully responsive for optimal viewing on desktop and mobile devices
  • A travel inspiration integration section that allows customers to explore curated content from different destinations United serves will be available later this year

"Each one of our customers is unique and has different needs for his or her travel, and our goal with this new homepage is to provide customers with a more seamless experience," said Praveen Sharma, vice president of digital products and analytics. "

Personalizing our digital offerings is just another step towards giving our customers the experience and the products that they ask for."United's homepage is the starting point where most of its customers begin their journey. These latest efforts reiterate the airline's dedication to improving the travel experience for its customers, beginning before they book a flight.

The airline first began rolling out the new homepage in April, and continued expanding to more and more users, while adding additional functionality throughout the phased roll out. The site will be live to all customers in early August.

Earlier this year, United updated its mobile website, adding a more optimized display, additional flexibility to adjust flights throughout the site, Japanese language and point of sale and more. The new design of United's homepage will also appear on the airline's mobile website, creating a more seamless experience when managing travel and bookings across a variety of different devices.

Today's announcement is just the latest in United's commitment to invest in all of its platforms to give customers the tools and information they desire to travel with ease.
Another workaround is a non-US site.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/ca/
Print Wikipost

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Whoa! Seems to only be the reservation page (seat selection, upgrade, etc are still old format). Anyone notice the animation of the plane moving down the runway when the browser is thinking?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Work laptop has been on the new site for a week, but thankfully my home pc’s still bring up the old.😄
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Clicking on "View All Trips" takes me to the "Manage Reservations" page in the old layout.

Regarding Economy Plus buy-ups, the new layout seems to pushing purchasing an Economy Plus Bundle rather than buying up to a specific seat and its specific (and lower) price.

Previously, there would be a link with a message indicating that E+ was available "from $XX" (where$xx equals the lowest priced E+ seat), in addition to any links to available E+ bundles. Now, on a one-way reservation, I am only seeing a box at the top with "Stretch out in Economy Plus", the bundle price, and a "Learn More" button that leads to the page for purchasing the bundle. The E+ only bundle price is $105, yet individual E+ seats are available on the seat map from $86 to $107.

On another one-way reservation. the E+ only bundle price is lower on the page, under a "Popular with Travelers Like You" section with links to multiple bundles. The E+ only bundle price is $88, yet individual E+ seats are available on the seat map from $53 to $89.

And on yet another R/T reservation. there is the box at the top with "Stretch out in Economy Plus", the bundle price, and a "Learn More" button that leads to the page for purchasing the bundle. The E+ only bundle price is $90/$97 (inbound/outbound), yet individual E+ seats are available on the seat map from $69 to $97/$75 to $105.

This change seems deceptive. There are now only links to a higher priced bundle, and NO indication on the main reservation page regarding the price of individual E+ seats.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I really don't like the new look. I am not sure what the motivation is to go from functional to "pretty". If UA wants to go pretty, that's fine, but at least make it easily readable.
Miggles likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I really don't like the new look. I am not sure what the motivation is to go from functional to "pretty". If UA wants to go pretty, that's fine, but at least make it easily readable.
Yeah, the white space is just too much. The old site, while outdated, was at least easy to read.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:38 pm
mr8
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Anyone figure out how to force the "old" site to load?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
the new layout seems to pushing purchasing an Economy Plus Bundle
I love how I am getting this even though I am in an E+ seat and have free checked bags as a result of my status & credit card.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mr8
In Google Chrome, select New Incognito Window, and type united.com.

Voila!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Interestingly, I get the old site when I use my Windows 7 computer and the new site when I use my Windows 10 computer. I really don't like the new layout. The old one (not that old!) has a lot of information right there on the home screen, where with the new one, you have to look for links. What was the point of the downgrade?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I love how I am getting this even though I am in an E+ seat and have free checked bags as a result of my status & credit card.
"Popular with travelers like you" section is great, since it clearly isn't even doing the most rudimentary screens on status and benefits. Although "Cozy furniture" as a selling point for the United Club is laugh-out-loud funny.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
What a kludge - old look for the home page, login to look at reservations and get the old page, then click on a reservation and get the new page, click on seats - old page with bad formatting. I'd say their UAT process is broken or they just don't care how bad it looks.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Whoa! Seems to only be the reservation page (seat selection, upgrade, etc are still old format). Anyone notice the animation of the plane moving down the runway when the browser is thinking?
Yup, I notice it a lot because the new site is AMAZINGLY SLOW to load compared to the old one. Such a bad move on United's part, unless the goal is to prevent people from checking their flights. There is so much evidence that page performance makes a huge difference for abandonment.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Woo, switched to the new layout for Reservations for me too :/

I am not a frequent United flyer, but it seems like they have followed Delta's lead in creating a "new" webpage with a lot of white space and large font type. It will definitely take some getting used to. Oh, and it is a lot slower than before
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:27 pm

Oy. I am not a fan of this change, which just started showing up on my reservation page today. It is so slow and puts a ton of irrelevant information on you reservation. For example, showing an upgrade option when already booked into business on 2-cabin plane and suggesting the purchase of a United Club pass when flying out of SFO in Polaris. Also, my kid is not showing up as a traveller on a reservation that is a few months out. If I click on change seats, she shows up. She also shows up as a traveller on the app. The little airplane is cute, but I am sick of staring at it for so long.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:30 pm
mr8
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by mr8
Found it.

How to get the old layout back
  1. Delete the cookie named: newHP
  2. Go directly to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/
  3. Enjoy it while it lasts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.