Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SFO777
Originally Posted by mr8
How to get the old layout back
  1. Delete the cookie named: newHP
  2. Go directly to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/
  3. Enjoy it while it lasts
United Airlines' Redesigned Homepage Takes Off

Airline unveils new homepage with improved functionality and more personalized experience

CHICAGO, July 12, 2018

Today, United Airlines (UAL) announced the redesigned united.com homepage, featuring a more personalized digital experience for each customer and an updated, more modern, user-friendly design. The new homepage was created to better tailor the experience for customers, while also improving functionality and ease of use.

Some of the key highlights of the new homepage include:
  • A more contemporary, user-friendly design
  • Content personalized based on customer's MileagePlus status as well as upcoming, current and previous trips
  • A new display that is fully responsive for optimal viewing on desktop and mobile devices
  • A travel inspiration integration section that allows customers to explore curated content from different destinations United serves will be available later this year

"Each one of our customers is unique and has different needs for his or her travel, and our goal with this new homepage is to provide customers with a more seamless experience," said Praveen Sharma, vice president of digital products and analytics. "

Personalizing our digital offerings is just another step towards giving our customers the experience and the products that they ask for."United's homepage is the starting point where most of its customers begin their journey. These latest efforts reiterate the airline's dedication to improving the travel experience for its customers, beginning before they book a flight.

The airline first began rolling out the new homepage in April, and continued expanding to more and more users, while adding additional functionality throughout the phased roll out. The site will be live to all customers in early August.

Earlier this year, United updated its mobile website, adding a more optimized display, additional flexibility to adjust flights throughout the site, Japanese language and point of sale and more. The new design of United's homepage will also appear on the airline's mobile website, creating a more seamless experience when managing travel and bookings across a variety of different devices.

Today's announcement is just the latest in United's commitment to invest in all of its platforms to give customers the tools and information they desire to travel with ease.
Another workaround is a non-US site.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/ca/
Print Wikipost

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Old May 20, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I suppose it would be more accurate to say they don't do any testing, optimization, etc WELL. It's true that all companies try to do those things nowadays, but with varying degrees of commitment and success. The core of the UA website is search, if you can't find the flight you want you can't book it. This functionality is...okay, not great. It's slow, could have better filtering and sorting options, and breaks if you make a few changes. If we're the edge cases, it's because we put up with this stuff, we're all high intention. The normal consumer will leave, and a picture of palm trees won't fix that
Miggles likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Appears the beta site will no longer be beta in early August
United Airlines' Redesigned Homepage Takes Off

Airline unveils new homepage with improved functionality and more personalized experience

CHICAGO, July 12, 2018

Today, United Airlines (UAL) announced the redesigned united.com homepage, featuring a more personalized digital experience for each customer and an updated, more modern, user-friendly design. The new homepage was created to better tailor the experience for customers, while also improving functionality and ease of use.

Some of the key highlights of the new homepage include:
  • A more contemporary, user-friendly design
  • Content personalized based on customer's MileagePlus status as well as upcoming, current and previous trips
  • A new display that is fully responsive for optimal viewing on desktop and mobile devices
  • A travel inspiration integration section that allows customers to explore curated content from different destinations United serves will be available later this year

"Each one of our customers is unique and has different needs for his or her travel, and our goal with this new homepage is to provide customers with a more seamless experience," said Praveen Sharma, vice president of digital products and analytics. "

Personalizing our digital offerings is just another step towards giving our customers the experience and the products that they ask for."United's homepage is the starting point where most of its customers begin their journey. These latest efforts reiterate the airline's dedication to improving the travel experience for its customers, beginning before they book a flight.

The airline first began rolling out the new homepage in April, and continued expanding to more and more users, while adding additional functionality throughout the phased roll out. The site will be live to all customers in early August.

Earlier this year, United updated its mobile website, adding a more optimized display, additional flexibility to adjust flights throughout the site, Japanese language and point of sale and more. The new design of United's homepage will also appear on the airline's mobile website, creating a more seamless experience when managing travel and bookings across a variety of different devices.

Today's announcement is just the latest in United's commitment to invest in all of its platforms to give customers the tools and information they desire to travel with ease.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A new home page littered with an array of distracting ads while the rest of the website design hails from the late 90s. Another half-hearted, penny pinching update on their most important sales and information channel.

Add it to the list of updates like the nose to tail remodel of the P.S. 757s but leave the nasty 1991 lavs untouched, buy new white kiosks but use the same tiny screens, refresh clubs with new furniture while the entire club really needs a gut remodel, Polaris cabin on the 767 but we cant spring for mood lighting, etc. etc.
porciuscato and claaaaaydavis like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I am sure they have the data over what percentage of customers are using tablets and phones to book flights but I think the more interesting metric would be what percentage of your revenue is booked on a screen with your finger vs a real desktop OS. Are road warriors constantly booking using these crappy Kettle friendly UIs?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
It's live now!!!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:59 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Oh, yuck. Yes, it is.

But, it doesn't rectify a problem I've had for the last couple months. When I go to the united.com log-in screen, I get United States | English as the default region/language. However, after entering MP acct #/password, I get switched to the "we cannot recognize this device" screen to answer two security questions in order to sign on.

With the old web page after the two security questions it would automatically be switched to Thailand | English. This is presumably because my MP account is registered to a Thai address, though until a couple months ago, that didn't matter -- it still logged me as the US English (without any security questions.)

With the new ex-beta version, I don't seem to be logged in as a Thailand location since fares are in USD, but I still have to answer security questions. Every. Time. I. Log. In. AAARGH.

(And, yes, I select the radio button for remembering this device...)

(And, yes, I've deleted all united.com cookies, but the situation doesn't change.)
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:05 am

ugly.... why would they move the from and to above and below rather than along side..

how may times have i put the to in the date field...
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I still get the old page, thank goodness. Maybe they aren't switching me over until later since I was so scathing when they asked me to test it
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
terrible new web page. Now I get asked for my security questions every time I log in
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
United.com just changed

Just went on to united.com and its totally changed. Not sure how I feel about it!

www.united.com

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2018 at 10:23 pm Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:13 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by cfischer
terrible new web page. Now I get asked for my security questions every time I log in
Aha! So, it's not just me. I assume you have a US-based MP address on file, though?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:16 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Do you mean the background changed or the functionality? All I can see is the background change with the options being San Francisco/Warriors or the credit card, everything else appears to be the same.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Aha! So, it's not just me. I assume you have a US-based MP address on file, though?
Happened to me also. Worse yet, after signing in, page freezes, cannot navigate. Why go live when it obviously is not ready for prime time?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Typical useless United.
Their website STILL cannot book ANC-NRT flights.
This has been going on for nearly a decade, and was a flaw with the legacy CO website.
You really can't book any ANC-Asia flights. No search results. You have to multi-city yourself through Denver.
Wake me up when it/UA gets better, and I'll bring my revenue back.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Leave Good Enough Alone!

The new design is awful and not compact. What was wrong with the old one?
I like all of my data and options quickly visible without having to go to multiple sub-menus, and I loathe click-bait distractions.
It seems like the Fakebook influenced UA's web designers.

The best search engine in the world is the ITA Matrix and it is plain jane, but wonderfully functional.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.