Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SFO777
Originally Posted by mr8
How to get the old layout back
  1. Delete the cookie named: newHP
  2. Go directly to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/
  3. Enjoy it while it lasts
United Airlines' Redesigned Homepage Takes Off

Airline unveils new homepage with improved functionality and more personalized experience

CHICAGO, July 12, 2018

Today, United Airlines (UAL) announced the redesigned united.com homepage, featuring a more personalized digital experience for each customer and an updated, more modern, user-friendly design. The new homepage was created to better tailor the experience for customers, while also improving functionality and ease of use.

Some of the key highlights of the new homepage include:
  • A more contemporary, user-friendly design
  • Content personalized based on customer's MileagePlus status as well as upcoming, current and previous trips
  • A new display that is fully responsive for optimal viewing on desktop and mobile devices
  • A travel inspiration integration section that allows customers to explore curated content from different destinations United serves will be available later this year

"Each one of our customers is unique and has different needs for his or her travel, and our goal with this new homepage is to provide customers with a more seamless experience," said Praveen Sharma, vice president of digital products and analytics. "

Personalizing our digital offerings is just another step towards giving our customers the experience and the products that they ask for."United's homepage is the starting point where most of its customers begin their journey. These latest efforts reiterate the airline's dedication to improving the travel experience for its customers, beginning before they book a flight.

The airline first began rolling out the new homepage in April, and continued expanding to more and more users, while adding additional functionality throughout the phased roll out. The site will be live to all customers in early August.

Earlier this year, United updated its mobile website, adding a more optimized display, additional flexibility to adjust flights throughout the site, Japanese language and point of sale and more. The new design of United's homepage will also appear on the airline's mobile website, creating a more seamless experience when managing travel and bookings across a variety of different devices.

Today's announcement is just the latest in United's commitment to invest in all of its platforms to give customers the tools and information they desire to travel with ease.
Another workaround is a non-US site.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/ca/
Print Wikipost

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I checked it out, and oh man, it is not pretty. For one thing, why are all the input fields so huge?
It's called mobile-friendly.

And The Google may penalize your ranking on mobile devices if your input fields aren't huge (amongst many other things).
Old May 14, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla
It's called mobile-friendly.

And The Google may penalize your ranking on mobile devices if your input fields aren't huge (amongst many other things).
Oh, really? I never heard of this. But at least they could keep two versions...
Old May 14, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I think they're trying to appeal to the huge, underserved demographic of five-year olds who book all their own travel
iluv2fly, In2ishn and goodeats21 like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
United's new home page

Thoughts?
Old May 15, 2018, 2:15 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I don't see a new home page, am I missing something.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:17 pm
RJ1

Seems to be designed for mobile devices. Visually, it is meh.
halls120 likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I just got an email with a link to the new home page. It has no summary info on my travel statistics, which is a show stopper for me.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I think its ugly.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I just got an email with a link to the new home page. It has no summary info on my travel statistics, which is a show stopper for me.
I agree. I HATE not being able to see statistics on my activity
Old May 15, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
I think its ugly.
Not sure I think it is Ugly. It is different for sure but I definitely do not see any improvements or ease in navigating it
Old May 16, 2018, 11:36 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Hope this isn't prologue....it looks very similar to Frontier's.

Old May 16, 2018, 2:08 pm

I'm curious what problem they're trying to solve or what other objective they have here. Yes, it looks simpler, but that's not by and of itself better.

I personally find the changing background and advertisement for some service or other to be distracting.
Miggles and John Aldeborgh like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by windhund
I'm curious what problem they're trying to solve or what other objective they have here. Yes, it looks simpler, but that's not by and of itself better.

I personally find the changing background and advertisement for some service or other to be distracting.
I would guess the problem they're trying to solve is keeping the IT interns and recent college grads busy. I'm sure they're very excited to use their recently-learned web design skills to frustrate customers yet again with another new home page. It's amazing that with each new rollout, I think "well, at least it can't get any worse than this...".

The two biggest issues for me, at first glance, are 1) the stupid login bar on the side and top, rather than the nice prominent box on the current site. Why build in an extra click for this? And 2) I have to scroll down in reservations just to see my 2nd reservation???

The design probably does make some sense for phones. And it makes sense for entertainment or similar websites. But I'm a believer in airlines sites being more about function than form. I want to be able to do a lot of things from the home page, and I want to have a lot of information there without having to scroll or click through several pages. I use this type of site to book flights, and get relevant information (such as flight status). The current site was bad enough as I had to click on each box to bring up data entry, but this seems to have more scrolling and less information. Or maybe it just seems like it because all the content is so BIG. Can they at least reduce the fonts by half and fit more in a box?
Old May 16, 2018, 6:12 pm

At least the new home page uses fairly standard tabs. The weird expanding boxes on the old site felt like some windows-8 inspired garbage. Pretty unresponsive to boot (did I really need to wait 2 seconds for a box expanding animation?)
Old May 17, 2018, 8:16 am

I tend to prefer evolutionary change rather than revolutionary change. What’s wrong with slowly evolving the current design, allowing users to digest one small change at a time. It took UA a good 2 years after the merger to fix the first revision of the combined company’s website. Generally speaking web design is not a core competency of UA. They shouldn’t do anything to confuse customers as it only shifts the burden to the phone agents.
getagb likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.