Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SFO777
Originally Posted by mr8
How to get the old layout back
  1. Delete the cookie named: newHP
  2. Go directly to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/
  3. Enjoy it while it lasts
United Airlines' Redesigned Homepage Takes Off

Airline unveils new homepage with improved functionality and more personalized experience

CHICAGO, July 12, 2018

Today, United Airlines (UAL) announced the redesigned united.com homepage, featuring a more personalized digital experience for each customer and an updated, more modern, user-friendly design. The new homepage was created to better tailor the experience for customers, while also improving functionality and ease of use.

Some of the key highlights of the new homepage include:
  • A more contemporary, user-friendly design
  • Content personalized based on customer's MileagePlus status as well as upcoming, current and previous trips
  • A new display that is fully responsive for optimal viewing on desktop and mobile devices
  • A travel inspiration integration section that allows customers to explore curated content from different destinations United serves will be available later this year

"Each one of our customers is unique and has different needs for his or her travel, and our goal with this new homepage is to provide customers with a more seamless experience," said Praveen Sharma, vice president of digital products and analytics. "

Personalizing our digital offerings is just another step towards giving our customers the experience and the products that they ask for."United's homepage is the starting point where most of its customers begin their journey. These latest efforts reiterate the airline's dedication to improving the travel experience for its customers, beginning before they book a flight.

The airline first began rolling out the new homepage in April, and continued expanding to more and more users, while adding additional functionality throughout the phased roll out. The site will be live to all customers in early August.

Earlier this year, United updated its mobile website, adding a more optimized display, additional flexibility to adjust flights throughout the site, Japanese language and point of sale and more. The new design of United's homepage will also appear on the airline's mobile website, creating a more seamless experience when managing travel and bookings across a variety of different devices.

Today's announcement is just the latest in United's commitment to invest in all of its platforms to give customers the tools and information they desire to travel with ease.
Another workaround is a non-US site.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/ca/
Print Wikipost

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by RNE
If ever. I've been waiting for 10+ minutes now. (I know how to get around the problem, but I'm curious how long this fail will keep going.)
Yeah, this is annoying. If you just stop and reload the page, it then comes up immediately.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
More bad new yuk: Upgrade Your Flight page now has content that's clearly from .beta since it a) wastes s p a c e and b) is less intelligent/intelligible than the old upgrade page.

Sigh.

David
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Apparently a lot of changes last few days with more to come as they add in the Premium Economy functionalities, according to a rep I spoke to this morning. The web site is really at it's worst point that I can remember, ever, for functionality. Hopefully this pain will decrease with time, but when you think back to the days of what you could do on EasySabre we have truly retrogressed. There is so much useless information on the website. Not sure if Delta or AA's is any better, but very basic things like upgrading a W fare with a GPU is almost impossible. Color me me unimpressed.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
h dear - when trying to use an RPU/GPU to upgrade that option now shows up under "Use miles to upgrade" ... Good thing I looked twice at that screen.

...but when I did select to upgrade using an RPU it threw an error.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every once in a while the main page just doesn't display anything at all for me. I get a blank white screen. Deleting all my united.com cookies temporarily fixes this.

Turning off ublock origin does not help.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
United.com snapped something inside me today, so partially apologize for this rant which in the big picture is, I believe, not just my frustration.

What happened to the mileage calculator?

What happened to future miles indicator from flights booked but not flown?

Those were helpful tools that might actually entice a little more business to UA.

Instead we still have a flight rebooking tool that has not worked properly in 10 years and probably much longer. Filters don't work, its fare quotes are wrong, flights displayed so often not the connection you want, etc.

What the Bleep is going on with website IT management? I now know to use the website as a vague reference to reality which only calling into a real agent can confirm. I like booking my own flights, but .bomb has just burned one time too many.

To be fair, United does have a few good unique, helpful features like 'where is this plane coming from' but important components have been left broken for years and other helpful functions seem to be disappearing. It's time United finally started something from scratch and pay for it by forgoing all the junk food snacks mid-flight on long hauls, keep C&D midfield Dulles as is (cuz it actually does work for the most part), and even peel budget on further EWR C terminal upgrades (my home airport) which I minimize time at but compared to JFK/LGA it mostly works competitively with what it has.

As for the Mileage Plus page, it sells the services of so many low-brow 'partners' that are non-aviation related one might be forgiven for failing to catch on this is an airline website. Fine with the Chase stuff ( but Marriott is currently a little toxic). Overall our award winning Mileage Plus's (this is not sarcasm I like the program) home on the internet is a little too far trashy, it's branding horribly tacky and inconsistently applied by a "design team". I'm not even saying if I like/dislike UA's branding, or pondering whether it is actually considered leading edge, world class? I'm saying the loyalty program pages are a such a huge fail in usefulness , coupled with aesthetics that feel designed by people either full of contempt for UA or apparently regularly popping acid.

Heads should have rolled years ago, I'd be surprised if some haven't. Just not the right ones. United.com just gets worse and worse as technology increasingly revolutionizes the rest of the world. Sadly for customers technology and pride bypassed the digital production and art departments, and management who seem to have given a much lower priority to IT than quarterly EPS growth. Too many web transactions only elicit "Error" which may have wasted you 20 minutes, or all might be fine when you log out and return. There is little to inspire confidence the next systemwide outage on United's internet and IT offerings is far off. Terrible to say because the consequences are nothing in comparison, but does no-one feel sometimes you're in the twilight zone, waiting for the big one to hit California. Like it's coming but nobody can predict when?

One thing that is consistently present and easy to find featured - legal disclaimers. Appear everywhere like the one below that makes me think a little too often - am I making shady transactions which will banish me to another enterprise?

Program rules

The accrual of miles and Premier qualifying credits, redemption of awards and provision of benefits through the United MileagePlus program, including the Premier Program, are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the MileagePlus program.

See the complete rules and details of the MileagePlus program

Second last parting thought - is the language of fare rules really in English, and is the length just another deliberate way to ensure the vast majority of humans will never understand them?

The website is currently all lights on and no-one's home. I'd rather someone tell me I'm flat out wrong.

Adam

Last edited by adambrau; Dec 1, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:11 am

Trip Plan functionality seems broken.

I created a new Trip Plan by adding two reservations together. The website created this and named it to 'Trip Plan 1'. However, none of the Trip Buttons work on this Trip Plan 1, so I cannot add or delete further reservations, rename the trip plan, or modify it in anyway. All buttons take me back to the main page.

My previously created Trip Plan buttons appear to have full function.

I cancelled one of the reservations under the new 'Trip Plan 1', which it let me do and was the only way I found to delete a reservation from the Trip Plan. But now I have the other reservation still stuck inside 'Trip Plan 1' and I can't remove it or put it inside another reservation or anything else. I don't want to cancel the second reservation and pay the penalty for ticket cancellation, just to get rid of the trip plan.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a workaround?

All the Trip Plan buttons (for old and new TripPlans) have links that take you to pages that end in ... TY=T&AC=VI&TN=*******, where the *'s are numbers - I assume that this has been mapped incorrectly for newly created Trip Plans in some database?

Thanks
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA EC gold UA gold—MM Hilton Diamond Hertz Presidents Circle
I have had the same problem over the last few weeks but sadly have not found a work around. Just keep hoping that it gets fixed!!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by under2100
Trip Plan functionality seems broken.

I created a new Trip Plan by adding two reservations together. The website created this and named it to 'Trip Plan 1'. However, none of the Trip Buttons work on this Trip Plan 1, so I cannot add or delete further reservations, rename the trip plan, or modify it in anyway. All buttons take me back to the main page.

My previously created Trip Plan buttons appear to have full function.

I cancelled one of the reservations under the new 'Trip Plan 1', which it let me do and was the only way I found to delete a reservation from the Trip Plan. But now I have the other reservation still stuck inside 'Trip Plan 1' and I can't remove it or put it inside another reservation or anything else. I don't want to cancel the second reservation and pay the penalty for ticket cancellation, just to get rid of the trip plan.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a workaround?

All the Trip Plan buttons (for old and new TripPlans) have links that take you to pages that end in ... TY=T&AC=VI&TN=*******, where the *'s are numbers - I assume that this has been mapped incorrectly for newly created Trip Plans in some database?

Thanks
I know exactly what you're talking about -- it's been that way for a long time. It's extremely annoying.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Doesn't United have a bug-reporting bonus? I wonder if this bug would qualify.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Doesn't United have a bug-reporting bonus? I wonder if this bug would qualify.
No, UA has a bug bounty for system security bugs
United Airlines Bug Bounty Program - Up to 1,000,000 points

United Airlines bug bounty program
A bug bounty program permits independent researchers to discover and report security issues that affect the confidentiality, integrity and/or availability of customer or company information and rewards them for being the first to discover a bug.
Nothing for usability issues
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by adambrau
United.com snapped something inside me today, so partially apologize for this rant which in the big picture is, I believe, not just my frustration.

What happened to the mileage calculator?

What happened to future miles indicator from flights booked but not flown?

Those were helpful tools that might actually entice a little more business to UA.

Instead we still have a flight rebooking tool that has not worked properly in 10 years and probably much longer. Filters don't work, its fare quotes are wrong, flights displayed so often not the connection you want, etc.

What the Bleep is going on with website IT management? I now know to use the website as a vague reference to reality which only calling into a real agent can confirm. I like booking my own flights, but .bomb has just burned one time too many.

To be fair, United does have a few good unique, helpful features like 'where is this plane coming from' but important components have been left broken for years and other helpful functions seem to be disappearing. It's time United finally started something from scratch and pay for it by forgoing all the junk food snacks mid-flight on long hauls, keep C&D midfield Dulles as is (cuz it actually does work for the most part), and even peel budget on further EWR C terminal upgrades (my home airport) which I minimize time at but compared to JFK/LGA it mostly works competitively with what it has.

As for the Mileage Plus page, it sells the services of so many low-brow 'partners' that are non-aviation related one might be forgiven for failing to catch on this is an airline website. Fine with the Chase stuff ( but Marriott is currently a little toxic). Overall our award winning Mileage Plus's (this is not sarcasm I like the program) home on the internet is a little too far trashy, it's branding horribly tacky and inconsistently applied by a "design team". I'm not even saying if I like/dislike UA's branding, or pondering whether it is actually considered leading edge, world class? I'm saying the loyalty program pages are a such a huge fail in usefulness , coupled with aesthetics that feel designed by people either full of contempt for UA or apparently regularly popping acid.

Heads should have rolled years ago, I'd be surprised if some haven't. Just not the right ones. United.com just gets worse and worse as technology increasingly revolutionizes the rest of the world. Sadly for customers technology and pride bypassed the digital production and art departments, and management who seem to have given a much lower priority to IT than quarterly EPS growth. Too many web transactions only elicit "Error" which may have wasted you 20 minutes, or all might be fine when you log out and return. There is little to inspire confidence the next systemwide outage on United's internet and IT offerings is far off. Terrible to say because the consequences are nothing in comparison, but does no-one feel sometimes you're in the twilight zone, waiting for the big one to hit California. Like it's coming but nobody can predict when?

One thing that is consistently present and easy to find featured - legal disclaimers. Appear everywhere like the one below that makes me think a little too often - am I making shady transactions which will banish me to another enterprise?

Program rules

The accrual of miles and Premier qualifying credits, redemption of awards and provision of benefits through the United MileagePlus program, including the Premier Program, are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the MileagePlus program.

See the complete rules and details of the MileagePlus program

Second last parting thought - is the language of fare rules really in English, and is the length just another deliberate way to ensure the vast majority of humans will never understand them?

The website is currently all lights on and no-one's home. I'd rather someone tell me I'm flat out wrong.

Adam
Please... copy and paste this and send to UA. I completely and 100% agree with everything written and each "enhancement" they add leaves ten broken features in its tracks. You are a GS... maybe the will notice. I'm curious to see what they have to say to you. It's enough. We spend the money here... at least give us a website that is workable. You want your agents to be freed up so there are less hold times... maybe design a website so that even slightly complex itineraries can be booked without error. Give that a try.
chavala and Kannai like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
The website does seem to have been going down in functionality. Now I see a return of the issue that it will not show you the business class upgrade (i.e., the economy cost, red/green/yellow balloon, and upgrade availability info) and the cost of buying business class outright at the same time. Just economy, premium economy and economy cost with upgrade cost..
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
The website does seem to have been going down in functionality. Now I see a return of the issue that it will not show you the business class upgrade (i.e., the economy cost, red/green/yellow balloon, and upgrade availability info) and the cost of buying business class outright at the same time. Just economy, premium economy and economy cost with upgrade cost..
And if you want to use an UG one way and buy Biz the other, you can't. Not only that, if you select UG you can't even see the Biz class seat map -- it's greyed out.
I've never seen it this bad -- I've been fighting with it all weekend and I'm getting really frustrated.

Edit to add: I found a work-around. If you select Business Class Cabin AND Upgrade you can see both fares / seat maps.

Last edited by chavala; Dec 10, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I just discovered a really elementary bug. My password manager inserted a space after my MP number. The site failed to trim off the trailing space and said it was an invalid number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.