Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SFO777
Originally Posted by mr8
How to get the old layout back
  1. Delete the cookie named: newHP
  2. Go directly to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/
  3. Enjoy it while it lasts
United Airlines' Redesigned Homepage Takes Off

Airline unveils new homepage with improved functionality and more personalized experience

CHICAGO, July 12, 2018

Today, United Airlines (UAL) announced the redesigned united.com homepage, featuring a more personalized digital experience for each customer and an updated, more modern, user-friendly design. The new homepage was created to better tailor the experience for customers, while also improving functionality and ease of use.

Some of the key highlights of the new homepage include:
  • A more contemporary, user-friendly design
  • Content personalized based on customer's MileagePlus status as well as upcoming, current and previous trips
  • A new display that is fully responsive for optimal viewing on desktop and mobile devices
  • A travel inspiration integration section that allows customers to explore curated content from different destinations United serves will be available later this year

"Each one of our customers is unique and has different needs for his or her travel, and our goal with this new homepage is to provide customers with a more seamless experience," said Praveen Sharma, vice president of digital products and analytics. "

Personalizing our digital offerings is just another step towards giving our customers the experience and the products that they ask for."United's homepage is the starting point where most of its customers begin their journey. These latest efforts reiterate the airline's dedication to improving the travel experience for its customers, beginning before they book a flight.

The airline first began rolling out the new homepage in April, and continued expanding to more and more users, while adding additional functionality throughout the phased roll out. The site will be live to all customers in early August.

Earlier this year, United updated its mobile website, adding a more optimized display, additional flexibility to adjust flights throughout the site, Japanese language and point of sale and more. The new design of United's homepage will also appear on the airline's mobile website, creating a more seamless experience when managing travel and bookings across a variety of different devices.

Today's announcement is just the latest in United's commitment to invest in all of its platforms to give customers the tools and information they desire to travel with ease.
Another workaround is a non-US site.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/ca/
Print Wikipost

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Boraxo
For booking there is an option for one-way (which I always use) and miles. The new format does not have either of these items.
I had no problem searching for a one way booking on the beta site. There is a radio button you click to mark the search as one way and the return date field disappears.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Would be nice for UA to spend the energy fixing the back end and booking engine rather than fiddling with the font and graphics on the landing page.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
The website gets worse every time they "enhance" it. No reason to believe this one will be different.
This.

My initial thought was, "Worse." Then I tried to use the booking engine... and yeah, definitely worse. The "all search options" link adds an "award travel" and "nonstop" checkbox--great "extra" options, United. Where are the fare code restrictions, upgrade options, etc.?!
Old May 2, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by exerda
This.

My initial thought was, "Worse." Then I tried to use the booking engine... and yeah, definitely worse. The "all search options" link adds an "award travel" and "nonstop" checkbox--great "extra" options, United. Where are the fare code restrictions, upgrade options, etc.?!
Is expert mode still in place though? That was the worst when that disappeared for weeks on end...
Old May 2, 2018, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
This.

It's still there.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
I had no problem searching for a one way booking on the beta site. There is a radio button you click to mark the search as one way and the return date field disappears.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Tabbing from the "From" field never reaches "To" (if the suggestion box loads). How do you search for anything? Use the mouse???
Old May 2, 2018, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Got it thanks - I was just commenting on the home page layout and did not click through anything.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:08 pm

I don't understand how United chooses to allocate its information technology budget.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Some of the backgrounds could be on a hotel site. Obviously they won’t want to show glossy zooms of a 10-across knee crusher in Y on the 777s, but nothing to do with flight whatsoever is odd.

seems like they want to compete with travel portals and feature hotel and car and package bookings rather than pure flights

this would have been good for PMUA when it owned Westin and Hertz (and Hilton???)
Old May 2, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by elbejt2
I don't understand how United chooses to allocate its information technology budget.
revenue gain opportunity. Who cares about post sales support - that havevthe money already.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:36 pm
mr8
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by AceReport
Would be nice for UA to spend the energy fixing the back end and booking engine rather than fiddling with the font and graphics on the landing page.
I don't know.. have you seen the front end update...? Probably best if they just leave the back end as is. We don't need any additional enhancements!
Originally Posted by elbejt2
The funny thing is that they just updated their mobile site last month: New mobile.united.com site? and they're redoing it again with this update.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
In my first click this is already a fail and I will not use it.

Enter the "From" city and click tab. Tab simply takes you between your entry, the airport(s) that come up based on your entry and the "X" to close the airports list. It doesn't take you to the "To" city as it is supposed to and as it does on the existing website. I am a total keyboard user and will only use the mouse sparingly. This beta site can't even let me enter a simple search so I will not use it.

-RM
Old May 3, 2018, 12:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Enter the "From" city and click tab. Tab simply takes you between your entry, the airport(s) that come up based on your entry and the "X" to close the airports list. It doesn't take you to the "To" city as it is supposed to and as it does on the existing website. ....
Actually it does work the way you want but in a slightly diferent manner. TAB does, at first, just rotate you thru the choices. Once have your desired choice selected, hit Enter. Now TAB will take you to the next field
Old May 3, 2018, 6:44 am

Looks like an update to make it easier for the 1-2x a year flier to get started more quickly - Kirby's half the revenue from the 1x a year fliers. Lessons from that and Allegiant on the upsell / package.

As long as they don't remove features for advanced users fine with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.